Some of my equipment mods.

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

I thought I would share some of the equipment mods & implement creations I have done over the years.

It is amazing how much more functional a piece of equipment can be with a little imagination, work and steel.

I will start with a basic pic of my L1500DT, she isn't much to look at but she is always ready to work!

This lil tractor continues to amaze people all the time with the things I have done with it.

I already have a bunch of pictures of my "toys/projects", & need to get a bunch more, but I will be adding to this thread with other projects I have done, am working on, or planning.

BTW, some of these projects are in a constant state of change, lol.

Enjoy

Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

Well here is another little project I have been working on for the last 10 years or so, this is one of those in a constant state of change, lol.

It is a 1949 D-4 Cat I salvaged from an old farmer, it had set out in a hog field for at least the first 10 years we lived out here.

At some point he had several of these old machines and used this one for engine parts to keep the others running, so when I talked him out of it there was basically no way to restore it, soooooooo...

We pulled it up the hill and I broke out the cutting torch and wrenches and started removing the cable lift from the front bucket which no longer worked, then removed what was left of the engine.

Once we got down to the base of what we would end up using we started cleaning, and inspecting everything, replaced a few bearings, seals, and oil in the axle/steering section and transmission, removed the tracks and built up the front idlers with weld and ground them down so we had a nice smooth thick surface for the track chain to ride on, put the tracks back on and got the adjusters working for proper tension.

Once we had what was left of the original tractor all cleaned, serviced and ready to go, we started on the good part, lol.

I had an old Jeep CJ5 sitting around that the body had rusted completely off of, so we took the 6 cyl and 4 speed tranny out of it, and cut the front u-joint off the drive shaft.

Next we took the drive shaft stub to a machine shop and had the existing tube removed from the stub and then took a piece of "large" round stock, bored and keyed the center to fit over the D4's input shaft for the transmission, and had the outside dia turned to fit inside the u-joint stub, then we welded the new adapter to the stub, installed a new u-joint and we were ready to drop the new power train into the old cat and bring it back to life.

We used the u-joint between the Jeep tranny output shaft and the D4 input shaft just in case we didn't get the alignment close enough, and it worked out pretty good.

We slid the new engine and tranny in place and then fabricated motor mounts and welded them in place, then mounted the radiator and hooked up the hoses, connected the fuel lines, battery, wiring, ignition switch, and exhaust, and it was all ready to go.

The old D4 now had 16 forward gears and 4 reverse, we weren’t sure how well the 6 banger would do for power in this thing but once we got it all working it turned out great, granted it was wayyyyyyyy too little weight up front but it had plenty of grunt, and speed.

This lil beast is UNSTOPPABLE, and could pull the house down.

Notice we chained up the lifting arm in front, we didn't want to remove the arm in hopes of some day adding hydraulics to lift it.

We added the "cab/ropes" more for protection from flying limbs, rain, and snow than for roll over protection.

We put this machine together for use around the farm and logging, so we fabricated a 3 point hitch, (still waiting on hydraulics).

Then weleded in a reciever hitch so we could pull the log trailer.

Well enough for now, I will continue with this lil machine in the next post.

Enjoy

Paul

Last edited:

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

Ok so here is the second installment on the D4.

Fast forward 2 years:

Well the 6 banger from the Jeep did a great job, but like I said it was a tad light, so when my brother went out to start it one very cold winter morning without checking the oil first, and proceded to send a rod through the side of the block, it was time to think fast, (we could not afford to be down, time is money in the logging business).

I had an old Ford pickup sitting around with the 6.9L, (V8) diesel in it, so we yanked it out, pulled the 6 banger, and lucky for us the 4 speed tranny bolted up to the diesel bellhousing, so it was just a matter of cutting the motor mounts off and making a new set for the diesel, had to round up a larger radiator, (the truck radiator was too wide to fit), so we found a taller thicker one from a big farm tractor, then drained the gas from the fuel tank and refilled with diesel.

We were down for 3 days changing out motors.

The diesel has actually worked out very well, it weighs about 4 times more than the Jeep motor.

Fast forward another year:

For those of you that might have looked at the first round of pictures and thought the reciever hitch we added to pull the trailer with wouldn't hold up, lol, well not only has it held up, we actually pulled the neck off of the trailer one day trying to get a load of logs out of a bad spot, (we were 120 miles from home and had to remove the neck and bring it back home to repair and beef it up), so we figured out trying to pull the trailer full of logs form hard to get to places wasn't such a good idea.

Here is our solution to that problem.

The bunk arms can be pushed in so they are inside the tracks, or as shown pulled out so we can load logs on them and mule out logs.

At that time it worked, but was slow as we had to load the D4 with the front end loader, then drive both machines out and unload from the D4 onto the trailer or log pile, then drive both machines back into the woods, this is not including the extra fuel used.

Getting in to drive the D4 after it was loaded with logs was a real trick too, lol.

Main thing is this kept us going without tearing the trailer up, (we had to have the trailer in order to move the logs to the mill), we have since bought an old F-900 Ford truck, and then added a 20' knuckleboom, (more on that later).

Not only did the D4 pull the trailer, the trailer also pulled the D4.

This was the day we moved everything 120 miles south to our Aunt & Uncles farm.

Ever tried driving a backhoe 120 miles?

BTW I built this trialer from scratch, it is 20'x8' and originally had a diamond steel dump bed on it, we used it to haul gravel, firewood and such, but the machines they used to unload the logs at the mill were tearing the bed up so we removed it and put the bunks straight to the frame.

It was also made for 2 10K axles but we never got around to buying the second axle for it, I wanted to be able to move the backhoe with it.

Hint: Anyone pulling a trailer for any reason, AlWAYS run radial tires on the trailer, bias ply tires do NOT hold up!

Well enough for now, more to come.

Enjoy
Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

Let's add in some of the tools and equipment used to modify and keep all this up and running first.

This is another smaller trailer I put together mostly to move firewood around with, but I needed to move all the welding stuff from the barn to the house over this past summer so loaded it all up and pulled it with the bota.

In the next 2 you can see another project sitting in the field, it is an old IH dump truck, it runs great but I have to pull the transmission and rebuild or replace it and replace the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing.

OK enough for now, more to come!

Enjoy
Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

Well I think I will go with the trucks next, lol.

Have I mentioned how hard logging is on equipment?

We have also worked our way up from just one 3/4 ton 4x4 pickup, (V8 gas) and the trailer to another 3/4 ton 4x4, (6.9L diesel), Ford F-900 with log bunks and 20' knuckle boom, IH single axle dump,(still sitting awaiting repairs), very old military 2 1/5 ton 6x6, (still waiting for me to figure out what I want to do with it, lol).

It was not easy to work our butts off just to turn around and reinvest everythig into more better equipment, but at least it is all paid for, :cool:.

I picked this 1 ton Ford up from a local auto repair shop for cheap, he had used it for a rollback wrecker, the frame had been extended about 2ft or so.

I am drilling holes for the bed plate so we could pull the gooseneck trailer with it.

I needed something with a bit more grunt, (6.9L diesel), over the white 3/4 ton 4x4, (small gas V-8), seen in the other pictures, only problem with this truck is it was only 2 wheel drive.

I don't remember why I ended up parking this truck, but it is the one we took the engine out of for the D4 when we swapped out the 6 banger.

OK, enough for now, more to come!

just so you know, I have to break this thread into smaller chunks because of the 10 picture limit per post, and I know how much you all enjoy pictures!:D

Enjoy
Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

So this is the last pickup added to the fleet, it is an 85 F-250 4x4 6.9L diesel.

A friend actually gave this truck to me just to come pick it up, we had to drive all the way to the North end of Il., to get it, when we saw him pull up and jump out and throw a block of wood behind the rear wheels we thought OMG, and we are going to get this thing 275 miles back home, lol.

We actually had a tow bar with us just in case, but the old truck made the trip just fine, and I have done very little to it so far, just removed the bed, installed a ball plate to pull the trailer, then made a flat bed for it, last summer we changed out the fuel tank, the old one started leaking.

The big thing with it is the body has finally rusted to the point where I no longer drive it on the road, I consider it unsafe, lol.

I have another cab and better engine for it, just haven't gotten around to swapping them out yet.

Had another friend out in CA send me a donnor truck, 87 F-350 2 wheel drive.

It has a better engine and an automatic tranny, our plan is to swap out the cab and engine, keeping the 4 speed in this truck, then take the engine from this truck, (better than what is in the D4 now), and swapping it and the auto tranny into the D4, disengaging the clutch when the Jeep engine was running wasn't too bad but the clutch with the diesel engine is a bear, and while the old Cat is a real workhorse, trying to shift it on the move is this side of impossible, we are hoping that the auto will give us the low end pulling power to get moving and then better ground speed from there.

Ok enough for now, more to come!

Enjoy

Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

Well what say we move to the big boy now.

This was one of the best investments we made, it took tons and tons of work, and a bunch of cash to make it usable, but in the end it has been worth every minute and penny.

Ok so this is basically what we started with, so I will continue on the next thread, (again picture count).

It came out of a quarry and had never been on the road, it was covered in lime, the clutch was shot, I had to start it and get it rolling and then pull in gear to get it moving when we picked it up, my buddy ran out in front of me and kept the road clear so I wouldn't have to stop, lol, good thing is we only had to go a couple of miles over back roads.

Enjoy

Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

So big boy part 2:

Well we started by removing the old dump bed which was totally shot, completly rusted thru, it did raise empty but there was no way I was gonna try hauling anything in it, lol.

After 15 or so gallons of muratic acid, and a few hours with the pressure washer we managed to get most of the lime removed, (sure made it look better).

The first thing we did was go through and change all fluids, complete grease job, replaced all the brake shoes, and a couple of drums, adjusters, actuators, air lines, wheel bearings, a few leaf springs, had the tie rod straightened and the front end aligned, added an air horn, and just basically made sure it would pass inspection, (at one point the Mo DOT stopped me on the way to the mill with a load of logs, and he told me when he was finished that he "Knew" he was going to write me a whole hand full of tickets when he saw me, but when he was done he was so impressed with the condition of the truck he let me slid for being 2500 pounds over weight on the rear axles).

Next came the log bunks, so what we did here was build them using the pivot point for the dump bed and connected the lift cyclinder, (our thinking was we could dump the logs at the mill, or maybe figure out some way to add removal sides and bottom so we could haul rock with it), we never did either, lol.

Over the course of the next 1.5 years we changed out the cab, swapped out the 5 speed tranny with an RTO 916 with overdrive, (gained about 10 MPH on the highway), changed the fuel tank to a 50 gal aluminum mounted on the passengers side behind the cab, moved the air tank down under the frame, added a tool box under the passengers side, (still haven't gotten around to putting one on the driver's side), and put the batteries inside the box, changed the exhaust to a stack, and changed all the wheels to get away from the slpit rims, and put radials all around.

Then we finally caught a deal on the knuckle boom, this changed everything, it made loading so much faster and easier, and when I got to the mill I no longer had to wait in line to get unloaded, I just found and empty spot, fired up the PTO and laid the logs out myself, this cut close to 45 mins off the time it took to deliver a load of logs.

Now around here a typical logging truck is much longer than ours, they have the frame extended, and if they install a boom it is on the end of the truck, we chose to put ours right behind the cab, doing this opened up a new market for us, since we were so short in length and didn't have the boom hangiing off the back we found out we could go MANY places oter trucks couldn't, as a result other loggers for 4 counties started calling wanting to hire us to "Mule" logs out so other trucks could get access, or mule them out and load 18 wheelers, again this was so much faster then them trying to load using front end loaders or dozers with forks.

This worked out rather well for awhile, we were able to make some good money without having to actually cut timber, plus this truck is a bit underpowered and geared really low for running on the highway, so I was able to make more money per day than slow poking our own logs to the mill, but the down side was the abuse the truck took, running over stumps, rocks, and other crap could blow a tire, plus I was using the boom much more which add more wear and tear on the whole system, and sitting up on the boom if i blew a hyd line it would pump 15-20 gallons of hyd fluid out on the ground before I could get down and turn everything off, and then I was usually in a bad spot all alone, and would have to try and find a spot to get cell service and call my buddy to bring wrenches to we could remove the bad line, run to town and have one made, buy more fluid, then go back out and repair everything, most of the time this shot the whole day and burned through the profits for the day.

Bottom line if I got a full days work and nothing broke we did really good, if something broke then not so much.

It finally got to the point where timber prices started falling off and fuel prices were going up, and all the loggers were starting to complain because I was charging a fuel surcharge, and since they weren't getting as much for the timber they were expecting me to lower my prices so they could make more money, they just couldn't understand my position that I needed to cover my costs and make a profit also, i finally got tired of all the whining and said screw it, parked the truck and haven't been out with it since.

It was at this point where I bought the 05 Western Star and started running OTR, which was great until the cost of fuel continued to rise so much, at $2.50 to $3.00 a gallon I was making good money, but from $3.50 to $4.50 a gallon even with a fuel surcharge my profits were shrinking and shrinking each day...sighs.

WOW, reading back over all that reminds me of having to write an essay, lol.

K enough babbling for now, more to come, (pictures that is, lol)!

Enjoy

Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

Well I will have to get some more pictures taken of the equipment, there are still alot of things I just haven't taken pics of yet, (not sure why), so I will put up a few logging pics and a few other projects I have done.

Here is a tamper I made this summer while working on building up our backyard for a new shed and spot to put in a new pool.

I just welded a piece of pipe to a railroad plate a friend had laying around, this thing is Heavy, lol.

Ok all the rest I have right now are a combo of equipment and logging.

This is the backhoe, it is a real workhorse, but it is totally useless on wet ground, ugggggggggs.

It's amazing what this thing will lift.

I welded a hook and trailer ball to the top of the bucket, this allows for chain lifting and moving the trailer around, both work great.

K enough for this post, more to come!

Enjoy
Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

So from here on I will just be posting general logging pics, with some equipment in the mix.

All these pics were taken either from our place, my best friends place or my Uncle's place.

Couple with my brother and step-son.

This load was worth 3k!

Enough for this post, more to come!

Enjoy

Paul

Battered Sav

Equipment
L2000DT (L225DT) Tiller, Slasher, Finishing mower, Ripper, grader/ripper, PHD.
Oct 1, 2012
Melbourne Australia
Great write up and pics Paul. I really enjoyed reading how the business has grown and developed.

Last edited:

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey everyone,

Well running toward the end of what I have for now, lol, I hope you have enjoyed.

This was a nice load, $2500.00 for just these 2 logs!

Talk about having seen it all, I dropped this tree and it landed on top of another tree and balanced all the way up out of reach!

OK so that does it for everything I have handy.

There are still a bunch of modes and equipment and implements I have made but just haven't taken pics of yet or if I have I can't find them, lol.

I also have some really cool videos from back in the early 90's when we built our pond, but I haven't figured out how to get the mini VHS tapes converted to digital yet, I guess I will have to work on that next.

Enjoy
Paul

Last edited:

Wild and Free

Equipment
B2150 HSD w/Case L340 fel 68" quicktach bkt, 60" jinma snowblower, box scraper
Oct 25, 2012
North Dakota
Wow that is some serious income from a little timber! What kind of wood is it and what does it get used for to bring such a premium?

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Great write up and pics Paul. I really enjoyed reading how the business has grown and developed.
Glad you enjoyed it!

It has been a journey to say the least, but I really enjoy being outdoors and doing stuff like this, I have been turning wrenches since I was 11, (keeping my mower running), and got my first hourly paying job at 12, (turned 13 1.5 months later), helping to build the trailer park we had just moved into.

That was a great summer, I learned to drive everything from dozers and backhoes to dump trucks, and how to level land and pour concrete.

The cutting timber and firewood came from following my Grandfather around on his farm when I was much younger, same goes with driving farm tractors, cutting, raking, baling and putting up hay.

All my early years went a long way toward making me able to do the things I can do today, it sure makes a lasting impression to watch an old timer have a problem and see how he fixes it so he can keep going.

A great example was watching my Grandfather when a bearing on the hay rake shot craps not long after he had got started one morning and he was trying to get the field baled and put up before rain moved in, anyway, he jumped off the tractor, had a look see, walked over to the tractor, opened the toolbox, took out a hammer, chisel, roll of leather, and can of oil, he proceded to drive all the old parts out of the bearing, then cut a strip of leather and wrapped it around where the bearing had been, soaked it in oil and finished out the day, he waited until he got the hay put up and while it was raining he pulled the rake in the barn and replaced the bearing.

Now that's how ya "Get R Done"

Best Regards
Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Wow that is some serious income from a little timber! What kind of wood is it and what does it get used for to bring such a premium?
Those were really old and large Veener White Oaks.

Unfortunately not all logs brought in that much, lol, but those came off my Uncle's farm and had been standing for over 100 years that we knew of, and they were along the field rows so they had gotten plenty of food and water thus they had a really constant and steady growth rate.

Unfortunately I can't find the pics of the couple of Veener Walnuts & 2 Cherry logs we cut, those brought almost double what the White Oaks did.

When you see the buyer at the mill start drooling you know you got a good log, lol.

It also helps to know every mill in 6 counties that buys timber and know from day to day what they are paying, plus having a great relationship with the buyers.

The mill I sold those logs to is one of the biggest in the area, and I refused to sell logs to the field buyer, he never would give me as much as the guy in the mill yard.

Best Regards

Paul

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Great photos, GREAT story! Keep them coming.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeppers there son,you is a country boy.... Thats a tuff way to make a living, though it looks like you have pretty fair at it

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

Like I said that is all the pics I have right now that I can find, but maybe I will post some pics I took this summer while working on the backyard, but I will get more taken ASAP, but it will most likely be after my Heart surgery next week, all depends on how they do, how I do and how I feel when it is over and done with, and the weather of course, lol.

Yeppers there son,you is a country boy.... Thats a tuff way to make a living, though it looks like you have pretty fair at it
Hey Skeets,

Yea I am about as country as they come, I was born and raised the first few years in St. Louis, but we moved out of the city when I was like 8 I think.

Both of my granparents had farms, so spent alot of time with them, mostly during the summers.

We bought our farm about 50 miles south of the city 22 years ago, and couldn't be happier, our closest neighbor is .5 miles away, and we are surrounded by woods, and cow pastures, as a matter of fact I just ran to town to get my wife some medication and when I got back she said she watched a 6 point buck playing out in the yard while I was gone, doesn't get any better than that.

As for the logging, yea it is rough work, but if you enjoy being outside as much as I do it isn't all that bad, how does the old saying go...."If you find a job you love you will never work a day."

Best Regards

Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

Well since I am all out of machinery mod pics for the moment I thought I would post some of other things, they all fall under the "Mod" category at least, lol....Land Mods do count right?

Here are a few of our pond, we spent 1.5 years cutting all the timber out of the valley, then my son and I spent a whole summer working almost 24/7 digging out the clay and building the dam.

All we used was the 750 Ford backhoe and my buddies 3400 Ford industrial tractor.

Due to the draught the water level is pretty low.

We have it stocked with channel cat, large mouth bass, and hybrid bluegill.

From the white overflow pipe moving away to the far corner, then from that pipe running toward the head of the pond about half the length is where we dug most of the clay from, right in the far corner the water is usually around 40' deep.

The Missouri Department of Conversation was a really big help on this project, they did all the surveying, and then sent us a full set of drawings with all the information, dimensions, soil types required, compaction specs, keyway width and depth, everything we needed to build the dam, and it was all for free, they even told us how many acres of shed water would drain into it.

Enjoy

Paul

South 40

Equipment
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Hey Everyone,

Well I thought I would share some pics from a project I did over this past summer, our 18 year old Fire Chief wood furnace has served us really well in the barn, but I decided with fuel costs getting so high I would move it up to the house and put it inside a new shed and then I could heat the house with wood, (we have plenty for just the labor and chainsaw fuel).

This was a pretty big project when all combined, when I went to move the furnace I found out a broken waterline some years ago had soaked the stove and it was all but rusted out in a few places, soooooooo that ment a rebuild of the furnace, then we had one of the cheap 16' top air ring swimming pools from wally world for a couple of years, but when I went to set it up this year it was full of holes, so we figured we would buy a bigger/better one, but we are also wanting to add a deck out back, plus I had to have a level spot for the furnace when I got it repaired, solution: I decided to build the backyard up so when we put the new pool up the top of it would be level with the deck when we get around to bulding that, (rather than put the pool up and then have to raise it later), anyway I spent the summer raising and leveling the backyard, putting up a new 10x10 shed, and repairing the furnace.

I will start the pics with the furnace repair.

Starting with pics showing the rust damage.

This really surprised me when I found that the entire length of the firebox had split just above the factory weld.

After removing the legs, bottom plate and started cutting out the rusted sections.

Not one of my best looking welds, but it will hold up, lol.

I ended up using a grinder with a wire wheel on it to remove all the old paint and rust from the entire thing and then painted with high heat paint.

As the pictures progress you should be able to see how the rust goes away and the metal starts to shine a bit, lol

OK, that is all the pics I can put in this post, more to come!

Enjoy
Paul