Starting my M108 S

Glenn D. Schroeder

Equipment
108 S
Jan 24, 2021
Idaho
The tractor will not start without a touch of starting fluid, cold or warm. It runs good and everything else works ok, but if you turn it off, it will not start without a shot of starting fluid. Thinking it might be the starter without turning enough rpm's, a different starter did not work either. Any suggestions for a new forum member? Thanks

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you have been using either, chance are you've done internal engine damage already. Kubota engine and starting fluid don't get along, at all.

I had a 108 and sold it a while ago. You have a glo plug issue, either the glo plug relay or the plugs themselves but the either thing I suspect has caused internal engine damage anyway.

Having owned over 10 units now plus the 2 I presently own, I've never even had a can of starting fluid near any of them.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Especially the warm no start tells me you have broken piston ring issues right off. Does the motor 'pant', IOW, does it blow alot of crankcase vapor when warmed up? excessive blowby is indicative of worn valve guides but more often broken piston rings and low cranking compression. You need to check the start compression and refer to a Workshop manual or call a local dealer for the spec, but I suspect the motor will have to come apart anyway.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have the engine compression tested.
Bet it's real low.
If it's not low on compression, then it's an issue with the glow plugs or the glow plug circuit.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Have the engine compression tested.
Bet it's real low.
If it's not low on compression, then it's an issue with the glow plugs or the glow plug circuit.

When warmed up, it's should start with no assist whatsoever and he still needs to give it a 'whiff' of starting fluid. That tells me there are internal issues, The compression is so low it won't pop.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When warmed up, it's should start with no assist whatsoever and he still needs to give it a 'whiff' of starting fluid. That tells me there are internal issues, The compression is so low it won't pop.
Yep agree, that's why I put check compression at the top of the list.

Kubota's use the glow plugs all the time when starting, even on a warm engine.
If the ambient temperature is high enough they only are powered while cranking and not before.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Kubota's use the glow plugs all the time when starting, even on a warm engine.

I didn't know that. Both my M9's have a distinct key position for preheat and it's separate from the crank position so I always assumed that when the motor was warm or the ambient temp was warm the glo plugs never engaged. I learned something.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Sidecar, If you’re interested in seeing how it looks on an older simple schematic see this thread post#12, second schematic is clearer.

Notice there are two paths to the glow plugs, one through indicator (glow position on switch) and other bypasses indicator (start position on switch).