Spray paint - Kubota vs Rustoleum pics

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
I bought new clevis hook mounts for the front bucket of my BX25D. Painted one with Kubota spray paint from the dealer ($15), and the other with Rustoleum Lobster Red ($7.50 on Amazon).

These pictures are on the hood, which is very slightly sun faded. Rustoleum is on the left, Kubota on the right. Both paints are, in my opinion, close enough. Spray paint will never perfectly match factory paint texture, but again, both the Kubota and Rustoleum paints were as good as can reasonably be expected.

The biggest difference is that the Kubota paint seems to cover more evenly and leaves a texture that is less glossy than Rustoleum.

Bottom line: either are acceptable to match Kubota II paint. Kubota paint is marginally better in terms of match and finish, but I wouldn't hesitate to use Rustoleum.

Attachments

Reactions: 5 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
you may have a bit more fading that you think. The Rustoleum kubota orange is nearly exact match on my machine.

I much prefer the Rustoleum lately becaue it allows you to put more coats on, faster, than the Kubota paints.

The entire front brush guard seen here is Rustoleum.

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
you may have a bit more fading that you think. The Rustoleum kubota orange is nearly exact match on my machine.

I much prefer the Rustoleum lately becaue it allows you to put more coats on, faster, than the Kubota paints.

The entire front brush guard seen here is Rustoleum.

I agree...it’s surprising how quickly the Rustoleum paints dry and are ready for second coats. I’m also pleased with how well they cover defects (such as some of my welds.) :mad:

Reactions: 1 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I also used the Rustoleum paint for touching up the small scars my tractor came with. I repainted an entire fender as well and am really pleased with the match.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I agree...it’s surprising how quickly the Rustoleum paints dry and are ready for second coats. I’m also pleased with how well they cover defects (such as some of my welds.) :mad:
Wow! GeoHorn, you must be a really good weldor, if paint alone will cover your defects! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I bought new clevis hook mounts for the front bucket of my BX25D. Painted one with Kubota spray paint from the dealer ($15), and the other with Rustoleum Lobster Red ($7.50 on Amazon).

These pictures are on the hood, which is very slightly sun faded. Rustoleum is on the left, Kubota on the right. Both paints are, in my opinion, close enough. Spray paint will never perfectly match factory paint texture, but again, both the Kubota and Rustoleum paints were as good as can reasonably be expected.

The biggest difference is that the Kubota paint seems to cover more evenly and leaves a texture that is less glossy than Rustoleum.

Bottom line: either are acceptable to match Kubota II paint. Kubota paint is marginally better in terms of match and finish, but I wouldn't hesitate to use Rustoleum.
I've used Rustoleum "Farm and Implement" with good results. Is "Lobster Red" the same color? I know that it is sold as two different products.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Do they have an extra-thick version? I don't think paint is enough for my welds.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I used Chevrolet orange engine paint on my tractor for touch ups a long time ago, and it has held up well.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
good to see the Lobster Red is so close. I got a 6 pack for $30 off ebay. My previous Kubota Orange paint was way lighter in color.

arto98607

Equipment
Kubota F3060, Grasshopper 721D, Ford 1310, JD 440 ICD, JD 300
Aug 24, 2014
Southwest WA State

It's $8.86 now so please don't tell anyone else or it will be more by Monday!