SPL1060 Snow Pusher and BX23S

NoPailNoFail

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 14, 2022
Southeast Michigan
I recently purchased a BX23S. I purchased a snow pusher when I purchased the tractor. The sales people said that the snow pusher, a Land Pride SPL1060 would work with the BX, but on the land pride website it shows the B series as the smallest tractor for the 1060. The recommended snow pusher for a BX is the 05 series. The weight of the 1060 is 346 lbs. The weight of the 0560 is 168 lbs. Is the larger, heavier pusher going to cause any problems? The tractor lifts and manipulates it easily. If it is not a problem, there is a pull back option I am curious about getting the parts for. The pull back option weighs 104 pounds. Would a 450lb pusher be too heavy?

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I would say keep the hoe on, that might make the 23S get closer to the weight of a B series (?)
Cannot attest to power, I assume the low end grunt is there on either tractor, LP website says you only need 20 HP, and no problem with the BX lifting 346 lbs. I would say LP's concern was with "pushing weight"
What does the hoe add to the back? 500 lbs ?

You can have all the HP in the world, but if you don't have weight / downforce on your side, you're not pushing anything. Sorry for the use of all these technical terms lol

NoPailNoFail

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 14, 2022
Southeast Michigan
PaulR,
Thanks for the response. Interesting idea about the weight difference. The backhoe adds about 600lbs to the rear, and the whole tractor (minus snow pusher) weighs about 2660lbs.

Tractor only with ROPS 1570lbs
Loader (no bucket) 480lbs
Backhoe 610lbs

Snow pusher 346 Lbs

Depending on which B series model, the weight can range from 1600 (B01 series) to at least 2450lbs (B3350 Cab). There may be other models I couldn't find specs for, but the weight seems comparable.

Could you explain what you mean by "pushing weight"? Do you mean the weight doing the pushing or the weight being pushed?

PaulR

Equipment
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
PaulR,
Thanks for the response. Interesting idea about the weight difference. The backhoe adds about 600lbs to the rear, and the whole tractor (minus snow pusher) weighs about 2660lbs.

Tractor only with ROPS 1570lbs
Loader (no bucket) 480lbs
Backhoe 610lbs

Snow pusher 346 Lbs

Depending on which B series model, the weight can range from 1600 (B01 series) to at least 2450lbs (B3350 Cab). There may be other models I couldn't find specs for, but the weight seems comparable.

Could you explain what you mean by "pushing weight"? Do you mean the weight doing the pushing or the weight being pushed?
I'm just using common sense and experience over anything else. Yes, the weight doing the pushing. If the weight of what you are trying to push is heavier than what is doing the pushing, you're not going anywhere. I had this with my ATV for many years, didn't plow the heavy stuff for crap.

Obviously a lot of other variable to consider, a pusher vs a plow, a pusher will maintain a lot more snow in front of it, making the load even heavier....So then maybe the load on just a 24 HP tractor may become a factor, but again do your diligence and don't take my word as gospel, I don't even know the HP of the B series tractors off hand.

Reactions: 1 user

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I think that the salesman just wanted to get rid of the inventory and didn't consider the pushing ability of your BX. I can say firsthand that the BX can handle only so much before the weight of the snow will stop it in its tracks. A few years ago, I had to keep pushing the wet snow off to the side, because the BX couldn't push it as an angled plow should. I would take it back and get the pusher that they recommend. As for weight, I have about 700 pounds in my weight box and it keeps my tires firmly planted, but the BX just isn't heavy enough to push heavy wet snow like a bigger machine. I have even had some heavy wet snow overwhelm my snowblower.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulR

Equipment
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I think that the salesman just wanted to get rid of the inventory and didn't consider the pushing ability of your BX. I can say firsthand that the BX can handle only so much before the weight of the snow will stop it in its tracks. A few years ago, I had to keep pushing the wet snow off to the side, because the BX couldn't push it as an angled plow should. I would take it back and get the pusher that they recommend. As for weight, I have about 700 pounds in my weight box and it keeps my tires firmly planted, but the BX just isn't heavy enough to push heavy wet snow like a bigger machine. I have even had some heavy wet snow overwhelm my snowblower.
^^^^^
Sounds like this guy has more experience than me. I have plowed wet snow with my 23S exactly once. I use the snowblower often.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Try it up a hill....that extra 200lbs in the front will probably show some. The backhoe on the back does ballast the front but also adds weight the machine has to pull up the hill.

Not saying it wont work, but that is where I would determine if it is good or not.

NoPailNoFail

Equipment
BX23S
Feb 14, 2022
Southeast Michigan
Thanks for the different input. It is appreciated.

This is my concern. I talked to the salesman and it seems to be part selling what they had and part not realizing how much heavier the pusher is than the recommended one.

Try it up a hill....that extra 200lbs in the front will probably show some. The backhoe on the back does ballast the front but also adds weight the machine has to pull up the hill.

Not saying it wont work, but that is where I would determine if it is good or not.
No hills on the property, so the best test I will get is snowfall. A potential storm tomorrow may leave me with plenty to test the pusher on.

The dealer is willing to work with me on switching to other options, such as a snow plow, if the pusher does not work out. One way or another, I will be moving snow around.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Get the smaller snow pusher and you will not regret it. Sometimes bigger isn't better. I have a snowblower, and a plow, and the snow pusher is next on my list of needed tools. Seems that the snowblower doesn't like heavy wet snow, and neither does the plow if there is too much of it. That is when I break out the old Ford plow truck, but this winter it is down and out because of a bad clutch.