Soon to Purchase B7100hst /Transmission Reliability

John1670

Equipment
1995 B710 HSTD, RFM-48 Finish Mower, Land Pride RB1560 Blade
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
Hey guys. Brand new here to the forum and to tractor ownership. I grew up working on vegetable and tree farms but with all gear drive tractors. I'm finally at the point in my life where I need one of my own. I intend on using it for tilling a large garden, firewood transportation, snow removal, mowing roughly 2 acres of grass and general maintenance around the property. It doesn't have a FEL but i talked to Coldwater tractors this week and got information and prices. I know this topic has been discussed in previous forums so I apologize, but I'm looking for some details and confirmation from owners.
I looked at a early 80's B7100D gear drive with around 1600 hrs. and no implements for around $2700. No clue how many owners and condition is fair to good. Tires will need replacing and some TLC for various items.
I'm going tomorrow to look at a 1995 B7100hst 4wd with just south of 500hrs. Original owners, garage kept with maintenance records and includes rear blade and 50 inch finish mower for around $5000. I know it seems like a pretty clear decision but I'm concerned about a couple things:

1. I read an article on here about parts availability being basically non existent for the hydrostatic transmissions for this series tractor. How bad is it?

2. I'm new to hydro trans and have only used gear drive machines before. That's why I have been mostly looking for an older gear driven 7100D. Can I expect reliability from the transmission with regular maintenance and oil/filter changes? I'm concerned with buying something that might time out in a couple years and have issues with normal usage.

3. Will simple tasks like mowing or plowing fields cause issues with the trans/engine to heat up on a regular basis? I've read some owners have had issues with this or damaged their engine/transmission.

Once again I'm sorry for asking something that seems redundant in the past but hydrostatic transmissions are brand new to me. With it being my first real tractor I just want to make sure I'm getting proper information from owners or past owners with real facts before putting out the cash. Thanks again John.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well let me first say this - DEPENDING on what you are doing ...and yes it really depends, a geared vs hst is like talking about DEMs or REPs or which oil is better or which football teams is better!

I ran a gear 53 Jubilee for many years, loved it - but now that I have 4 kubota's and ALL of them are HST's - I would NOT go back to gear for any reason.............. other than pto HP - and sometimes that is a killing loss of HP with HST (on the geared and HST B7100 model they both are approx 13 HP) but on larger machines the difference can be 10% loss on HST

IF you are cutting grass, if your are moving dirt, if you are moving snow, if you need to speed up and down all the time and most importantly IF you need to go forward and then reverse in frequent cycles ... HST IS THE way to go. Many will not like this next statement ........ you can do more work faster with HST IF a constant speed cannot be used. IF you are in wide open fields there really is no difference - but HST's movements are superior to change direction over geared unit. Gears will have more power to the PTO. By the time someone has switched from 2nd to R and back, the HST model has made another movement...... (shuttle shift excluded!)

I plowed a parking lot with that 53 and 5' blade...... my left leg was sore as hell over that 3 hours period - up and back down on the clutch, did the same lot with a FEL (smaller than blade) in 70% of the time, simply because I did not have to stop and shift.

But I have not answered your question at all - so here it is .............the HST with only 500 hours will need oil/filter changed (or perhaps it has had) but that is the only thing you will need to worry about.

Is a HST expensive as hell to fix.......yes!!! Is a clutch easy to fix .....yes!!!!!! But in all honesty I have not heard of anyone on this board mentioning that they needed a NEW HST unit in a B7100 and most are 30+ years old.

IS the HST bullet proof on a B7100 - I think so, but I would hate to have to replace one!

Personally I would BUY the HST version that he is asking for 5k and get it down a bit (that mower -is it a belly mower or 3 point? Belly mower is either 54" or 60" ) If that machine is cherry as you mentioned and has data to prove what has been done - 5k is a good price IMO.
Go ahead and price those tires for the older B model...... your will spend a good chunk to get the correct tires and more for the little TLC things.

Another HUGE advantage that many do not realize with a HST.....it is naturally braking - I have gone down a 28 degree slope on that FORD in 1st gear, only to have one tire skid and the other start to slip....and the ride down the hill leaves you checking your pants.........

Same hill and HST ( better in 4wd) - let off the treadle and you stop inside 2 feet!!!! With HST the brake pedal is rarely used (other than to lock to get off the tractor)

Your call - but the HST in these B7100 are really something - they are made very well and should last upwards of 4000 hours or more depending on their maintenance. (don't use wally world oils in them - use well documented correct oil in the HST unit and kubota filters)

You decide what is best for you - but bottom line, don't fear the service of the HST version!;)

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Are you sure you don't need an FEL? They're super useful, and expensive to add later.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I second Paul’s question....if you want a loader, buy a tractor with one.....

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hey guys. Brand new here to the forum and to tractor ownership. I grew up working on vegetable and tree farms but with all gear drive tractors. I'm finally at the point in my life where I need one of my own. I intend on using it for tilling a large garden, firewood transportation, snow removal, mowing roughly 2 acres of grass and general maintenance around the property. It doesn't have a FEL but i talked to Coldwater tractors this week and got information and prices. I know this topic has been discussed in previous forums so I apologize, but I'm looking for some details and confirmation from owners.
I looked at a early 80's B7100D gear drive with around 1600 hrs. and no implements for around $2700. No clue how many owners and condition is fair to good. Tires will need replacing and some TLC for various items.
I'm going tomorrow to look at a 1995 B7100hst 4wd with just south of 500hrs. Original owners, garage kept with maintenance records and includes rear blade and 50 inch finish mower for around $5000. I know it seems like a pretty clear decision but I'm concerned about a couple things:

1. I read an article on here about parts availability being basically non existent for the hydrostatic transmissions for this series tractor. How bad is it?

2. I'm new to hydro trans and have only used gear drive machines before. That's why I have been mostly looking for an older gear driven 7100D. Can I expect reliability from the transmission with regular maintenance and oil/filter changes? I'm concerned with buying something that might time out in a couple years and have issues with normal usage.

3. Will simple tasks like mowing or plowing fields cause issues with the trans/engine to heat up on a regular basis? I've read some owners have had issues with this or damaged their engine/transmission.

Once again I'm sorry for asking something that seems redundant in the past but hydrostatic transmissions are brand new to me. With it being my first real tractor I just want to make sure I'm getting proper information from owners or past owners with real facts before putting out the cash. Thanks again John.
I bought my B1750HSTD new in 1993, and it has proven to be the best major purchase of my life.

Given proper maintenance, there is no reason to expect a HST transmission to wear out early, though they are very expensive to replace if such is needed. (Replacing a gear type transmission is also very expensive though such is rarely needed.)

Given the B7100 that you are considering has only 500 hours and the owner has maintenance records, I would certainly not hesitate to buy it, if all else about the deal is acceptable.

That said, HST transmissions are NOT tolerant of dirty oil and filters, and very expensive damage can result from such in a short time. Check the maintenance records carefully.

Finally, HST transmissions are considerably less efficient than gear type transmissions and not well suited to tillage type work where gear type transmissions excell. Yes, you can plow with a HST transmission but I certainly would not want to do much such work.

SDT

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
Well let me first say this - DEPENDING on what you are doing ...and yes it really depends, a geared vs hst is like talking about DEMs or REPs or which oil is better or which football teams is better!

I ran a gear 53 Jubilee for many years, loved it - but now that I have 4 kubota's and ALL of them are HST's - I would NOT go back to gear for any reason.............. other than pto HP - and sometimes that is a killing loss of HP with HST (on the geared and HST B7100 model they both are approx 13 HP) but on larger machines the difference can be 10% loss on HST

IF you are cutting grass, if your are moving dirt, if you are moving snow, if you need to speed up and down all the time and most importantly IF you need to go forward and then reverse in frequent cycles ... HST IS THE way to go. Many will not like this next statement ........ you can do more work faster with HST IF a constant speed cannot be used. IF you are in wide open fields there really is no difference - but HST's movements are superior to change direction over geared unit. Gears will have more power to the PTO. By the time someone has switched from 2nd to R and back, the HST model has made another movement...... (shuttle shift excluded!)

I plowed a parking lot with that 53 and 5' blade...... my left leg was sore as hell over that 3 hours period - up and back down on the clutch, did the same lot with a FEL (smaller than blade) in 70% of the time, simply because I did not have to stop and shift.

But I have not answered your question at all - so here it is .............the HST with only 500 hours will need oil/filter changed (or perhaps it has had) but that is the only thing you will need to worry about.

Is a HST expensive as hell to fix.......yes!!! Is a clutch easy to fix .....yes!!!!!! But in all honesty I have not heard of anyone on this board mentioning that they needed a NEW HST unit in a B7100 and most are 30+ years old.

IS the HST bullet proof on a B7100 - I think so, but I would hate to have to replace one!

Personally I would BUY the HST version that he is asking for 5k and get it down a bit (that mower -is it a belly mower or 3 point? Belly mower is either 54" or 60" ) If that machine is cherry as you mentioned and has data to prove what has been done - 5k is a good price IMO.
Go ahead and price those tires for the older B model...... your will spend a good chunk to get the correct tires and more for the little TLC things.

Another HUGE advantage that many do not realize with a HST.....it is naturally braking - I have gone down a 28 degree slope on that FORD in 1st gear, only to have one tire skid and the other start to slip....and the ride down the hill leaves you checking your pants.........

Same hill and HST ( better in 4wd) - let off the treadle and you stop inside 2 feet!!!! With HST the brake pedal is rarely used (other than to lock to get off the tractor)

Your call - but the HST in these B7100 are really something - they are made very well and should last upwards of 4000 hours or more depending on their maintenance. (don't use wally world oils in them - use well documented correct oil in the HST unit and kubota filters)

You decide what is best for you - but bottom line, don't fear the service of the HST version!;)
Thanks for the information 85Hokie. It was very helpful today and cleared up some of my doubts when I went and looked at it today. I can honestly say it was too good to pass up. I took it for a ride and it was a solid machine. Everything was tight, no leaks, no dents and no rust. They had all of their maintenance records which was just scheduled maintenance. Thanks again!

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
Are you sure you don't need an FEL? They're super useful, and expensive to add later.
Hey PaulL, it's in the future plans. I talked to Coldwater Tractors this week and got a price and confirmed fitment on the tractor. With their price and what I'm paying for the machine I'll be ok. I plan on having this machine for a long time.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thanks for the information 85Hokie. It was very helpful today and cleared up some of my doubts when I went and looked at it today. I can honestly say it was too good to pass up. I took it for a ride and it was a solid machine. Everything was tight, no leaks, no dents and no rust. They had all of their maintenance records which was just scheduled maintenance. Thanks again!

One thing I failed to mention ..... those rear hubs! Jack that machine up and pull top v bottom on the a rear .... loose? Probably ...... MAKE SURE there is a long pin in the hole ..... those hubs will wobble and drive you crazy. There are better hubs.... but they are a little pricey.

Due diligence will help those hubs - and tighting the spring loaded bolt will help too.

Picture of what I am talking about :

OLD STYLE

1601153262272.png

NEWER STYLE

1601153307038.png

OR

1601153355594.png

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
I bought my B1750HSTD new in 1993, and it has proven to be the best major purchase of my life.

Given proper maintenance, there is no reason to expect a HST transmission to wear out early, though they are very expensive to replace if such is needed. (Replacing a gear type transmission is also very expensive though such is rarely needed.)

Given the B7100 that you are considering has only 500 hours and the owner has maintenance records, I would certainly not hesitate to buy it, if all else about the deal is acceptable.

That said, HST transmissions are NOT tolerant of dirty oil and filters, and very expensive damage can result from such in a short time. Check the maintenance records carefully.

Finally, HST transmissions are considerably less efficient than gear type transmissions and not well suited to tillage type work where gear type transmissions excell. Yes, you can plow with a HST transmission but I certainly would not want to do much such work.

SDT
Thanks SDT. I went ahead and bought it. They are a solid machine and the hst trans is so easy. Thanks for your information and feedback.

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
Thanks for your feedback. I took your advice and went in with an open mind. What a machine. The hst transmission was solid and easy to operate (I've only used gear driven). I purchased it today at a good price and will pick it up on Tuesday. The owners are awesome people that took a lot of pride in this machine and took good care of it. I'm really happy for my first tractor purchase and look forward to using it. Thanks again!!

Attachments

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
One thing I failed to mention ..... those rear hubs! Jack that machine up and pull top v bottom on the a rear .... loose? Probably ...... MAKE SURE there is a long pin in the hole ..... those hubs will wobble and drive you crazy. There are better hubs.... but they are a little pricey.

Due diligence will help those hubs - and tighting the spring loaded bolt will help too.

Picture of what I am talking about :

OLD STYLE

View attachment 48842

NEWER STYLE

View attachment 48843

OR

View attachment 48844
I never checked those. I will check them when I pick it up and keep an eye on them. I just priced out the new ones at around $130 per side so if I have to replace them it's not that bad. Thanks I wouldn't even known to check or keep an eye on them.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
looking at those pictures......... you stole that tractor at the price you paid! That B7100 is really nice :)

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thanks for your feedback. I took your advice and went in with an open mind. What a machine. The hst transmission was solid and easy to operate (I've only used gear driven). I purchased it today at a good price and will pick it up on Tuesday. The owners are awesome people that took a lot of pride in this machine and took good care of it. I'm really happy for my first tractor purchase and look forward to using it. Thanks again!!
My B1750 has the same tire combination as your B7100.

The Z-bar rears are easy on the turf, much better than other tires in snow, and better than R-3s or R-4s in the dirt.

I do not believe that there is a better tire combination for such tractors.

Yes, you must keep the rear axle hubs TIGHT.

SDT

John1670

Equipment
Sep 25, 2020
Northwest NJ
My B1750 has the same tire combination as your B7100.

The Z-bar rears are easy on the turf, much better than other tires in snow, and better than R-3s or R-4s in the dirt.

I do not believe that there is a better tire combination for such tractors.

Yes, you must keep the rear axle hubs TIGHT.

SDT
I've read good things about the z-bar tires. Hopefully the turf hold up in the front. I forgot to look at the ply rating yesterday/ I might end up doing some light brush hogging and tilling so I hope the perform well.

Win22wrf

Equipment
B7100
Jun 4, 2020
Lincoln, Nebraska
Nice tractor! It looks like its in excellent shape. I use mine alot, have 2100 hours on it and its never let me down.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Took me 10+ Kubota's to get to where I am today. Every one was a bit larger in size and power. I've arrived at what I need to do everything I need to do so I'm set now until I'm deceased and then someone else will get 2 well maintained Kubota's.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I've read good things about the z-bar tires. Hopefully the turf hold up in the front. I forgot to look at the ply rating yesterday/ I might end up doing some light brush hogging and tilling so I hope the perform well.
All 4 of the tires on my 1993 B1750 HST are original and in very good condition.

I do store it inside so the UV load is limited.

When the tractor was around 10 years old, I installed tubes in the front tires as they would no longer hold air tubeless.

SDT

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
I recently bought a b7100.. showing 2554 hours and from south Florida and parked outside is no where near as nice as yours.. but it always starts with about 15 seconds of glow plugs and has a 60 inch mower that was modified to fit to mow my 2 acres. Pretty sure it has the original rear tires from 85 that say made in Japan too..

Surprisingly it does not leak oil or hydraulic fluid.. well made little tractors