Snow blower issue

Butch G

Equipment
LX2610, loader, and LX2980 blower
Jan 1, 2022
Eagle River, WI
I have a LX2610 with a LX2980 snow blower and it works great. My neighbor bought a L series with a L4469 blower and it sounds like a wood chipper. I live a block away and I can hear it when I’m in my garage. Dealer told him it’s fine, I disagree. Sounds like a bad bearing on the fan or in the gear box. Wondering if anyone has this blower and has any issues?

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I do not know this blower.

My experience with blowr noise usually turns out to be something slightly bent and rubbing as it rotates. The fan on its housing, the auger on the cutting edge, the auger chain drive rubbing, the pto shaft rubbing.

The reduction gear box is a real gear box not the chain drive found on smaller blowers. The main gear box is a bevel gear type not the worm gear style used on walk behind and light blowers. i.e. robust stuff!

To hear a bad bearing would be difficult over the engine noise and blower noise.

Rotating the blower by hand might reveal a lot.

Dave

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I had a totally different 2 stage blower on a lawn tractor that made a rattling noise but I couldn't find anything wrong when I rotated it by hand. One night after cleaning the driveway I looked up inside while it was running and I saw sparks around the impeller. Turns out the impeller hub was worn and the impeller was wobbling enough to rub the inside of the housing. Installed a new impeller and it was good to go.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
There's a chain drive on the L4469 that drives the auger sprocket. Over-loose or over tightened, or under lubed chains can be REALLY noisy.

Reactions: 1 user

dclauria

Equipment
Kubota L4060HSTC, L4479 snowblower, EA 60" grapple, LP GS2584, LP BB2572
Jan 1, 2022
Northern Michigan
I just purchased an L4060 with a L4469 snowblower 3 days ago.
First time trying out the snowblower, I raised it off the ground full height with the mid pto- snowblower engaged and it started rattling horribly... very loud inside the cab.
When I lower it, the noise goes away. So now I'm careful not to raise it to high.
I'm not sure what is causing the noise, but it still seems to work fine.
If anyone know which part of the drive shaft is likely to cause the noise, I would love to know

Butch G

Equipment
LX2610, loader, and LX2980 blower
Jan 1, 2022
Eagle River, WI
First time trying out the snowblower, I raised it off the ground full height with the mid pto- snowblower engaged and it started rattling horribly... very loud inside the cab.
When I lower it, the noise goes away. So now I'm careful not to raise it to high.
If anyone know which part of the drive shaft is likely to cause the noise, I would love to know
The blower that my neighbor has is noisy whenever he engages the pto. Sounds like a wood chipper! On your unit, is the fan housing painted orange around the impeller? I see on my neighbors the back of the housing is painted but the paint is completely gone around the impeller. If it was painted, then the impeller must be hitting the housing at times. This is the second winter on my blower and the paint is hardly scratched.

dclauria

Equipment
Kubota L4060HSTC, L4479 snowblower, EA 60" grapple, LP GS2584, LP BB2572
Jan 1, 2022
Northern Michigan
The blower that my neighbor has is noisy whenever he engages the pto. Sounds like a wood chipper! On your unit, is the fan housing painted orange around the impeller? I see on my neighbors the back of the housing is painted but the paint is completely gone around the impeller. If it was painted, then the impeller must be hitting the housing at times. This is the second winter on my blower and the paint is hardly scratched.
On my snowblower, which I bought used with the tractor, the paint on the circle around the impeller is completely gone, and the impeller itself is dinged up on the leading edge. I assume this is because of gravel being picked up and ground between the impeller and the metal around it. The impeller freely spins by hand without hitting the metal. The noise I referred to in an earlier post only occurs when I raise the snowblower more than about 6" while the PTO is engaged.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Does the PTO shaft shorten as the blower is raised? An incorrectly cut-too-long PTO shaft assembly could be bottoming out, and the resultant pressure and vibration will make noise. Also potentially damage something.
And if the PTO shaft is lengthening as you raise it, if cut too short and the shafts start to overlap insufficiently, then the shaft will likely shake and vibrate easily.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Check that your driveshaft is well lubricated where it slides when you raise and lower it. Pull it apart and grease or oil it up. My B2782B snowblower on my B2920 makes more noise when lifted up all the way.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Generally speaking U-joints shouldn't 'bend' more than 15* otherwise they'll wear out real fast, or break.
Are there grease fittings( Zerks) on the U-joints ? If so be sure to lube them and check for wear (looseness) often. The Ford LGT with tiller I had did NOT have zerks ,'permanently lubed' like cars today. I replaced them and it ran a LOT quieter and smoooother.