Spanner wrenches

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
I'm rebuilding my bucket cylinder....and so far....absolutely NO ONE has a frigging spanner wrench that will fit this cylinder. The cylinder is 3" in diameter - but the pin is 15/64. (I used a drill index until I could find that one size that fit perfectly.)

Of course after spending too much time scouring the interwebs looking for the wrench - I found myself once again adding 4-letter expletives to "Kubota". I mean, if the damned tool is so frigging special - then why can't I find any Kubota dealers that even list spanner wrenches with a description??? Coleman has a listing t6hat just says "Spanner". No details. No pic. but you can bet your hoo-haas the price was there.

If there is anything I rebel against - it's somebody trying to put me over a barrel.

Blkvoodoo

Equipment
B2400, LA352, RC60, Cammond Box Blade
Mar 27, 2010
Zebulon NC
A tight fitting strap wrench, a smaller chain wrench (what I used) a gently operated pipe wrench, maybe even a good set of larger channel lock pliers Will all do what you need to do.
The gland nut will not be that tight, once broken loose it will be snug for a few rounds because of the sealing o-ring at the crown of the gland inside.
I just did this on all 4 cylinders, my loader stays in the weather, and it came apart with no issues.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I'm rebuilding my bucket cylinder....and so far....absolutely NO ONE has a frigging spanner wrench that will fit this cylinder. The cylinder is 3" in diameter - but the pin is 15/64. (I used a drill index until I could find that one size that fit perfectly.)

Of course after spending too much time scouring the interwebs looking for the wrench - I found myself once again adding 4-letter expletives to "Kubota". I mean, if the damned tool is so frigging special - then why can't I find any Kubota dealers that even list spanner wrenches with a description??? Coleman has a listing t6hat just says "Spanner". No details. No pic. but you can bet your hoo-haas the price was there.

If there is anything I rebel against - it's somebody trying to put me over a barrel.
I'd guess 6mm pin hole. McMaster has a couple. There is no law that says you cant drill the hole oversize and use an adjustable hook wrench. I find them more versatile and they grip better.

Dan

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
If it's a pin spanner, 10 minutes of fabrication work on scrap iron...
IMG_0904.JPG

Made for this lift cylinder....
IMG_0905.JPG

If it's a cap type..... use a pipe or chain wrench.
No "damn friggin special tools" required.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
depends on the style of cylinder. Some (like the one pictured in the previous post) require a pin spanner, if that's the case just make one. Others, a big pair of channel locks will get them out just fine. That or a pipe wrench. There's a little trick to it in either case. Whack the cylinder where the threads are with a mallet before you try to loosen the gland. Just tap it a few times around the outside, you don't need to get carried away with lots of force.

netxtown

Aug 8, 2013
Blue Ridge, Tx
depends on the style of cylinder. Some (like the one pictured in the previous post) require a pin spanner, if that's the case just make one. Others, a big pair of channel locks will get them out just fine. That or a pipe wrench. There's a little trick to it in either case. Whack the cylinder where the threads are with a mallet before you try to loosen the gland. Just tap it a few times around the outside, you don't need to get carried away with lots of force.
I really really wanted to do it with the right tool. And, being the boom cylinders will most probably need new seals soon, I was more than willing to buy a spanner for each size. What a PIA.

Of course, Kubota publishes no spec what-so-ever of the pin size - or even a 'referral' to a model or vendor for the tool.

Hello, Mr. Pipe Wrench. Worked just fine.

Guess it still holds true!
You can't always get what you want. But if you try sometime, you just might find, you get what you need.