Split Brake Preferences?

ade678

Nov 1, 2021
Boalsburg, PA
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide between the LX2610/ 3310 and L2501/3901 (as well as next year's 3902), and am having trouble deciding which model's split brakes layout is more sensible or practical. I've read several posts on this forum about the utility of split brakes, and I have found them to be awfully useful when back dragging dirt or plowing snow.

The L2501/3901 puts the brakes on the right, just above the treadle. The kubota I've rented over the past several years was a 2501, and whenever I need to steer with the brakes, I kind of awkwardly ride side-saddle to press the brake with left foot and the treadle with right. One advantage, however, is that pulling my right foot off of an accelerator pedal to press a brake is a natural and habitual motion. I realize that the automatic stop in the treadle makes this habit largely redundant, *except* for the few times the tractor wasn't in gear and started rolling down one of my rather steep and forested hills -- *fast* -- which is when I was thrilled that my reflex motion is to stomp on a brake pedal with my right foot.

On the other hand...the LX2610/3310, and next year's 3902, place the split brakes on the left, where the clutch used to be. One big advantage is that this probably makes brake steering oh so comfortable! And more precise! Then again, perhaps it wouldn't matter if both my legs are in traction because I have no instinct to stop a rolling tractor by stepping on a pedal where the clutch used to be. (Also, my daily driver is a manual, so my reflexes are wired to clutch with left and brake with right.)

Has anyone found that the left or right split pedal layout makes an important difference?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I personally prefer the left with an HST. With a geared machine, right would be better.

Having said that, I've actually never separated the pedals on my B2601 and used them to steer, I've never had need. So it's a bit theoretical.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
My L4701 HST has the brakes on the left, treadle on the right. Farmall has brakes on left (pedals look like twins of the Kubota just about 70 years older), clutch on right. Ford has clutch and left brake on left, right brake on right. My instinct is to use the brakes wherever they happen to be.

I brake steer all three. The Ford would be near unusable around slopes without brake steer.

Personally, I much prefer the brakes on left, treadle on right. That allows easy brake steering while otherwise traveling normally. Some of the stuff I bush hog, brake steer is just part of the deal; routine and repetitive.

Doesn’t matter to some but actually kind of a big deal to me. I definitely strongly prefer the treadle and brakes on separate sides. I realize that’s just my preference.

Reactions: 1 user

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi All,

I'm trying to decide between the LX2610/ 3310 and L2501/3901 (as well as next year's 3902), and am having trouble deciding which model's split brakes layout is more sensible or practical. I've read several posts on this forum about the utility of split brakes, and I have found them to be awfully useful when back dragging dirt or plowing snow.

The L2501/3901 puts the brakes on the right, just above the treadle. The kubota I've rented over the past several years was a 2501, and whenever I need to steer with the brakes, I kind of awkwardly ride side-saddle to press the brake with left foot and the treadle with right. One advantage, however, is that pulling my right foot off of an accelerator pedal to press a brake is a natural and habitual motion. I realize that the automatic stop in the treadle makes this habit largely redundant, *except* for the few times the tractor wasn't in gear and started rolling down one of my rather steep and forested hills -- *fast* -- which is when I was thrilled that my reflex motion is to stomp on a brake pedal with my right foot.

On the other hand...the LX2610/3310, and next year's 3902, place the split brakes on the left, where the clutch used to be. One big advantage is that this probably makes brake steering oh so comfortable! And more precise! Then again, perhaps it wouldn't matter if both my legs are in traction because I have no instinct to stop a rolling tractor by stepping on a pedal where the clutch used to be. (Also, my daily driver is a manual, so my reflexes are wired to clutch with left and brake with right.)

Has anyone found that the left or right split pedal layout makes an important difference?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Need to be able to operate brakes and HST pedal at same time.

Brakes need to be on left on HST tractors, which is why Kubota is changing those that are not upon redesign.

SDT

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Need to be able to operate brakes and HST pedal at same time.

Brakes need to be on left on HST tractors, which is why Kubota is changing those that are not upon redesign.

SDT
It feels to me that they're slowly moving their range based on %HST vs %gear. So tractors like the L, which probably had a significant number that were gear drive, they still had the brakes where they used to be, and on the L they still had a clutch for the PTO on the left. They've gone to an electronic clutch, and moved the brakes to the left. I presume those that now buy gear-drive Ls will be unhappy. But they're a pretty small percentage these days.