Sta-bil??

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
On Monday my son-in-law will be shipping out from our local Post, Ft. Campbell Ky for his second tour to Afghanistan. We will be storing his new car in a local garage. The question is, Is the product "Sta-bil" still the recommended product for fuel system protection with a topped off, full, tank for long term storage of gasoline vehicles?

thanks,

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I just read about a product I had never heard of before but is claimed better (longer life) than Stabil called PRI-G. That said, Stabil has been a proven performer for many years.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeppers I use it inthe HD in the winter and I have it in the gen set that sits idle far longer than the HD, and I have never had an issue with either the gen set starts and there is never the smell of stale fuel

avi8tor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800DT, BX2380, RTV X900
Mar 14, 2010
Cleveland, Alabama
I use Sta-bil in all of my small engines - weed eater, lawnmower, chainsaw, generator and ect. Helps with cranking and keeps it smooth running. I highly recommend it - especially when storing equipment. Never used it in an automobile though.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
First Please pass along my gratitude to your Son-in-Law for his service to our nation.

Second my Father-in-Law uses Sta-Bil in his gas motorhome every year during the off season. He has not had an issue with the product or his engine.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Yeah Stabil works good but for me I go with Soltron. It works great for both gas and diesel so you can use it in whatever you may have.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
How long will he be deployed? Ethanol-enriched gas starts to go bad in a month- if it were mine, I would fill it with ethanol free gas, and then use stabil or seafoam. If I couldn't get ethanol free, I'd be tempted to almost empty it, and then add stabil. I don't know what is worse-condensation, or nasty gas in the tank. Is there any opportunity for someone to drive it, and keep gas cycling through it?

Last edited:

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Thanks everyone for your comments, I really appreciate it. I just love this forum. Some of the best folks in the world!!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Soltron says with one treatment it can store gas and keep it fresh for 2 years. I'll be honest with you I've always been sceptical of miracles in a bottle but after about a 20 minute discussion last year with a guy from the parts counter at Napa I took a chance on Soltron and it made a believer out of me. For three years I've had a Stihl leaf blower that I pretty much gave up hope on. Well for S&G's I poured a little bit of Soltron into the gas tank of the blower and much to my surprise the damn thing fired up and ran all day long with the same tank of gas that's been in it for 3 years! That pretty much made my mind up right there.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NCBSP016_0006405992

Last edited:

Dennis T.

Jan 30, 2012
Minnesota USA
On Monday my son-in-law will be shipping out from our local Post, Ft. Campbell Ky for his second tour to Afghanistan. We will be storing his new car in a local garage. The question is, Is the product "Sta-bil" still the recommended product for fuel system protection with a topped off, full, tank for long term storage of gasoline vehicles?

thanks,
As a favor to him I would drive the car on a regular basis. Long Term Storage seems to be harder on mechanical things then regular useage. I start my airplane every week during the Winter months.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA

thanks,
Sta-bil is only good with ethanol fuel if it states it is blended for ethanol fuel. Many have had heart burn over their non ethanol mixes in ethanol fuel.
Storage is bad so definitely do it right for desirable results.

DickSnyder

Equipment
L185DT,L1200 FEL, Rear blade,Woods RCC42
Jul 29, 2011
Mt. Hood Parkdale, Oregon
Kytim,
I use this product in all of my small gas engines and have had good luck with it.

Please pass along to you son in law my thanks as well for his service. My youngest son did two tours in Iraq and was scheduled to deploy to Afghanistan next month with his unit from Ft. Lewis, but he won't be going, diagnosed with PTSD. What a terrible thing for our young men and women to subject themselves to for all of us. Not sure I can be any prouder of him and all the rest that have, are and will serve this great country of ours.

My prayers will follow him and all the others being deployed and await their safe return.

Dick

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
A big 10-4 on the NO ethanol gas for long storage, more than 1 mth. I used to store ethanol gas in a 55 gl barrell, after severa mths , I started seeing rust in my fuel jug when I would transfer it. I don't run ethanol in any of my mowers, chain saws, motorcycle, old cars and generators.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
When I first posted up here my mobile device was having issues with writing so I kept it short.

Sta-bil has had a long reputation of doing very well with fuel preservation but in this ethanol market they have slipped and the competition has forced them to keep up. Make sure you use a product that is explicitly made for ethanol if your using ethanol fuel. There are some issues where a Sta-bil usage did not perform to expectations but the user found out that the product was not made for ethanol.

Storing ethanol is begging for a tank of water separated out out of the fuel. Since gas is diluted by 10 or 15% by simple volume it is easy to calculate how much water is going to be in the bottom of the tank after 30 days.

Storage is best either empty or NON-ethanol. If ethanol must be used extreme care must be used to minimize the separation problems.
Good luck and Thanks to your great American son for his service. :)

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd love to know where to find nonethonal. Around the Richmond Va area every place has anywhere from 10 to 15% ethonal.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I have two places within 5 miles of the house that carry ethanol-free gas.

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
I'd love to know where to find nonethonal. Around the Richmond Va area every place has anywhere from 10 to 15% ethonal.
I live in the center of corn country and surrounded by ethanol plants. Every gas station sells non-ethanol around here. I wouldn't fill anything with ethanol mixed gasoline if they gave it away.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I use Non-eth 91 w/Sta-bil in all my small engines. Gas is still good over a year later, but I try and rotate it every 6 months. Conoco stations here have non-eth, but don't advertise it. I had to hunt and ask for it.

I burn E-10 in the trucks and car and never any problems. One truck (94 Toyota 270k miles) can sit 6 months and still crank and run fine.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Eric,
I don't see anything close to Richmond but you can check at buyrealgas.com

Replying to the op I've had much problems with Sta-Bil if kept more than seasonal only. I'll chip in as has been said, best to use once a month or so to keep everything turned over!