Starter problem

L4310

Sep 4, 2015
Williamstown, Vermont
Hi, When key is turned to start position, the starter clicks loudly and rapidly with no engagement. This seems to drain the almost new battery down alot. About 10 secs after turning key to off position, I get a single small click on the right side of the engine. So far I have tried a different starter, checked that the slow blow 40 fuse is ok, ground cable is ok, checked the starter relay which is ok, and bypassed the PTO limit switch. What am I missing? Thanks in advance, Ed.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
When you pulled the starter did you get a look at the flywheel to see that you don’t have teeth broken off? Did you also bench test the starter to see that the gear is extending to engage the flywheel?

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Jumping the starter will tell you a lot but you need to realize this comes with risks.

All safety features are bypassed and it is very easy to get run over or end up with a runaway tractor.

Having someone knowledgeable in the seat with the brakes applied is best.

Starter jump.jpg

Expect a small harmless spark when the jump is done.

The engine should crank immediately. If it does then your problem is in the safety circuits controlling the starter operation.

Dave

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
If you are hearing a rapid clicking, your tractor probably has a Hydrostat transmission and the Hydro Safety switch is out of adjustment.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
Do you have a voltmeter? This will tell you if you have sufficient voltage available. It sounds like a problem with voltage drop or insufficient voltage.

Test at the battery, battery terminal, and solenoid terminal when activating the starter. Then test for voltage drop by connecting the leads to the battery positive terminal and the battery terminal at the starter. then from the starter case to the negative terminal while cranking.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Hi, When key is turned to start position, the starter clicks loudly and rapidly with no engagement. This seems to drain the almost new battery down alot.
I would follow the advice already given, but must tell you this brought back memories from 50 plus years ago, when that same symptom used to appear when a battery was going bad in cars at that time...Might be a memory from sixty years ago actually... :eek:

Batteries do fail prematurely these days, maybe more than they used to... Just an impression though, with nothing to back it up...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Hi, When key is turned to start position, the starter clicks loudly and rapidly with no engagement. This seems to drain the almost new battery down alot. About 10 secs after turning key to off position, I get a single small click on the right side of the engine. So far I have tried a different starter, checked that the slow blow 40 fuse is ok, ground cable is ok, checked the starter relay which is ok, and bypassed the PTO limit switch. What am I missing? Thanks in advance, Ed.
That small “click” you hear about 10 secs after turning the key to “off” .... is likely the fuel-stop-solenoid. When you turn the key ”off”...the solenoid shuts off the fuel. About 10 secs later it relaxes with a “click” and opens the fuel supply up again to enable another start.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
You might check that starter harness real close for a fusable link, or slow blow fuse.

L4310

Sep 4, 2015
Williamstown, Vermont
That small “click” you hear about 10 secs after turning the key to “off” .... is likely the fuel-stop-solenoid. When you turn the key ”off”...the solenoid shuts off the fuel. About 10 secs later it relaxes with a “click” and opens the fuel supply up again to enable another start.

L4310

Sep 4, 2015
Williamstown, Vermont
I have tested the voltage at the new battery and it is 14 v. Going to tomorrow replace the PTO safety switch which does not test always correctly, and also replace because it's a ways to the Kubota dealer, the shuttle safety switch.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have tested the voltage at the new battery and it is 14 v. Going to tomorrow replace the PTO safety switch which does not test always correctly, and also replace because it's a ways to the Kubota dealer, the shuttle safety switch.
How did you test the battery voltage? You need to watch the meter at the time you try to start the tractor, to be sure it does not drop due to issues with the battery when it is asked to supply load current.

Maybe you did this, do not know. But just measuring the battery voltage when unloaded is not good enough...

L4310

Sep 4, 2015
Williamstown, Vermont
Thanks to all, it was a new in March defective battery. Tested 14v but as soon as a load was put on it, it was dead. Put in an old battery and started right up. Two afternoons I will never get back. Thank you.

JRinWV

Equipment
B2400 HSD w LA351, B3200 HSD w LA 504 and RCK-60 27BA
Oct 27, 2022
Rock Oak, WV
Thanks to all, it was a new in March defective battery. Tested 14v but as soon as a load was put on it, it was dead. Put in an old battery and started right up. Two afternoons I will never get back. Thank you.

I have similar symptoms & thought that with a failing battery a jump would compensate, but had the same symptom: good volts prior to cranking but drawing down immediately- was that the same symptom? Even with a dead battery I could jump before, but not with this.

Update: put in a new battery, fixed the problem.

Last edited: