Spoke too soon....B6200 oil seal leak

stoutakubota

Equipment
B6200HSTD
Jul 11, 2016
Ontario Canada
Hi, i am pretty disappointed today. Went out this evening to check on tractor and found hydraulic fluid again leaking from the right rear brake housing.

Just where yesterday i posted that i had fixed the problem with an oil seal replacement.

So i guess i have to open it up again and do it all again.

My question to you guys is if you look at the copy of the page from parts list manual below

Looks to me like i may not have got to the root cause of the problem.

Is it likely that the bearing on the inside of the rear drive is so worn that its causing the failure of the oil seal, thinking that the shaft is rotating around in an orbit in the seal rather than just turning on its center.

What part does the sleeve play, should i have replaced this too?

I feel lost. Really took a great deal of care putting the new sleeve in , i do have a bunch more on hand so seals are not a problem but i am now worried that i have another set of oil impregnated brake shoes before i xan get to tear it down again.

I thought i had done a proper job, after doing the seal i left it open on the jack and had filled the fluid and left the whole assembly while i worked on the rebuild of the front power steering cylinder. So in my mind it had loads of time to leak. Naturally not under operating load.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated

Thanks.

stoutakubota

Equipment
B6200HSTD
Jul 11, 2016
Ontario Canada
So i guess nobody else has ever had an issue like this. Was hoping for some practical prior experience.

I guess i will change the seal again but this time check shaft for movement before putting new one in and take even more care not to harm seal.

Live and learn.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
If your bearing is worn, it can cause a wobble. Which can cause a leak. Usually the sleeve gets replaced with the seal. Do you have the workshop manual for your tractor. It should specify which direction the seal goes (spring towards oil, or away from oil).

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I had a similar experience with a Troy rototiller leaking oil from the axle seal. With the new seal in place, there was no leakage while that axle was jacked up, but as soon as it was let down, the leak started. It took me another seal replacement to finally clue in the the bearing sleeve was worn out, causing the shaft to slightly wobble and stretch the seal lip when the axle was loaded and the tiller was moving.

stoutakubota

Equipment
B6200HSTD
Jul 11, 2016
Ontario Canada
Thanks guys, do have both parts and wsm manual, I am rather surprised that the bearing in this case would be worn out but i had thought at the time that something had to have caused seal to pack up in the first place.

There is a sleeve shown on the exploded view which i never replaced.
But now i am thinking i will replace both the bearings on that shaft as well as the sleeve then another oil seal.
Given i have to drain the hydraulics , then split axle case open, with new gaskets and potentially another set of brake shoes, is there anything else anyone can recommend i do while i have it open.

Any chance that anyone knows what the generic bearing numbers are for the two bearings on the brake shaft for the B6200.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Stoutakubota, I'd think you could take the brake shoes and clean them with brake cleaner and get them clean enough to function just fine. They probably haven't absorbed much oil, and you're not stopping an 18 wheeler!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
The bearings should have a name of the manufacturer and part number stamped into the outer portion of the bearing. Just write down the make and part number and call a local bearing supply. So far the local bearing supply has had the bearings in stock for my l1501 for half the price of the dealer.

I agree with D2cat. Clean your brake shoes with some brake cleaner and run with them. :D