So what is it? root cellar?, well?,

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Found this in the brush on my property. I knew there was 3 walls of a pier and beam foundation.... that I assumed was after house built to become a garage (1959 house) but maybe it predates the house?

somewhere nearby was formerly a Pay for Play lake... Im guessing a huge pond actually that folk could swim and fish in. It became houses... but became newer houses AFTER this acre was already settled. I think my spot was part of a farm.... probably last farm land in area surrounded by a city..... this acre, and few next to it, is hidden between two city suburb blocks. It is essentially land locked with an unofficial lane (never turned into legal deeded lane) access to it. I hope to try to rectify that since the old codure who owned all this acreage at one point passed and his last of the land (a house and sliver of land with the lane on it) was sold by heirs to one party... who is a neighbor I am friendly with.

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
another pic.... it has hinges on the right side. Lots of plastic pipe laying around hmmm.... did former owner try to pump it out to keep it dry... or was pipe there cause it was a well??

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
previous owner worked for the local city.

I found hole as I cut a road along edge of property to access the old house/garage spot to park my military truck etc. into.

Attachments

Last edited:

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Cesspool possibly?

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I'm going with SRG. Cespool/Ceptic system.

Found the attached on property across road from me the other day. Grave or cesspool?

Attachments

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
would a cesspool have a hinged wood cover? The hinges on the side.... hard to see unless you look close..... are small and would be for attaching a rather light piece of wood.... nothing too heavy.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
would a cesspool have a hinged wood cover? The hinges on the side.... hard to see unless you look close..... are small and would be for attaching a rather light piece of wood.... nothing too heavy.
little more research into "cesspool" ... which was basically as another mentioned a grey holding tank that required pumping out.... this seems to now have some credence.

SRG

Equipment
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
There was no real standard, to a cesspools design, it could be built any number of ways.

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Some on F.book are suggesting artesian well. How would I test to know if it was this or cesspool?

someone else said old outhouse.... can't discount that though

SRG

Equipment
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
If it's an outhouse pit, start digging around the bottom for old glass bottles and jars, and valuables.
Put the Scuba gear on:eek:

coachgeo

Equipment
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
so we have established logical options thank you so much....

Now how to test to see which might be the answer?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Spring Box/Dug well or cesspool/outhouse pit.

Oddly, pit construction can be similar but they work in reverse. Spring box or Dug well will be in a high groundwater spot, and you pump water out. Cesspool or outhouse would be in a low groundwater spot, and you put "water" :eek: in...:)

Given the high water, the black tubing for piping, and the apparent hinged top (they sometimes need screens cleaned, snakes and mice pulled out, etc.), I'm betting spring box or dug well.

In theory, someone would find a true groundwater "spring" seep and construct the box around it. Sometimes, there can be artesian pressure, which is confined groundwater under slight pressure that will make them overfill the box.

Truthfully, most I've seen over the years were really just a low/wet spot, they dug a hole and laid something up for a dug well.

I wouldn't drink the water out of any of them....:p

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Spring Box/Dug well or cesspool/outhouse pit.

Oddly, pit construction can be similar but they work in reverse. Spring box or Dug well will be in a high groundwater spot, and you pump water out. Cesspool or outhouse would be in a low groundwater spot, and you put "water" :eek: in...:)

Given the high water, the black tubing for piping, and the apparent hinged top (they sometimes need screens cleaned, snakes and mice pulled out, etc.), I'm betting spring box or dug well.

In theory, someone would find a true "spring" seep and construct the box around it. Truthfully, most I've seen over the years were really just a low/wet spot, they dug a hole and laid something up for a dug well.

I wouldn't drink the water out of any of them....:p
Get your 'Life Straw' out and take a sip.....lol

I don't think it's a well. Maybe a seep that was boxed in because most dug wells at least around here, southern Michigan are bricked, not blocked with cast concrete blocks. Get yourself a gas driven pump and suck it out and see.

I had a bricked dug well on out property, filled it in long ago. Around here you can drive a point and get water just about anywhere. Potable is the question.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
People rebuild them all the time. Seen 100's. True, some of the oldie's are brick. Also true with a driven point/well, shallow ground water is not likely good to drink.

Probably couldn't get a well driller into the area (no road), so had to improvise many decades ago....and maybe was rebuilt a time or two (concrete blocks)...just guessing.

Coach - - if it's on a hill or base of a hill, it's an attempt at a spring box.

If it's in a flat area, it's a dug well.

(Really same thing in effect, just trying to get proper terms)

Again, just guesses from the pictures.

Last edited:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
toss a pump in it and see if it fills back up

Bet it makes some water. They can get silted in, especially open like that.

I used to deal with a big brick one, maybe 12' diameter and 25' deep. Would make almost 200 gpm through 2 submersibles hung down in it.

Little baffled by the elevation...usually a dug well or spring box is brought a block or 2 above grade to avoid flooding, but I've also seen some pretty poor workmanship...maybe that's all the block the previous owner could get from the City he worked for?!?!?

Coach - does it have a concrete bottom you can see? If it does have a concrete bottom, can you see inlet (outlet) pipe or pipes in the sides, and what size? I see the block is parged up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Bet it makes some water. They can get silted in, especially open like that.

I used to deal with a big brick one, maybe 12’ diameter and 25’ deep. Would make almost 200 gpm through 2 submersibles hung down in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the property I just bought has a Spring Box well feeding the old house. Which is about 1000ft from the house. Installed a sallow well pump and boosted the pressure up to 55 psi, water is clean and clear. All old school technology.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Coach, if you have a joint of 1" PVC stick it down there to get a gauge of depth. You just never know, it might of been his bomb shelter to protect him from Russian attacks!