Sprayers. need some schooling

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
hey guys, I need a sprayer, doesn't necessarily have to be PTO/Tractor mount. just bigger than a backpack sprayer. we have about 20 acres to need weed control/round up/insecticide etc. it would mostly be used in our "yard" which will get heavy insecticide and many other treatments as I like a really nice yard. the "yard" is about 3 acres.

I do not want a sprayer I will be replacing or fixing every year. I want a dead nuts reliable (I understand the maintenance involved in that)

now in addition to my L3560 I also have:

a large 1500 lb SCAG zero turn
a polaris Razr (2 seat)

my kubota salesman has a few options he recommended to look into.
he has 2 agsprayer models
-----a 25 gallon UTV mount boomless sprayer (about a 20 foot swath he said) with hand want
-----a 40 gallon or a 60 gallon trailer boomless (about a 30 foot swath he said) it plugs into the 12v system just like the bed mount UTV one.

what are your recommendations? I'm not against using my scag in the pasture....it's tough as nails, and I feel I could control a consistent speed with it almost easier than the razr, but the razr I could have someone ride shotgun going down fencelines with me on roundup and detail work.

here are my issues I really am lost on
---good brands?
---trailer or UTV bed mount?
---how many gallons should I have available? I would like room for expansion and heavy coats.
---what kind or brand or flow of pump should I be looking for? I haven't looked at the 2 he has, but they are priced 350(UTV bed) and 500(trailer 40, a little more for 60 (same stuff otherwise))

your suggestions and recommendations for other sprayers to check out and opinions on those would be greatly appreciated, I'm struggling to guess how many gallons I need.

Thanks

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I've gone through three 25 gallon sprayers and finally broke down and bought one PTO operated. I bought an Ag Smart boomless sprayer and really like it.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I have a 25 gallon sprayer. The issue i see with a small sprayer is overlap and forgetting where you left off when going for a refill. I have 10 acres and its a pain. I chose to only work on the area around the house. For that its great.

Another point to consider, actually one of many- the chemicals you use. Incorrect application can become expensive.
Also what is available in your area.
I have a farmer friend that gives me fertilizer that makes grass look better but doesent make it grow like the store bought stuff.
Also weed control-some is not pet friendly for several days.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
For best results I believe you need to use about 15-25 gallons per acre, but maybe boomless is different. My dad had a boom sprayer so that's what I use. I believe you get a more consistent coverage with a boom. It has a hypro PTO roller pump that works well. The first one my dad didn't treat after using and wouldn't work after sitting several years but the new one has been going good for several years now, and I rebuilt the first one also for a backup.

Try not to run out in the middle of a field. If you know you can't do everything you want in one filling, divide it up into sections, then complete as many sections as you can, then refill before starting a section you can't complete. I usually also keep a few small spaces in mind to use up the few gallons I may have left over, then drain as much as I can of what's left into a backpack or handheld sprayer.

After using make sure you flush everything well. When I first started I would either leave the pump with plain water in it if I would be using it again soon, or fill it with RV antifreeze if it would be a while. Now I just fill it with fluid film every time. Whatever you use make sure you flush the pump before the next use.

I've also made a lot of modifications to mine, mainly adding a lot of banjo quick disconnects and valves. I can unhook the pump from the tank which makes it easier to install the pump on the tractor, to fill the pump with fluid film, and to flush everything, and I can unhook the return line under the tank to aid with draining the tank and flushing also. I also added a way to hook the hose up directly to it and fill from the bottom to keep it from foaming up, and I have spray nozzles with valves that spray to the side to get the edges of a field or road.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
We used a boom sprayer for quite a few years, but got tired of getting off and resetting the booms as well as repairing them, thus the reason for a boom-less spray rig. We were a bit concerned initially, but the family that owns our dealership uses them. Differing conditions will dictate boom or boom-less.

My brother does most of our spraying as he mixes chemicals and maintain a farmer's self propelled JD rig. Proper maintenance of the pump is paramount; learned that early on when we had to replace one.

We use a 4' boom sprayer on our AV/UTV, but just for small areas.

Ridger

Equipment
L3940 HST
Nov 26, 2014
North LA
I have a 3 point hitch 65 gallon sprayer I use with my tractor (see attached photos). It has a PTO powered roller pump connected by hose to a regulator, a pressure gauge, and a shut off valve. The hose out of the shut off valve connects to a boomless spray nozzle that can spray about 30 feet wide. I can also disconnect the hose at the spray nozzle and connect a hand wand and use it that way. I use this sprayer for large acreage.

I also have a smaller 25 gallon sprayer (very similar to the one in the photo) that I use with my UTV. I use this one for my yard and small acreage. It can spray about 14 feet wide. I've attached the weblink for the smaller sprayer. I actually made my own "L" bracket that connects to the receiver hitch and but I followed this design.

I would suggest using a boomless spray nozzle.

http://greatdayinc.com/products/spraying-equipment/plot-pro-sprayers/

Attachments

Last edited:

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
but got tired of getting off and resetting the booms as well as repairing them
What caused the need for that? I don't have problems like that.

Also, something I forgot to include in my other post. Whatever you do, don't try to store leftover spray in a regular plastic bucket, the chemical reacts to the plastic and creates a nasty slime.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Schabin for quality 12V pumps, roller if you want to go big. You should plumb in a bypass so either doesn't cavitate and burn up the pump. Whatever you choose use water to spray on pavement so you can adjust the height for full coverage. My Ag guy recommends only twice a year for herbicide. Bump the concentration if you're not knocking it down.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Electric pump, buy Shurflo. You want the 3.1gpm with adjustable high pressure shutoff. Roller pump, get a Hypro. If you will be using a roller pump coupled to a gas engine (not hooked up to your PTO), you want a reverse rotation pump. A bypass is required with a roller pump and a plus with an electric pump. The bypass should incorporate a pressure regulator.

The most common, non-selective herbicides will use glyphosate as the active ingredient. Round-Up was the original and still pricey. Look for a generic with 41% glyphosate. For small tank mixing, use 4.5 ounces/gallon or 3.5%. Too weak and you don't get a good kill. Too strong and you will smoke off the tops but not get the chemical down into the root system. For best results, add additional surfactant and de-foamer to your mix.

Glyphosate is a contact-only herbicide. It MUST contact the target and there is NO residual effect. You can use it as many times as you like throughout the growing season. It is also harmless to livestock when used in accordance with the labeled directions.

If I sound confident in regards to what I am posting, it's because I am. :D We buy this by the tanker and sell it by the 270 gallon tote. You can purchase the 41% glyphosate from farm supply stores in a 2.5 gallon jug. It may be called Glystar Plus, Buccaneer or something else. Just check the label and expect to pay $40.00-60.00 dollars depending on your location.

Oh yeah, you can spray anytime the wind allows. However, morning is best and stop anytime the temperature goes above 75*F. for best results.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I got tired of filling a 15 gallon spray tank, so I found a 200 gallon boom type sprayer on wheels with a split tongue to hook to a drawbar. Removed the booms and built a bracket for a nozzle in the center. It had all the valves, filters, lid, wand, etc. With 15" tires it's easy to pull.

With the nozzles you have to be aware of the wind and choose the right conditions, so that is a somewhat limiting factor.

With a roller pump I always store them by rinsing with water and filling them with diesel.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/6009685321.html

That blue pump probably cost about what's he's asking for the whole thing.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/6029023585.html

Either of these would do a nice job for you once you had the first one modified to suit you. Smaller one looks ready to go.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
Schabin uses ShurFlo but there are different qualities of those. 24D is also a gnereic for glyphosphate. As mentioned you want full coverage which is why test patterns with water are a good idea.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
No, 2-4-D is not the same thing as glyphosate. Totally different animal. Used for a fast 'burn-down' of plants and may be acid or oil based. It is also more volatile than glyphosate, so drifting becomes more of a concern. You can use both chemicals in the same tank mix, but glyphosate by itself is usually more than adequate for smaller acreages. Just keeping it simple, here.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
I have an electric pump on my 3pt sprayer.

I run RV antifreeze (nontoxic) through the pump and recirc thru the tank before freeze season. Otherwise trapped water in the pump freezes and cracks the pump and any other plastic tubes.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jim, what you just stated you do to your 12 V. pump if often overlooked by owners of gas powered pressure washers. Come spring time there are a lot of little Honda gas engines for sale on Cl because the pumps froze, and they're parting out what's left. It's an expensive mistake to make!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
No, 2-4-D is not the same thing as glyphosate. Totally different animal. Used for a fast 'burn-down' of plants and may be acid or oil based. It is also more volatile than glyphosate, so drifting becomes more of a concern. You can use both chemicals in the same tank mix, but glyphosate by itself is usually more than adequate for smaller acreages. Just keeping it simple, here.

Isn't 2,4-D one of the components of Agent Orange? Overkill for home use.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
If you will be using a roller pump coupled to a gas engine (not hooked up to your PTO), you want a reverse rotation pump.
With the design of the roller pump on my sprayer it can work in either direction, you just have to plumb it backwards for a reverse rotation.