Smoothing out a field trail?

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
This may seem like an insignificant problem and in the big picture, it is. However, I regularly need to travel to the back side of my property and the pasture is rougher than I'd like ( brutally rough ). To my knowledge, there's never been a trail or road. All I want is a way to efficiently move back and forth. Currently, I slowly crawl along in the very rough terrain.

I have a L3130 with a bucket and a blade. I have access to a disc if that's a reasonable solution. Ideas?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes ! Disc will would very well. Set of say 'medium', and make several passes,then if you can, drag some chains or 'harrows' or old chain link fencing or steel beam to smooth and level the new 'roadway'. You should consider making it 'double wide',just to keep Mother Nature from reclaiming it too fast.

Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
After mowing, I’d use the blade angled. Don’t take off very much at a time and make multiple passes.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Why is the field so rough? Gulley, rocky, furrowing from farming, pot hole from tree removal?

I would suggest you start buying mulch in huge quantities and filling in the lower spots

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Why is the field so rough? Gulley, rocky, furrowing from farming, pot hole from tree removal?

I would suggest you start buying mulch in huge quantities and filling in the lower spots
The field actually is Class 2 soils which has been in pasture. Then, ignored for 20 years. Last year, I had a skid steer with a tree puller come in and clear it. This year I mowed it for the first time in decades it looks like the artillery practice range for the nearby Big Red 1.

Now that I have it mowed, I'll run around with my bucket a smooth out the larger divots but I'd still like a road / trail to come and go. I'll give the disc plan a shot.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Depending on how big the 'field' is and your plans for it, you might consider running the discs over the entire field. Running E-W, then N-S, 2-3 times over 1-2 weeks After that drag a heavy bar/chains to smooth it down even more. I needed to do that to a 1/4 acre patch(had been notilled for 3 decades...),now I can actually mow the patch. I can understand why farmers LOVE smoooth,flat fields !!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
The disking will help some but you may want to get a land plane to level it out. I think you would need some scarifiers To break up the soil at the same time with out having to disk. A box blade can also be used but may be slower.

I don’t recall how much soil the disk will move but it may work fine or you may have to move it with the bucket

The land plane is also good for road maintenance

Good luck and have fun

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I can relate. I mow ~2acres of old cow pasture (now it's my lawn) and it rattles my bones. Even after mowing it for 18yrs ! The first year or two that I was here I shoveled/skimmed some soil from the high spots, and some patches of grass from here and there and filled in the low spots.

It's still brutal, but less so now.

I know that doesn't exactly answer your question. Seems there are some bona-fide experts giving you good advice already.

May your road building go smoothly.