Solar Electric Fencer

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I'm looking at getting a solar electric fencer to keep the bears off my side deck on the house. I see the electric power is measured in Joule. So I assume a fencer with a Joule power of .04 is way less then one that has a joule power of .10 joule.
I do have the power outlet close by so it doesn't have to be solar but our power here in Maine has doubled in price so I'd like to not plug it in if possible. BUT, if the house current for the charger will allow me to buy one that will burn the eyeballs right out of that sob if he gets on the wire then I'd go that route.
Any fencer advise is appreasited.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
deer slugs get them into your freezer.....

but yes, more Joules the better... most don't use a lot of energy, they 'pulse' and only use real energy when they 'zap' something.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Rubber Buckshot has worked for me. Sends them into the next county.
OH, up here that would only give the bear a reason to make you wear the gun as a tie!
If you shot one up here you better be shooting a BIG round!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm looking at getting a solar electric fencer to keep the bears off my side deck on the house. I see the electric power is measured in Joule. So I assume a fencer with a Joule power of .04 is way less then one that has a joule power of .10 joule.
I do have the power outlet close by so it doesn't have to be solar but our power here in Maine has doubled in price so I'd like to not plug it in if possible. BUT, if the house current for the charger will allow me to buy one that will burn the eyeballs right out of that sob if he gets on the wire then I'd go that route.
Plug in fencers have a lot more bang for the buck, and it will rebound quicker.
Most of the big solar chargers require a car battery to run them, so there is that cost.
Warning a pissed off bear, can be a really dangerous pissed off bear!
Your bears are a lot smaller then ours, the bears I've seen would floss with the hot wire!

This might work!

Sorry you wanted solar!

Last edited:

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.

absolutely... the higher the joule rating the strong the energizer.

the largest I have ever used was a PW (Power Wizard) 18 joule energizer good for about 250 MILES of fencing!!

google fencing energizer and you will find hundreds of sizes and options.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I use an A/C powered TSC charger rated for 50 miles. The output is ~2 joules. With barbed wire and 2-3 strands, it's enough to keep deer and other critters out of the garden. You might need more kick for bears. You will pay a premium for a solar charger.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Not sure if this is true or not 😉, but if you use a pistol for bear protection in Alaska they make you remove the front sight. Reason for this is when the bear jams it up your a$$ it won’t cause any damage. Makes sense to me

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have been using two Parmak Solar-Pak 6 models for over two years to deal with some hard headed cows, and I have had no problems. They are well made and fully self-contained (solar panel, electronics and battery). Parmak has been around for about 100 years, and their products are made in the USA.

For bears, you would need to step up to this:

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have been using two Parmak Solar-Pak 6 models for over two years to deal with some hard headed cows, and I have had no problems. They are well made and fully self-contained (solar panel, electronics and battery). Parmak has been around for about 100 years, and their products are made in the USA.

For bears, you would need to step up to this:
I was losing a hen a day to a coyote I just could not catch in the act so bought this Parmak solar 6 and a few hundred feet of poultry netting and have not lost a hen since.

Reactions: 1 users

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Not sure if this is true or not 😉, but if you use a pistol for bear protection in Alaska they make you remove the front sight. Reason for this is when the bear jams it up your a$$ it won’t cause any damage. Makes sense to me
Lol lol lol
I certainly do carry a 45 colt more then not when outside here. But I need the front site.

Reactions: 1 user

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Just ordered the parmak 12 solar charger above. I'll try it. I don't care if they roam around outside. But keep their distance and off the deck.

Reactions: 1 users

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Just ordered the parmak 12 solar charger above. I'll try it. I don't care if they roam around outside. But keep their distance and off the deck.
Make sure you ground it thoroughly - makes a big difference to effectiveness. And if you don't have a directional fence tester, I suggest you get one to confirm voltage and help with troubleshooting when you need it.

CAPT Seabee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L5460
Dec 28, 2022
Bonners Ferry ID
Excellent advice in here. The Parmak 12 is 3.1 joules, which is plenty according to AK F&G. Use 4-5 strands of high tensile steel wire with the top strand at 40 inches. Three ground rods for sure. I have a Solar 12 collecting dust as our short winter days runs the battery out along with the capacity reduced due to low temperature. I got mad at the situation and ran buried 120v out to the fence and put a Zareba 75 (4 joule) in and never looked back. BTW most plug in devices are not weatherproof, so I got creative and got an enclosure, T-post plate/mount and went from there. We have visiting horses, hence the braided top wire (ground) with the hot wire about 8 inches below. Any leaning has immediate response. If your soil conditions are poor for ground, you can add a ground rod or two around the perimeter and connect to a ground strand. You can even add a strobe out on the far side. Added benefit is deer do not like electricity. They sense the pulses and shy away.
Fence .jpeg
Fence 1.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I've used some 12 1/2 ga high tinsel wire for other purposes over the years but in a straight line. I want to have four "runs" of wire about 12" apart. But at the end of the run go 90* up 12" and head back across. My working with 12 gauge wire it quite stiff. Can it be spliced and just wrapped together and still be effective at carrying the current ?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I've used some 12 1/2 ga high tinsel wire for other purposes over the years but in a straight line. I want to have four "runs" of wire about 12" apart. But at the end of the run go 90* up 12" and head back across. My working with 12 gauge wire it quite stiff. Can it be spliced and just wrapped together and still be effective at carrying the current ?
If you really want a good connection I would use appropriately sized split bolts.

I don't know if any have had a lightning issue with electric fences but I have. A solar powered unit was literally blown apart by a strike. The solar box was about 50' from the house and all the low voltage cables on that side took a hit in the house.

For improving grounding for your ground rods I dig a 6-10" hole on the top of the ground around the rod. Then fill it with copper sulfate. A little water and you have a good ground.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I used aluminum wire. It is easier to work with, and you are relying on the electric shock not the strength of the wire to dissuade the animal.

I connected my chargers to one corner of each fence. The fence consists of 3 wires with handle clips on each end of the wire; I can drop and re-erect the entire fence in minutes. Each corner is connected vertically; thereby each individual wire is independent of the others. Cut or break a wire (other than the initial leads from the chargers) - the remaining wires are still live. With all of the twisted connections to the handles and the vertical runs, the fences operate without any issues.