Stock up on fuel

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Read an article this morning where the current administration is looking to shut down another major oil pipeline in to the US to “Help curb our appetite “ for cheap energy. Just as winter starts. Probably will be Trumps fault when people cannot afford to heat their homes or drive to town for food and Dr appointments.

Reactions: 1 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The Michigan pipeline is more complicated than that. It has been fought over to be shut down TEMPORARILY for some time until Enbridge can get around to replacing it. It is in bad shape and likely to leak into the Great Lakes. It runs through Lake Superior to Canada and was caught by a boat anchor a few years ago. Same company had a line through Michigan leak and spill a massive amount of oil into one of our rivers. Their record on line management and spill cleanup is not the greatest. There is a lot of ads floating around about propane for the UP being affected, and I am not sure about the link between that and what this line carries.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
The Michigan pipeline is more complicated than that. It has been fought over to be shut down TEMPORARILY for some time until Enbridge can get around to replacing it. It is in bad shape and likely to leak into the Great Lakes. It runs through Lake Superior to Canada and was caught by a boat anchor a few years ago. Same company had a line through Michigan leak and spill a massive amount of oil into one of our rivers. Their record on line management and spill cleanup is not the greatest. There is a lot of ads floating around about propane for the UP being affected, and I am not sure about the link between that and what this line carries.
So if it is so critical why not run another line in parallel so it is up before the old is removed? Oh wait, new environmental permits and that would not get approved.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
So if it is so critical why not run another line in parallel so it is up before the old is removed? Oh wait, new environmental permits and that would not get approved.
Oh, but John where would the money for that come from. That's not the definition of infrastructure. Modern infrastructure is giving funds to drive elec vehicles, and paying companies who own newspapers ....

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
First off, a correction. Line 5 runs across the Straits of Mackinac not across Lake Superior. Enbridge proposes a bored, concrete lined tunnel similar the "The Chunnel" which will house a new pipeline and act as a conduit for fiber optic and anything else that might fit in there. It will be easily monitored, contain any leaks, and be well below the lakebed to avoid anchor strikes. This is a win-win for the environment and commerce and the people of Michigan. Unfortunately our wonderful Governor has a one-track mind bent on killing all use of fossil fuels regardless of the impact.

No, I'm not an Enbridge employee, I'm a Michigan citizen that believes a tunnel is the best solution for all parties involved.

Reactions: 5 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I will just heat my house with some of that magic electrical stuff that is going to run everything from my tv to my lawn mower to my truck. Who needs pipelines, we can just get the electric out of the sky...............

If life was just that simple..............

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

SteveBX23

Equipment
LX2610SU; BH77
May 23, 2021
South Jersey
I will just heat my house with some of that magic electrical stuff that is going to run everything from my tv to my lawn mower to my truck. Who needs pipelines, we can just get the electric out of the sky...............

If life was just that simple..............
Folks with those electric vehicles must think they charge on air! Government has the “green energy” society very fooled

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Folks with those electric vehicles must think they charge on air! Government has the “green energy” society very fooled
I think the sad part is reflection on our education system. It appears many people don't understand how electricity is produced and even so called 'green' electric takes lots of fossil fuels to make and operate.

In addition, the fact that many of our industries have worked over the years to make their processes cleaner and more environmentally friendly. Is there still room for improvement, sure. Yet, it doesn't mean you toss out the whole system when you consider the benefits.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
It's not about green energy or climate change. It's never about what they say it's about.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Where, oh where, do these folks think all this electricity comes from? Ive decided I'm checking out for the next three years. Whatever happens, happens. Nothing I (we) can do about it.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I think the sad part is reflection on our education system. It appears many people don't understand how electricity is produced and even so called 'green' electric takes lots of fossil fuels to make and operate.

In addition, the fact that many of our industries have worked over the years to make their processes cleaner and more environmentally friendly. Is there still room for improvement, sure. Yet, it doesn't mean you toss out the whole system when you consider the benefits.
It all started when they took the racist Schoolhouse Rock cartoons off the air. The one about electricity is my favorite!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
In watching that video I had forgotten just how informative they actually were.

Reactions: 3 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
In watching that video I had forgotten just how informative they actually were.
They had a way of taking complex ideas/issues and simplifying them down to help kids get a basic understanding.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Need to go cut more firewood.

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
And…gas is OVER 5 bucks a gallon in this damn state. At this rate, when the cycle that special “summer blend” in next spring…way over 6.

i wanna thank those folks that voted for this…ummm…never mind.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
First off, a correction. Line 5 runs across the Straits of Mackinac not across Lake Superior. Enbridge proposes a bored, concrete lined tunnel similar the "The Chunnel" which will house a new pipeline and act as a conduit for fiber optic and anything else that might fit in there. It will be easily monitored, contain any leaks, and be well below the lakebed to avoid anchor strikes. This is a win-win for the environment and commerce and the people of Michigan. Unfortunately our wonderful Governor has a one-track mind bent on killing all use of fossil fuels regardless of the impact.

No, I'm not an Enbridge employee, I'm a Michigan citizen that believes a tunnel is the best solution for all parties involved.
Thanks for geography correction, I was too lazy to look at a map. A tunnel unmistakably would be the best solution, and start digging now. But everyone is too busy sniping to go with practical solutions. I am not sure what the governor's motivations are in this case. Some people want it shut down asap simply because those lakes are a big part of Michigan's economy and to risk a major oil spill is foolish. They went to pressure Enbridge to act.

Reactions: 1 user