Stuff you did as a kid? Glad to still be here?

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
We gnawed/teethed on our cribs which were (most likely) painted with lead-based paint !
(that, and the bars were 'just the right size' to trap your head in there if you weren't careful)

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Some of things we did........

Well, we use to take our shotguns with us to school in our vehicles and afterwards we head out and dove hunt.

Use to ride three wheelers all over. Flew off the a bridge once and woke up in the creek with my buddies getting the three wheeler off me.

As a young kid, we would climb the side of the church building that was stone and race to the top to see who could touch the cross first. Then we added a level to the game, you had to slide down the rough to the entrance and then slide down a pole to the ground to win. Sadly, after the fifth match up for the evening, parents caught us and I was to sore to participate in the game anymore once my dad got done with me.

We went around the neighborhood soap cars until Sgt. Hill caught us. We had to go back with the Sgt. to each house and clean every vehicle and apologize to the owner. Then Sgt. Hill took each one of us to our parents and I would of preferred to go to jail with Sgt. than face may dad. I stopped the soaping of vehicles after this incident.

We would go to the local pond that was the overflow for the street water runoff and slide down the concrete chute to the pond. Sadly, several years later a kid drowned there and they put a fence around it to prevent anyone from doing that in the future.

We use to play war with single pump bb guns in the woods behind our house. Never put an eye out, but we had lots of fun (the early version of paintball wars).

Road in the back of the pickup truck a LOT.

Played with lawn darts and we modified the game of course, you got bounce points if you hit your opponent.

Quickly learned that climbing the tree was a lot more fun than falling out of the tree.

I guess I can go on, such as jumping from the roof on a dare........

Yet, as dangerous as the childhood was, it was fun time. We got in trouble, we learned boundaries, learned to respect property and people, and learned that actions had consequences. During my childhood I only had one friend that died and that was playing soccer and running out in front of a care to chase the ball. We all learned a valuable lesson then. To this day, I check both directions multiple times before I enter the road.

Reactions: 1 user

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Does riding on top of 50 bales of hay piled in the bed of a 57 ford 1/2 ton across the field. count ?
Or on the draw bar of a tractor, holding onto the seat while dad drives down the highway. 🙄🙄🙄 My brother and I were the weight for the back blade to get it to dig in better while dad graded the driveway as well.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
We grew up watching Dukes of hazard 😁😁😁 Anything we could get airborne..... well we did. Sled.... yup 😁😁😁 Ski's.... well of course. The further the distance and higher the better 😁😁😁 Bicycle.... absolutely 😁😁😁 3 wheeler 😳😳😳 Yup 😁😁😁😁 4 wheeler saw more hang time then Michael Jordan 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

Got knocked out a couple times after icing up our trail and ramp to get more speed while sledding. Dislocated a shoulder skiing in a hold my hot chocolate moment. Went off a jump, and my skis dropped through some crusty snow when I landed. My feet stopped while the rest of me didn't. 😳😳😳 you actually bounce about 3 feet into the air when face planting like that at a high rate of speed 😕😕😕

We had a brainiac idea when we were around 12yo to pull our hats down over our eyes, and slide down a tree covered hill side on our sleds. 😁😁😁😁 The one who made it closest to the bottom of the hill won!!! 😁😁😁😁😁

A 1" sapling to the twig and berries was a come to Jesus moment on why this wasn't such a smart idea 🙄🙄🙄🙄

SAR Tracker

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, FEL, LX2963 Snowblower, BH77 Backhoe, forks
Nov 17, 2020
Central Oregon
We'd take bottle rockets, and a piece of pipe, and shoot them at each other like a bazooka.

tried making "jet assist takeoff" (JATO) for the model planes, but forgot the bottle rockets had an explosive charge...... so much for THAT model plane!

Lived relatively close to Disneyland, back when they'd sell ticket books (think "E Ticket Ride")for the rides, but you got into the park for free. We'd do "scavenger hunts" for stuff like a wooden clothes pin, a plastic spoon, and an e-ticket from D-land. A family always used to come home with several books of tickets, so just about every house had some. We'd SCORE! Then talk some mom the next day into driving us to the park, and call her on the pay phone to pick us up.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
At 14, I decided I'd build a swanky tree house. Not like I was gonna share it with anyone, because there was no one else to share it with, so I knew I'd have few arguments about who was allowed in it. My sister (15) had absolutely no interest in country/farm living, so I NEVER worried about her invading my domains. Ennyhoo, I picked out a tree near the hay barn, a ginormous white oak about 75 feet tall. The first limb was at least 30 feet from the ground, and there happened to be two with a reasonable similarity and pitch on which I figured I could make a "level" floor. Started by building the ladder on the tree (I pity the soul that ever touches that tree with a chain saw). Got my rope and pulley up to a higher limb, and started building the frame. (Did I mention my mother knew NOTHING of this?) Couple days later, after finishing whatever chores I had, she informed me she'd seen my plans, and did NOT like them and that I wasn't to continue. It'll be OK, Mom. Started putting the floor on this thing, and was backing up to put another board down, and discovered gravity. I remember seeing the underside of my tree house, and knowing I was NOT on the ladder, nor in anyway attached to that tree, and the ground was coming up VERY fast. Somehow, I landed flat on my back (about 4 inches from a big gnarly root stickingout) in a deep pile of leaves that was pretty much undisturbed. I didn't break anything, but I was not happy about my current state. I didn't realize it, but apparently instinct made me scream on the way down. My mother had heard it. So, I'm laying on the ground, wind knocked out of me, can't breathe, and knowing every time she called and I didn't answer, my situation at home was deteriorating very quickly. It took me long enough to answer, that she decided to come check on me. Fortunately, when she got there, I was bipedal and breathing and trying to talk and checking for broken bones. I did NOT tell her I'd fallen from the platform. (pretty sure I didn't really need to). But, the tree-house building came to a close that day, because standing there, realizing how close I'd come to dying, I suddenly couldn't come up with a reason to have a private clubhouse with no other members.

At 15, I was taking Vocational Agriculture in school, and every year, as part of FFA membership, we had to do some kind of projects at home and track all the costs, etc, etc. to earn our semester grades. In the spring, I decided to build a concrete walk-way out to the clothes line for my mother. (For those of you that known it's purpose and construction, you know where this is going. Clotheslines are EVIL). I was driving a stake in the ground with a 12 pound sledge, and had apparently gotten just close enough for the hammer head to hook the first wire in the line. I remember feeling the hammer stop, changing direction (in a bad one), and thinking, "This is gonna hurt". I remember seeing the hammer coming back at me at what appeared to be 3 times the velocity I'd swung it. I remember then, seeing my toes and blue sky. That was the last I remembered, until I woke up. It was a very peaceful nap, until the pain woke me. I realized my right eye was swollen shut, and with my left, I could see I had a pretty wicked sunburn, so apparently, I'd been unconscious in the back yard for a while, and no one bothered to check on me. My step-dad's brother and sister-in-law were up for the weekend, and the SIL was in the kitchen when I came in the back door. My appearance must have been a little worse than I thought, because the first thing she did was scream. My mother came around the corner, took one look at me and said "What have you done now?" Needless to say, that reaction was not unfounded nor was she in anyway surprised I was injured. I seemed to be an accident looking for a place to happen from the time I was 14 until I finished high school. While the incident with the hammer was quite dangerous, the scarier part was I'd not moved my feet when I put a double-bit axe down and picked up the hammer. Apparently the hammer stretched my swing just that much further to catch the wire, but the axe was light enough I had it back far enough.

Same clothesline, about 4 months later (concrete walk-way abandoned for new wire on the chicken yard to avoid failing VoAg for the semester), my brother was visiting (didn't live with us) and we were chasing each other around on bicycles. I had the faster bike and was a little more accustomed to riding it in the country (he was a city boy). And, of course, I always knew exactly where I was and didn't really need to watch where I was going. Until that day. He was the chaser, I was the chasee, and I ran under the line on the bicycle, and still remember the horrifying sight of my bicycle still going without me.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
These are some great stories.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Once I could drive, I started exploring old abandoned mines all over Southern CA.

I still have a scar on my hand from when a friend and I were swordfighting with real swords.

Made guncotton and ignited it.

Did you know that iron powder can create a tower of flame if dumped over a lit match held over an oxygen generator?

Anyone remember those old chemistry sets with "real" chemicals? I don't remember how many different things I mixed....

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Once I could drive, I started exploring old abandoned mines all over Southern CA.

I still have a scar on my hand from when a friend and I were swordfighting with real swords.

Made guncotton and ignited it.

Did you know that iron powder can create a tower of flame if dumped over a lit match held over an oxygen generator?

Anyone remember those old chemistry sets with "real" chemicals? I don't remember how many different things I mixed....
Yes, I had one similar to this picture

1636574952780.png

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Growing up in a small rural farming community, we’d get together with the relatives each weekend and took turns at each other’s farmstead. At one grandparents place there was a huge black car hood that upside down and hooked up behind an old horse would pull all the kids around in the winter time. After a year or two, that got old and there was a need for more speed!

We had a bachelor uncle that liked his beer. He was always happy and loved to take us kids on joy rides…..much to our mother’s dismay! One year he said, “Let’s give the horse a rest and I’ll pull you behind my car.” The mother’s said no! The dad’s said, “Be careful!!” Who could say "no" to a dozen young cousins screaming for joy!

With orders to take it slow….off we went. Oldest cousins on the bottom layer, next in the middle, youngest ones hanging on to legs, arms, jackets, and anything else on the top layers. Big old rope from the hay mow must have been 75’ long pulling us behind the car. There were always at least 10 or more kids on that old hood.

Once out of sight of the house, the uncle asked if we wanted to go faster. Oh, yeah!! We’d be down in the ditch and airborne half of the time. He’d slow down for the field crossings that had culverts but there were a few in the high ground that didn’t. He’d yell out the window, “Hang on, kids!” Airborne and sheer terror for what seemed like forever.....until we landed on the other side.

To turn around we had to stop and line things up again because of the big ditches along the county roads. But on some of the field roads he would only slow down just a tad and we’d fly out across the shallow ditches and out into the fields before lining up with the tow car again.

Arms and legs flying all over the place, kids were always bounced off and came up with faces full of snow. It was a miracle that there were never any broken bones, lost teeth, black eyes. The last half mile going slowly back to the house gave us time to recover and to remember to only say that we wanted to go faster but “Uncle” wouldn’t do it.

One year on the way back to our house my dad noticed the hood tracks approaching the field crossing on one side but didn’t start up again until well past the other side of the crossing. At the next crossing the hood tracks swung way out into the field, back across the road and went the other direction….followed by a bunch of small footprints coming from a few different directions. But all he said was, “Looks like you kids had a fun ride today!” He knew, but I don’t think our mother caught on. Now those were some fun times!

Reactions: 1 users

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
A friend and I were about 12 years old. He got one of his sister's Barbie dolls. We duct taped a C-6 model rocket engine to Barbies back and launched her. She went over 100 ft in the air and started spinning up there. One of her legs melted.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Geez - - you guys from rural farms can relate.

I started driving tractors at 6, our C60 Chevy truck with cattle rack (doubled for milk can route) at 7-8. Sometimes on, or atleast crossing the roads.

At 7, I could back that old ‘Moline and manure spreader down our barn floors with a cows in. Took me a while to get it all lined up, but I could do it.

Betting I couldn’t do it today….:oops:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I could go on for days with this thread and the stupid stuff my brother and I did as kids 🤣😂🤣😂🤣

I'm an identical twin. If one of us didn't come up with something hairbrained and stupid to do, then the other one came up with it.

My brother and I were 3 or 4yo and climbing the lilac bush. Gram looked out the window and saw me hanging from the branch by my shoe laces 🤣😂🤣🤣😂😂

Another time we pushed gramps 70's cub cadet lawn mower out to the end of the driveway and then climbed on and road it down the hill. Came to a stop on a telephone pole.

Gramps came out, warmed our bottoms, and then made us push it back up the hill to the garage. Darn thing probably weighed 700 lbs. 😳😳😳

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
@bird dogger

We did the car hood thing too, but behind an old Jeep. My step-dad would cut in close to a slough in the pasture (that I had to remove the willows from every year) and the hood would skip across the slough like skipping a rock before finding the low bank on the other side, and then it would LAUNCH. Sometimes, he'd start turning, and I realized we were pretty much going sideways and looking at the side of the Jeep. We could feel the hood slowing down when he straightened back up, and knew there was a WICKED spinning jerk coming when the slack in the rope ended. That was one of the few experiments in Darwin's Theory of Selectivity that I actually got my sisters to participate in. I was the one that got it started, just as you say, dragging it around with our old plow mare.