SSQA FEL-mounted snow blades

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
What's the consensus on these? I've always preferred a back blade for clearing snow where I'm at honestly. I know driving through the snow you're about to push off to the side isn't always ideal, but I do find the back blade very versatile since I can pull, push, swing it all the way around, and change the side to side angle to adjust for the crown on a road.

All that said, a power-angle front blade in theory sounds great, except for not having any side to side angle adjustment. But I can also see it just pushing the front end of the tractor up constantly if I tried to float the FEL while pushing.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I had a fixed dozer blade on a FEL years ago and it was a snow moving beast! Many of the SSQA units stick out another 5 feet past the loader which compounds the tendency to "steer" the tractor if the blade is angled and can make maneuvering in cramped spaces difficult.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
What's the consensus on these? I've always preferred a back blade for clearing snow where I'm at honestly. I know driving through the snow you're about to push off to the side isn't always ideal, but I do find the back blade very versatile since I can pull, push, swing it all the way around, and change the side to side angle to adjust for the crown on a road.

All that said, a power-angle front blade in theory sounds great, except for not having any side to side angle adjustment. But I can also see it just pushing the front end of the tractor up constantly if I tried to float the FEL while pushing.
I've got a BX2767 front blade on my BX (loader mounted) with power angle. Along with hyd angle rear blade i use for snow removal. All I can say is my snow removal time has reduced by almost half since I purchased the front blade. I absolutely love it . Your comment about pushing the front end up when in float mode is accurate. I drop the front blade until is just barely makes contact with the driveway and DON'T engage float.
Hope this helps.
Regards,

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I used an 8' Fisher on a homebrew FEL mount. Love it. Gordon Gould and Paul Short planted the idea. Here's a couple threads:

Gordon's

Mine

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I've got a BX2767 front blade on my BX (loader mounted) with power angle. Along with hyd angle rear blade i use for snow removal. All I can say is my snow removal time has reduced by almost half since I purchased the front blade. I absolutely love it . Your comment about pushing the front end up when in float mode is accurate. I drop the front blade until is just barely makes contact with the driveway and DON'T engage float.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
I have been moving snow with the loader and bucket for a couple decades. Beats the heck out of a rear blade on the little B7200. I have an old 6' Myers truck plow that I will be putting on the new L3901. I purchased an SSQA adapter plate and will commence the cutting and welding real soon now. I will also be adding power angle to the plow and I expect it will make things even better.

Dan

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
I don't think I have even owned a three point blade in thirty years. Pushed snow for years with a FEL or a skid loader with a home brewed Myers truck plow on a skid loader plate. Sold it about five years ago and now use a ten foot snow bucket on a skid loader. Kubota MX-6000 will just set in the shed for the winter.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Do ya'll think a BX23S will have enough power to push an 8' fisher blade?

I was thinking of building a setup similar to this pic..... possibly utilizing a fisher (electric) pump to operate it as 4 way.

anyway, will a BX push a plow that big?

thanks.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

I was thinking of building a setup similar to this pic..... possibly utilizing a fisher (electric) pump to operate it as 4 way.

anyway, will a BX push a plow that big?

thanks.
I doubt it. My B7200 struggled with the 6' Myers plow I am putting on the L3901. An 8' plow would tax my Ram 1500.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I'd say no chance. The cabbed L4240 with loaded tires and a drum full of concrete on the 3-point is about right. I did run it without the concrete and it was too light.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes, a BX23S will have enough power to push an EMPTY 8' blade, probably juuuust enough power to lift it( groning) but NO way it'll push ANY snow in front of the blade.
face it ,there's a reason why 99.99999999% of all snow blades are mounted in the FRONT of all JEEPS and pickups, never ,evee seen a 'rear blade...push going backwards, setup on a pickup. First snowplow for me was a 6.6 beaver on a '73 CJ-5, manual angle. Once I figured out HOW to plow small lots without changing the blade, I made a lot of cash cause the 'big boys and their toys' couldn't do small lots.
You can get an 'ATV' style plow for about $300, I'd just set straight and PLAN how to plow. There ain'y a lot of mass in a BX23S so it's a smart operator than can do the job, instead of zillion HP. The problem with angled blades is geometry, forces, and all that 'math stuff' we've forgotten since high school. You might have to add 1000# to a BX23S to get it to push wet,heavy snow with an angled blade. Not every snowflake is light and fluffy !
me, I made my own, selfpowered 48" SSQA snowblower as I NEED to get RID of all the flakes far,far away. if you push, you better move it a far as possible the FIRST time cause once it freezes, well ,best bring out the thermite !

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Exactly the result I've experienced.
Find something like post #8, float must happen at blade not the FEL
20160101_210401.jpg

Kinda works if blade never touches the ground and rear blade does the final scrape.

Think a snow pusher would be superior to front blade, has sides and skids like a box blade.

Trex18

Apr 24, 2018
Kittanning
What size blade do yinz think LX 2610 will roll? I have third function installed and would be nice. Yea. I should have looked awhile ago. I know.

Loaded tires and can put ballas on back.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Thanks for the replies....
Guess I'll stick with what I got for a while...

I was kinda getting sick of this dinosaur hanging off the front. Since I only plow my own property....
was day dreaming about setting up something for the tractor.... but on the other hand, It sure is nice to be in a nice warm truck with a beer in my hand.... LOL !

BX loader still comes in handy for a couple tight spots or to pile it up.

PS: yeah.. it's a FrankenPlow 8' Fisher with a Meyer pump.

Attachments

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
What size blade do yinz think LX 2610 will roll? I have third function installed and would be nice. Yea. I should have looked awhile ago. I know.

Loaded tires and can put ballas on back.
Look at post 12 it's B2650 predecessor to LX2610 front blade B2672 rear LP RB 3584.
If you have gravel drive don't waste money on FEL blade.
Here's what an offset rear blade can do by itself
20150302_130653.jpg

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I had a Landpride front snowplow for a MX5800 I used to have and it worked great clearing our drive way. I liked it a lot better than the 3pt blade I was using.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have one, and years of experience have taught me that it is better to blow the snow far away from the roadway than to have it pile up along the edge. I use the blade to clean up down to the black pavement, so the roadway isn't slippery for the cars that travel over it at night when it tends to refreeze. Sure, it might take me longer from start to finish, but the final result is more important than the time spent. I used to use a truck to move snow, but after every storm, I was spending time pushing the snow back from the edges in anticipation of the next storm. I no longer use the truck, and in the end, I am much happier with the snowblower and a follow-up with the blade. If it is a particularly heavy snowfall my neighbor will come down the road with his truck, and the snowblower moves the rows of snow into the fields. Then the blade does the final cleanup. It takes me twice as long as if he didn't help, but being a good neighbor, I just thank him and no make any mention of the extra time. The day may come when I can't do the snow removal, and his help will be welcome.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Well
my pickup truck is down for the winter....
long story... but it will be back / more better... LOL

anyway... I picked up a small john deere blade 45" maybe...

I added on to it and put a new cutting edge on it....
should do the trick until the truck is back....... pretty happy the way it came out...

give me a couple beers.... I can build anything... LOL!!

Attachments

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Well
my pickup truck is down for the winter....
long story... but it will be back / more better... LOL

anyway... I picked up a small john deere blade 45" maybe...

I added on to it and put a new cutting edge on it....
should do the trick until the truck is back....... pretty happy the way it came out...

give me a couple beers.... I can build anything... LOL!!

Attachments