Stonehenge in England

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
This is about as off topic as one can imagine I guess.

BUT my daughter is married to an English kid that went to school with her locally. The parents live down the road, and maintain their British citizenship.

Anyway, I kind of find this amusing, upon reading a current article as to the purpose of the Stonehenge monument in England. It related to the purpose of the monument, which is not related to this post.

The father in law, who is approaching his mid 80s now, told me in his day if you went to see Stonehenge, in the local village you could rent a chipping hammer to chip off a piece to take home.

Some years ago, we visited Stonehenge and it was perhaps the greatest disappointment I have ever experienced. You could not get anywhere close to actually experience the monument. Kept thinking, they certainly could have made one path that went between the standing parts of what was there... no chipping hammer needed just to get the real experience of what was there.

Just sharing a great disappointment I experienced that is not that great in reality, but sure is for me.

Guess I have had a good life overall if this is the worst disappointment I can come up with...LOL

Reactions: 1 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The chipping hammer story reminds me of Samuel Clemens' "Innocents Abroad" in which he repeatedly criticizes his fellow travelers for their penchant for chipping off souvenirs of ancient landmarks. In that dry humour style he perfected as Mark Twain.

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
I believe the Summer Solstice is one of the few times you can get to the stones.
Too bad you could not get close.

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
It might be noted that the "present day" arrangement of the stone work is the result of a large scale "reconstruction" using cranes and sundry heavy equipment "back in the day".
1646540209408.png

Awe and wonder be damned! We gave it our best interpretation!

1646540984283.png

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What would the Druids be sayin about this invasion?

Lazy Sod

Equipment
49 hp L-1501, DW 2021, a Europe only model
Sep 14, 2020
Wiltshire, UK
I live about 20 miles from Stonehenge. I walked amongst the stones as a youngster on more than one occasion. It was because of idiots vandalising the stones that access was restricted. I haven't been in since, but travel past it often if travelling eastwards. It is opened up more for the summer and winter solstices, but with that they have to restrict the number of people. All sorts of weird people turn up to see the sunrise. Since the minor road that ran right past it was closed, they can keep a better control of it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I live about 20 miles from Stonehenge. I walked amongst the stones as a youngster on more than one occasion. It was because of idiots vandalising the stones that access was restricted. I haven't been in since, but travel past it often if travelling eastwards. It is opened up more for the summer and winter solstices, but with that they have to restrict the number of people. All sorts of weird people turn up to see the sunrise. Since the minor road that ran right past it was closed, they can keep a better control of it.
I get that and agree with it. BUT I do not agree that they could not make JUST ONE path passing between the monument stones, that would be restricted just like all other access.

I should of visited back in 1969 when I traveled the world for a while. I did get to walk up the leaning tower of Pisa at the time though...so I got something I guess...I understand the leaning tower of Pisa is also restricted today as far as access.

Then there is the apartment where Anne Frank hid from the Germans in Amsterdam. Also visited that back in the old days, and was able to walk up into it. Afterwards, visited Amsterdam years later and there was a museum of some sort next door, and access to the apartment was prohibited.

I can see access to Anne Franks apartment being limited/prohibited. Pisa, maybe so too. BUT not offering a controlled walking path between rocks at Stonehenge? For me that approaches ridiculousness..,

Unless I remember wrong, access for viewing even from a distance was a paid event, and not free. At least for those who did not know of a back door access point, from what I read in the past, but even that did not get one very close to the monument.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN