Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Yesterday while out mowing, a stick about the width of the deck belt and 3 feet long got wedged into the PTO pulley and stopped the engine. It was easy enough to clear after I got it jacked up but it took a chunk out of the belt.

After thinking about it awhile, it seems that a guard in front of the pulley would have prevented the problem. In fact, the ridding mower I replaced with this very expensive ZTR has exactly that.

Anyone else had this problem or am I the ONLY one this lucky? :confused:

Anyone have any ideas on how to attach a guard?

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Forget about a guard. You are supposed to clean up the area of debris before you mow.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Kubota can be receptive to customer improvement ideas. At one point, apparently a customer designed guards around hydraulic hoses on a loader boom since the exposed OEM style ones could be easily damaged with certain applications. A dealer noticed the customer's home-built hose guards, notified Kubota HQ, and eventually a similar design was adopted on all models going forward.

If you uploaded a picture of your mowing deck / belt routing, we might be able to help with a guard idea...

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
Forget about a guard. You are supposed to clean up the area of debris before you mow.
I've noticed your "helpful" comments AREN'T. Didn't your momma tell you that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?

To OP; your suggestion should be sent to Kubota for consideration and possible implementation.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Exactly. It's a lawnmower as it grass, not a chipper...lol

My wife did the same thing. Bought her a new zero turn (smaller deck size than I have and with a steering wheel instead of the two 'oar's' I have ((she don't like the 2 oars but prefers a steering where)....

She immediately ran over a branch and the branch went up into the right IZT unit and peeled off all the fan blades. Had to buy not only a new fan but a new drive belt plus I have to drop the right IZT to install it.

Told her the same thing, it's a lawnmower, not a chipper. Cost me 60 bucks for her stupidity too.,

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I've noticed your "helpful" comments AREN'T. Didn't your momma tell you that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all?

To OP; your suggestion should be sent to Kubota for consideration and possible implementation.
I'd say his comment is extremely helpful. His comment exudes common sense, something that is sorely lacking in people today. Not a chipper it's a lawnmower and I bet Kubota will tell you the same thing.

sparky45

Equipment
L 3301DT
Dec 5, 2018
SEDAN
Thanks for the encouragement Mbound, my abilities have served me well over 70+ years, and I doubt you possess any sage advice anyway. What's that old saying about people from Missouri ........

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I am really surprised that your wife hasn't clocked you with a frying pan! :rolleyes:
Must be what that lump on my head is.....:)

At least she paid for the fan, belt and took me to dinner for my labor and she don't run over branches anymore.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.