"Square Bailer" & "Thatcher" wanted

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
My neighbor asked if I knew anyone selling a "Square bailer" and / or a "Thatcher".
I've not been a farmer or person whom grows hay and that sort of thing (but, I'm always wanting to learn new stuff).
He explained to me some of the finer details of the two items, and I've offered to give it a try this coming Spring/Summer.

We both have Kubota's, mine a B2650 and his is a L30something......but, he's also will be picking up a 1960 propane powered 7000lb rig from North Dakota this Spring......

Anyway, I digress:

This post is a feeler for what's out there, what is the price range, and probably some information!

Thanks in advance!

fj40dave

Yelm, WA

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
My neighbor asked if I knew anyone selling a "Square bailer" and / or a "Thatcher".
I've not been a farmer or person whom grows hay and that sort of thing (but, I'm always wanting to learn new stuff).
He explained to me some of the finer details of the two items, and I've offered to give it a try this coming Spring/Summer.

We both have Kubota's, mine a B2650 and his is a L30something......but, he's also will be picking up a 1960 propane powered 7000lb rig from North Dakota this Spring......

Anyway, I digress:

This post is a feeler for what's out there, what is the price range, and probably some information!

Thanks in advance!

fj40dave

Yelm, WA
I suggest going to www.tractorhouse.com and taking a look around. Good luck.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I am not sure of your term thatcher.

How much land are you going to devote to hay production? The cost of machinery is going to be several thousand dollars. A good sickle bar mower or disc mower would be $2-5,000. A good rake $1 -2,000. A tedder $1 - 2,000. And $3 - 20,000 for a small square baler. You will be able to fine somethings cheaper but many will require repairs. Oh and a wagon or trailer to pick up hay. Also a barn to store the hay in. Store the equipment in a barn also.

Remember square bales do not store well if they get wet, rain or dew is a problem.

With the cost of labor to pick up and stack the hay in a barn this will be a money loser. Do not forget the cost of the fertilizer you will need every year.

I do not mean to be negative but this is a lot of work time and money for something you can buy cheaper then you can produce it.

Reactions: 1 user

fj40dave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LA534, BH77, TPD35, RCF2060, BB1566, RGA1258
Sep 24, 2009
Yelm, WA
I am not sure of your term thatcher.

How much land are you going to devote to hay production? The cost of machinery is going to be several thousand dollars. A good sickle bar mower or disc mower would be $2-5,000. A good rake $1 -2,000. A tedder $1 - 2,000. And $3 - 20,000 for a small square baler. You will be able to fine somethings cheaper but many will require repairs. Oh and a wagon or trailer to pick up hay. Also a barn to store the hay in. Store the equipment in a barn also.

Remember square bales do not store well if they get wet, rain or dew is a problem.

With the cost of labor to pick up and stack the hay in a barn this will be a money loser. Do not forget the cost of the fertilizer you will need every year.

I do not mean to be negative but this is a lot of work time and money for something you can buy cheaper then you can produce it.

The "thatcher" my neighbor mentioned is the implement that fluffs the grass and also lines it up for the bailer.

I think he's doing about 10 acres, which to me, sounds less than cost effective.

He did say he has the cutter and a trailer.....and I'm guessing some of us in the neighborhood would be the manual labor side of the equation.

Boy, I wonder if he knows the cost.....I'll have to run that by him!

Thank You BigG