SSQA snow plow worth the trouble?

CFarm45

Equipment
LX3310, ZD21
Jul 19, 2021
Western NY
Have opportunity for gently used SSQA loader mount plow with hydraulic angle at good price. Never thought I wanted one of these as I’ve been told they push the front of the tractor around so much they can be frustrating and tend to believe it. However, I’m tempted to give it a go due to the good price and convenience of SSQA. Otherwise this would not be my first choice.
Who has used one of these on similar sized tractor and what are your thoughts on how much they “push around” the front of the tractor when angled? Is it more trouble than it’s worth?
For background, I’m located in western NY. Frequent 4-6” snows. Occasional 8-12” snows and 14+” about once per year. Plowing about 400’ driveway and 60x80’ parking area on rough asphalt (binder only)
I’m aware of the pros/cons of other snow removal attachments, just wondering about giving this one a try.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
good price ? BUY IT !
while everyone else was plowing with regcab 8' boxed pickups I had a CJ-5 back in '73. It was awesome at plowing snow after I put a respectable amount of weight in it. Same thing will hold true for a tractor with plow, get her heavy then the snow won't push you around !!
in you situation, I'd have a selfpowered SSQA blower. pricey ,unless homemade, but to me the best option of the 3 'blower configs'.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Ignore the strap. That was proof of concept day. I use a chain. atv plow fits on my my home made ssqa-v milti-use bracket I made. Works great. I use it in conjunction with a rear blower.

1258FA7C-BAFB-4CED-87C5-5319D40FD851.jpeg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
good price ? BUY IT !
while everyone else was plowing with regcab 8' boxed pickups I had a CJ-5 back in '73. It was awesome at plowing snow after I put a respectable amount of weight in it. Same thing will hold true for a tractor with plow, get her heavy then the snow won't push you around !!
in you situation, I'd have a selfpowered SSQA blower. pricey ,unless homemade, but to me the best option of the 3 'blower configs'.
I am curious how wide of a plow are you looking at?

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I was running a 7' power angle Land Pride SSQA plow on my L3901 and it did a great job clearing our driveway and parking areas. You should be fine as long as it not to heavy or wide for your tractor.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Have opportunity for gently used SSQA loader mount plow with hydraulic angle at good price. Never thought I wanted one of these as I’ve been told they push the front of the tractor around so much they can be frustrating and tend to believe it. However, I’m tempted to give it a go due to the good price and convenience of SSQA. Otherwise this would not be my first choice.
Who has used one of these on similar sized tractor and what are your thoughts on how much they “push around” the front of the tractor when angled? Is it more trouble than it’s worth?
For background, I’m located in western NY. Frequent 4-6” snows. Occasional 8-12” snows and 14+” about once per year. Plowing about 400’ driveway and 60x80’ parking area on rough asphalt (binder only)
I’m aware of the pros/cons of other snow removal attachments, just wondering about giving this one a try.
The one I use on my MX works great for what I do. It's an STB1596 and I float the blade and it works well for me. If I try to be too aggressive with the blade and push too much snow, or push snow against something that provides too much resistance then "equal and opposite" and all that. Overall I'm very pleased with my winter set up of a front blade and rear blower.

This is my neighbors driveway a couple of weeks ago. It was all done with the blade, about 300 yards or so.

lights_03.jpg

mx6000_hstc_16.jpg

mx6000_hstc_22.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Long before the SSQA in my life, I used a 830 JD in the late 70's where i worked. it had a western power angle plow that replaced the bucket and used the bucket cylinder to level it, no strap or chain. It was 2wd and had turf tires. Used double ring chains on them and plowed parking lots sidewalks etc with it and it worked very good. The 2wd required you to angle your way out of the push of the heavy snow sometimes but again over all pretty good. I would like one for my Kubota but I have the 8n with power angle and that works for my needs. I say go for it!

Bill

Thunder chicken

Equipment
M7060
Dec 29, 2019
Northern ontario
I’ve been watching for reasonably priced used blades. I’m not sure a pusher is ideal for my situation, so I’d say depending on your needs, go for it!!
I’ve been toying with a silly idea of adapting a 3pt rear blade to the loader….. make an adapter plate, and use trip springs as the top link for some give. Or converting a truck blade….. those are going for lots of $ in this area too so snap up the deal! You’ll always flip stuff like blades and not loose your shirt, I’d think!!!

JoeBabbs

Equipment
L3800, FEL, BH, box blade, front tine bucket, hydraulic front angle blade
Jan 20, 2020
Ithaca, NY USA
I just got a 7' hydraulic angled plow for my L3800. Only 1 hour of use so far on my steep gravel driveway and helping neighbors out with a 1 foot storm. I think the width is right, and with chains on 4 wheels, I had good control and traction. Plowing was much more efficient with this than with my loader bucket.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I use a Kubota 2673 SSQA front plow with hard rubber cutting edge with my B3350.

Don't get as much snow here as you do but I have not had major issues with front end being pushed around but probably would if plowing 12" - 14".

I plow in float and use a ballast box filled with bagged playground sand from Lowes. No traction issues with R4s but do have F & R two link ladder chains fitted, test installed, but not used. Traction is not much of an issue because the plow removes the snow from my asphalt driveways allowing good traction. Tried the chains first year and, as you likely know, tires with chains will not pull the hat off of your head on a clean surface. Chains would certainly help on crushed rock.

I also plow with my B1750HSDT and a 6' back blade. Chains are mandatory as snow is not removed before tires pass over. Again, I use F & R chains. The 1750 is lighter and the rear blade pushes the tractor around more than the front blade does on the 3350.

SDT

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have plowed this year with both an SSQA plow on the front of my BX and with a different plow that attaches to the K connect system. The SSQA plow is more like my old Jeep with a plow on the front. The nice thing about the SSQA is that once you master it on the ground, then you can next learn how to pile snow with it. One winter I plowed with just my bucket, and I swore that I would never do that again. I bought a complete snowblower system and installed it on my BX22 and worked great. Now with the BX23S, I am fully equipped with every type of snow moving equipment that one could ever need, or so I thought. The last storm taught me that I really needed to find a snow pusher. If I found one reasonably priced I would add that to the snow moving equipment assortment. Like any job, you need to have the right tools to do the job, and when it comes to snow, it keeps changing. Buy the plow, and you will never regret doing so.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
The one I use on my MX works great for what I do. It's an STB1596 and I float the blade and it works well for me. If I try to be too aggressive with the blade and push too much snow, or push snow against something that provides too much resistance then "equal and opposite" and all that. Overall I'm very pleased with my winter set up of a front blade and rear blower.

This is my neighbors driveway a couple of weeks ago. It was all done with the blade, about 300 yards or so.

View attachment 73622

View attachment 73625

View attachment 73626

"Gimme' 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around" Perfect straight line plowing set up.

CFarm45

Equipment
LX3310, ZD21
Jul 19, 2021
Western NY
I use a Kubota 2673 SSQA front plow with hard rubber cutting edge with my B3350.

Don't get as much snow here as you do but I have not had major issues with front end being pushed around but probably would if plowing 12" - 14".

I plow in float and use a ballast box filled with bagged playground sand from Lowes. No traction issues with R4s but do have F & R two link ladder chains fitted, test installed, but not used. Traction is not much of an issue because the plow removes the snow from my asphalt driveways allowing good traction. Tried the chains first year and, as you likely know, tires with chains will not pull the hat off of your head on a clean surface. Chains would certainly help on crushed rock.

I also plow with my B1750HSDT and a 6' back blade. Chains are mandatory as snow is not removed before tires pass over. Again, I use F & R chains. The 1750 is lighter and the rear blade pushes the tractor around more than the front blade does on the 3350.

SDT
Thanks for the reply. The 2673 is the model I’m looking at. Can you tell me if the 2673 has any lateral float, or is it totally rigid laterally?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The float is in your tractor's arms, not the plow. The plow does have some side-to-side up and down movement, but not very much.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The float is in your tractor's arms, not the plow. The plow does have some side-to-side up and down movement, but not very much.
I have +/- 5 degrees of rotation of the STB1596 blade relative to the SSQA mount to account for small camber changes, and a lot of adjustment by rolling the blade like a bucket.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
"Gimme' 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around" Perfect straight line plowing set up.
I have no problem turning around. I raise the loader up to get it over a fence or similar if needed.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio
I have a 8' plow. It was a L3540HST. Now it is on a L4060HSTC.
The plow is way in front of the tires so the angle does steer it.
I would not go any other way. You can pile it up high.
You can hold the plow up a little to keep weight of the front tires.

CFarm45

Equipment
LX3310, ZD21
Jul 19, 2021
Western NY
I have +/- 5 degrees of rotation of the STB1596 blade relative to the SSQA mount to account for small camber changes, and a lot of adjustment by rolling the blade like a bucket.
Right… good point. Hadn’t considered that curling would effectively adjust for camber when angled. Thanks.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
With the plow blade that far out in front of the loader arms what happens to the loader arms if you hit something solid, especially if you hit while the blade is angled. I could see bent loader arms could happen.