Spool Valve

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
I recently replace my 2 spool control valve with a 3 spool. Only so I had another valve for future use. The old 2 spool was twice the size of the new 3 spool. My question, the new spool valve gets very hot to the point it'll almost burn your hand when touching the body of the valve. Is this normal or did i mess up.
Everything works as it should, but the 3 third position is plugged off and not used yet.
Any help most appreciated

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
It sound like something is not correct. A hose in the wrong place perhaps.

Fluid is being forced through a relief valve generating heat.

Does your new valve have power beyond?

Is your loader connected into the tractor's hydraulics or does it have its own pump driven off the front of the engine crankshaft?

Please provide details on the new valve..... make, model, spec's, etc

Dave

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100 HST-D w/FEL,654 Whel Hrs w/blade, 2654 Hsqv mowr, 28h Cfstm snowblower&cab
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
It sound like something is not correct. A hose in the wrong place perhaps.

Fluid is being forced through a relief valve generating heat.

Does your new valve have power beyond?

Is your loader connected into the tractor's hydraulics or does it have its own pump driven off the front of the engine crankshaft?

Please provide details on the new valve..... make, model, spec's, etc

Dave
The new valve controls the same operations as the old valve, bucket tilt. up/down, and arm lift, up/down. It does not have power beyond. And yes it's on the tractor hydraulics.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You say it doesn't have power beyond?
It must as the three point runs off of the PB line.
How may hoses (besides the 4 for the cylinders), 2 or three?
If 3 then it has all the right lines.
If 2 then it does not have a tank line.
Also sounds like it has a pressure relief valve that is not set right and without a tank line it will get super hot as it's running the pump against an valve that has no relief.

More info will help to narrow it down.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Also sounds like it has a pressure relief valve that is not set right and without a tank line it will get super hot as it's running the pump against an valve that has no relief.

I took off the old 2 spool and replaced it with a 3 spool. Installed right out of box no adjustments
2 hoses one for Line in, one Line out, and 4 hoses, two hoses for the lift up, and down, and 2 hoses to the tilt up and down. the 3rd spool ports are just plugged for now its for future use to control an accessory.
Photos below.. Te block w/2 hoses (picture #2) goes to the in and out of the new spool valve
Thanks for telling me that the power beyond is for the 3 pt. I really didn't know that.
IMG_0758.JPG
IMG_0757.JPG

Last edited:

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ

If i Need to adjust the pressure, please enlighten as I don't know how to achieve this and what equipment would I need to buy to do this.
Thanks soo much for all your help.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
I took off the old 2 spool and replaced it with a 3 spool. Installed right out of box no adjustments
2 hoses one for Line in, one Line out, and 4 hoses, two hoses for the lift up, and down, and 2 hoses to the tilt up and down. the 3rd spool ports are just plugged for now its for future use to control an accessory.
Photos below.. Te block w/2 hoses (picture #2) goes to the in and out of the new spool valve
View attachment 53116 View attachment 53117

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I did the opposite, I went from a small single spool (OEM supplied) valve to a larger (15GPM) 3 spool valve.

Mine gets HOT. Basically the temp of the hydro fluid in the tractor.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If i Need to adjust the pressure, please enlighten as I don't know how to achieve this and what equipment would I need to buy to do this.
Thanks soo much for all your help.
You would need a pressure gauge and you could tap into the third spool to test it.
The pressure is adjusted on the front left side in picture.
But it will not go higher than the total system pressure, but you can change that to to some degree.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
You would need a pressure gauge and you could tap into the third spool to test it.
The pressure is adjusted on the front left side in picture.
But it will not go higher than the total system pressure, but you can change that to to some degree.
What's the acceptable psi for the low.. and high end of pressures ?
I looked at gauge sets on both ebay and amazon, could I impose on you to suggest which one would work for I need to achieve? They are many different ones and I don't want to get the wrong one. Thks

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You would be looking for 1570PSI low to 1710PSI high.
Here is one of the gauges I have for these tests.

Newer tractors have higher pressure limits, if you would like a gauge that will test those too go with this one.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
You would be looking for 1570PSI low to 1710PSI high.
Here is one of the gauges I have for these tests.

Newer tractors have higher pressure limits, if you would like a gauge that will test those too go with this one.

I can't thank you enough!
I'll order that gauge immediately, will this gauge need any adaptors? say 1/4" to 1/2" Because I believe the valve body uses 1/2" plugs

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'll order that gauge immediately, will this gauge need any adaptors? say 1/4" to 1/2" Because I believe the valve body uses 1/2" plugs
Yes you can pick up brass 1/4" to 1/2" adapters at HD, Lowes or other hardware stores.

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Thank You O Sooo Much North Idaho Wolfman!!!!
Thank You O Sooo Much North Idaho Wolfman!!!!
Ok, so here's where we are...
Finally got the adaptor for 1/2 to 1/4, for the gauge, placed the gauge on spool #3 ( far right side), the gauge was reading at 2300 psi then I adjusted down to 1700 psi when in use. At running speed with no hydraulics being used it reads between 700 & 850 psi. Is that idle reading OK?

flynavy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 1, 2014
Laurel Springs, NJ
Ok, so here's where we are...

Finally got the gauge and adaptor for 1/2 to 1/4, for the gauge, placed the gauge on spool #3 ( far right side), the gauge was reading at 2300 psi then I adjusted down to 1700 psi with spool operated. At running speed with no hydraulics being used it reads between 700 & 850 psi.
Is that idle reading OK?
Also at idle when I operate the "down" operation of another spool valve the gauge reads around 500psi, is this ok?
The overall spools seem to operate the bucket slightly slower but smooth.