PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
hotshop9.jpg

hotshop10.jpg

Finished strapping the ceiling joists and installed the framing for the winch trolley. Ran a 2x6 down the centerline right below the vertical members, nailed at each joist. Then I ran 2x4's above the joists where I could get them on the centerline and ran a piece of threaded rod up through and snugged it up. Bottom is countersunk so the barn door track the trolley runs in will be flush to the 2x6.

The load of drywall that was supposed to be here today didn't show (3rd screwup out of 5 deliveries...) and is re-scheduled for tomorrow. It better DAMN well show up because I've got equipment rented and help scheduled for the weekend.

If they screw it up again, someone is going the get the benefit of a good old-fashioned U.S. Navy CPO ass-chewing.

Reactions: 1 users

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
They musta heard me. The drywall showed up before 9AM this morning AND the power company sent me the forms I need to get power hooked up.

Reactions: 1 user

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Door showed up this afternoon, and I picked up $200 worth of EMT fittings for the electrical @ Deep Homo. I think I'm good for the weekend... :D

• Haha

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
hotshop13.jpg

hotshop14.jpg

#1 Grandson came down for another work day and we got the major portion of the drywall hung. Just some narrow strips on the ceiling and a couple pieces on the lower part of the wall.

#2 Grandson is coming down tomorrow and we'll install the double man door. After that it's mud, paint and electrical.

Reactions: 3 users

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
To frame the ceiling, insulate walls and ceiling, cover everything with drywall, install a double entry door, install a service entrance, get connected to utility power, wire for outlets, lights, welder and air compressor and install a free furnace and oil tank will run about $6000. And that estimate may be low by as much as $1000 as I don't have a price on getting a pole set and don't have the bill from the electrician that installed the service entrance yet.

Just the approved chimney for the oil-fired hot air furnace is going to be around $500.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
hotshop15.jpg

hotshop16.jpg

Got all the drywall up, did a quick-and-dirty tape job (hey, it's just a shop...) and slapped a coat of primer on everything.

Rolling the ceiling about killed my shoulders, REALLY not looking forward to applying a second coat.

Hope to get #2 Grandson down this weekend to get the door installed and then it's on to the electrical.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Think you need to get the grandson to do the painting too ;):LOL:
Too true, but I want to save him for when I REALLY need him. He works 5/6 days a week and only sees his daughter on weekends so I don't like to take up too much of his time.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Make sure you that when you think you have installed enough electric outlets and lights, you install a few more. It’s amazing how what you think is enough quickly become not enough. Shop is looking good.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Make sure you that when you think you have installed enough electric outlets and lights, you install a few more. It’s amazing how what you think is enough quickly become not enough. Shop is looking good.
The plan is double-duplex outlets every 5-6 feet down the walls, a row of ceiling outlets for daisy-chained LED shop lights, a 220 run for the air compressor and a welder outlet.

All in surface mount boxes and EMT so if changes/expansions are needed, it's easy to do.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
When I insulated The Shop To Be, I put R5 blue board between the rafters just under the tin roof, R19 batts in the ceiling joists and R15 rock wool in the stud bays. 1/2" dry wall on walls and ceiling.

It is 92° in the shade outside, and not a cloud in the sky. In my essentially uninsulated garage with the overhead doors open, it's 86°

In TSTB, with no windows and the door closed, it's 70° Started on the electrical as it was so comfy in there. Too freakin' hot for this old Yankee to be doing anything else.

If it keeps the warm in this Winter as well as it's keeping the hot out now, I'll be a happy camper.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Paul - - 70 degrees is a great indication...should be easy to heat.

Looks like a wonderful project coming together just fine!

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
hotshop17.jpg

hotshop18.jpg

hotshop19.jpg

Conduit, boxes and wire run for outlets on the walls.

The up-and-over on the old breaker box is because it's my only source of power until the utility company hooks me up. Plus I'd have had to re-run a bunch of romex. Easier to just leave it.

I'll run it as a sub-panel off the new box once it's hooked up. Then I can pull the direct burial wire that feeds it now and put that last piece of drywall up.

Waiting on the LED shop lights to arrive, then I'll run the conduit, boxes and wire for them.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
View attachment 61264

View attachment 61265

View attachment 61266

Conduit, boxes and wire run for outlets on the walls.

The up-and-over on the old breaker box is because it's my only source of power until the utility company hooks me up. Plus I'd have had to re-run a bunch of romex. Easier to just leave it.

I'll run it as a sub-panel off the new box once it's hooked up. Then I can pull the direct burial wire that feeds it now and put that last piece of drywall up.

Waiting on the LED shop lights to arrive, then I'll run the conduit, boxes and wire for them.
Why weren't the wires and and outlets installed in the wall as you had it opened up? It don't know much about this stuff and am not being critical of your efforts. Looks great.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Jimmy, I did it that way because it's easier to modify if changes are needed down the road. Also, I don't have to worry about wiring in the wall being damaged when I hang shelves and such. Plus, it makes insulation much easier to do and more efficient as you don't have to work around wiring and boxes.

Houses are wired through the walls for aesthetics - most industrial wiring is done in conduit.