Sticky brakes B2410

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Recently I noticed the movement has been a bit hesitant, and whiny when starting out cold, especially after using brakes. I had the pressure line blow on the backhoe, so after replacing it and purging I left the stabs down and raised the rear end up. Good thing too, the left wheel was loose, and the wedges were worn, thankfully they are two sided and was able to flip the worn areas around. Got that solved then checked the brakes. Both sides move freely, not a bit of rust anywhere on anything, and no sludge either. Sure enough though, when I apply the brakes, each side sticks. Need a prybar across the hub to get them to release. Not sure what to do on this since they are wet brakes.

Once they release, then the wheels spin freely. It's only when they are applied does it happen.

I also found I need to adjust the treadle, it doesn't center all the way and there is some movement forward when released. I thought it felt like there was some creep.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Look closely at the area where the rod goes into the brake area (through a plate?)

Maybe you are getting some binding on the junction of rod to housing.
Spray with penetrating oil (Pb blaster or similar) and see if that helps.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Thats exactly what I did for starters. A few years back had a similar issue with the 3 point. There is a link to a lever that I guess tells the hitch where the arms are, and it seized up in the block and bent the rod. They are both moving freely though, I see no movement of the lever when they release. I did back off 1 1/2 turns on the adjustment which seems to have helped.

I would think after all this time that it would be the opposite that I would need to shrink the rod to make up for wear, especially with forgetting at time to release the brakes. OTOH Maybe those times where I forgot to release the brake is why they are sticking now.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
Looks like all it needed was the left rod lengthened two turns. Brakes no longer stick. Problem solved.