SnowBlower Operation per Manual

Whiskey Mike

Equipment
B2601 BX5455HD, RCK60-32,
Feb 16, 2022
Brewer, Maine
So this note is found in the Operators and Parts Manual Male Quick Hitch and subframe BX2751. (Although my hitch is the B2714c).

Does this note imply that I cannot (should not) lift the blower to lets say clear a curb as I'm blowing? . Or to take half a bite from a drift while moving etc... Come to a complete stop before moving the blower?

1667314329758.png

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd like to see 'figure 11 -..... bearings only' diagram

Seems to imply there's NO u-joints ( like a rear PTO shaft has ) ??? If that's true,moving the shaft up/down while spinning might damage 'something'... Again , I'd have to see what it is to decide why....
If it's true, it's also a bad design,poorly 'engineered'.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
They don't want you to wreck the drive mechanism since lifting it will put a lot of strain on the universal joints. The universal joint is part of #8 I believe.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yeah - I think DustyRusty has it.

That front driveshaft is very short - maybe 16" with the blower down. Even shorter when lifted.

Makes for some steep angles on the U-joints @ 2,000 RPM.

That said, I have put mine under load lifted occasionally. Try to be careful with it raised.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When I had my BX22 with a snowblower attached to it, I knew enough to not raise the full amount of travel just for this reason. When backing up, I would lift it about an inch or so I didn't ever stress the universals (which were more commonly known in the equipment industry as cross bearings- trivia from an old guy). I never had to replace a universal (cross-bearing) in the 18 years or so of ownership. I also made certain that they were always greased with the proper grease. Most times a bearing fails, it fails from lack of lubrication or abuse.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
curious, this is one of those 'have to see it ..to really understand it' deals for me.
IF it's OK to spin 'fully down' AND OK to spin 'fully up' AS well as any position in between, it's hard to see WHY the warning. Presumably the 'engineers' did their 'math' when designing the unit,as well as specifying which Ujoints to be used. As long as the ujoints are run witin spec of the 'angles', no harm can happen
I find it really,really hard to believe that every owner shuts off the blower,wait's for it to stop, adjust the height, then engage the blower....

I ran a Ford garden tractor, rear tine tiller for 2 decades, doing 1/2 ac plots, up/down/somewhere in between never had a mechanical failure. tiller probably goes higher/lower than a blower.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
It is the shortness of the shaft that causes the issue. The blower is most happy when the driveline is parallel to the ground. You are correct that you might have to see it in operation to understand the geometry of the driveline.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I know they make 'severe angle' Ujoints. Ones that work beyond the 'normal' range of 'normal' Ujoints.
The PTO shaft on my tiller goes further than a blower would and I raise/lower it all the time and never disengage the power...
it is curious.....

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
Here is my take on this issue. When lifting or lowering is done the shaft needs to slide. A splined shaft under load does not slide well. It puts pushing or pulling stress on bearings. I know of an instance where the operator had a rear mount snowblower on a tractor and was raising the blower under load. He actually pulled the pto shaft out of the tractor. Kind of a spendy repair as I think it destroyed the cast housing also.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
hmm, a properly designed unit won't need for the shaft to slide yet allow full power to be transmitted while moving. One example is the front axle of a 4WD pickup or even a FWD car. Since the center of the ujoint is in the center of rotation, no problem .
I suspect they didn't get it 'right' and have an 'interference' issue.

Whiskey Mike

Equipment
B2601 BX5455HD, RCK60-32,
Feb 16, 2022
Brewer, Maine
So I understand this correctly, there should be no load on the blower when raising or lowering OR in the fully raised position? So how would you attack a snowbank?

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
So this note is found in the Operators and Parts Manual Male Quick Hitch and subframe BX2751. (Although my hitch is the B2714c).

Does this note imply that I cannot (should not) lift the blower to lets say clear a curb as I'm blowing? . Or to take half a bite from a drift while moving etc... Come to a complete stop before moving the blower?

View attachment 89774
I run my B2650HSD with the B2782B 63" blower attached, which uses the B2714C quick hitch and subframe, like yours.
I've been blowin snow for 5 winters, and never ONCE did I even think about NOT using the raise/lower hydraulic cylinder throiugh its full up/down range under full power, and often frequently.
I keep the pto shaft ujoints and slip joint well greased, and so far there's no indication of a problem with the bearings, or anything else.
So I wouldn't worry about babying the raise/lower controls on your quickhitch. I've worked mine over its full range up and down while blowing heavy snowbanks under full power and it runs like new, still.
Plus in my blower manual there's zero mention of any care needed regarding up and down range of the hitch hydraulucs.
Just use it!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
While looking for snowblower pulley in the shop, came across the 3 decade old NOMA rider 4 wheel steering parts...
These are neat sub assemblies that bolt onto the rear frame,have ujoints with 1" keyed bores,over 180* of motion.that when mechanically coupled to the front steering, gave the NOMA 4 wheel steering. Ujoints have grease fittings,guess I thought I'd use them on a project ...one day. So that's the 3rd version of transmitting a large amount of power though a wide range of angles without using splined ,variable length shafts.

A neighbour dropped his PoulanPro snowblower that didn't blow snow.... turns out the drive pulley for the auger was 'split' ! Front half of the sheet metal 'pulley' had almost come off. I suspect him RAMMING the blower into the generous 'city supplied' snow may have contributed to the failure. Checked online ZERO pulleys available from 15 suppliers ,priced from $13 to $46.... hopefully the 4 TIG welds will keep it together.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I never read that “warning” about not raising and lowering with the auger turning…Do they mean RAISING AND LOWERING WHILE BLOWING SNOW (UNDER LOAD)?
Or just RAISING AND LOWERING WHILE NOT BLOWING SNOW with auger running?? I raise and lower my unit with the auger running and NOT WHILE BLOWING…
IS IT OKAY TO DO THAT?

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I never read that “warning” about not raising and lowering with the auger turning…Do they mean RAISING AND LOWERING WHILE BLOWING SNOW (UNDER LOAD)?
Or just RAISING AND LOWERING WHILE NOT BLOWING SNOW with auger running?? I raise and lower my unit with the auger running and NOT WHILE BLOWING…
IS IT OKAY TO DO THAT?
Like I mentioned, i run the mid-pto full rpm while blowing snow and raising/lowering the blower at the same time. For 5 winters now in S Manitoba. B2650HSD w/B2782B blower.
So in answer, with my setup, I regularly RAISE AND LOWER WHILE BLOWING SNOW (UNDER LOAD).

Last edited:

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Like I mentioned, i run the mid-pto full rpm while blowing snow and raising/lowering the blower at the same time. For 5 winters now in S Manitoba. B2650HSD w/B2782B blower.
So in answer, with my setup, I regularly RAISE AND LOWER WHILE BLOWING SNOW (UNDER LOAD).
My tractor is a Bx25d and I run the BX455HD blower. I probably have raised it while blowing but now I guess I’ll be more aware of it. When I mount the blower (soon) I’ll be checking what the driveline does while testing it out and raising and lowering it…curious as to how much up and down movement there is on the shaft/bearings on the quick hitch.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Mounted my quick hitch yesterday and was going to video the driveline as the blower is raised and lowered but couldn’t reach the loader stick while laying on the garage floor. Will have my wife raise and lower the blower after I mount it this afternoon and take a video of the driveline movement.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Mounted my quick hitch yesterday and was going to video the driveline as the blower is raised and lowered but couldn’t reach the loader stick while laying on the garage floor. Will have my wife raise and lower the blower after I mount it this afternoon and take a video of the driveline movement.
Well I got the snowblower mounted and working but not before a very frustrating situation trying to connect the blower shaft to the quick hitch shaft…I only put it together once last year when it was new and forgot the sequence of how to do it. Anyway, I was too sore and cold to video the driveline movement. Freakin Kubota connections suck.