Smart guys

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I need to get things together of the B, so I started to call around. Now why is it I can get all the filters from a dealer across the state including shipping, than I can for the same items from the local dealer. I mean I like to get my money at home so to speak, but 30 bucks is a chunk of change for an old fart on a fixed income. And I dont even want to talk about the difference on Amazon,, So somebody splain it to me

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - - I've found my filters are about the same price locally. Retail is a whisker more, but I don't have the shipping expense..

Is your local guy more, including shipping from another dealer?

If so......deliver to my door....maybe your local guy will figure it out!

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My dealer is as good as mail order, too. No shipping, but I have to plan a trip to make it worth it.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yep even with shipping the guy on the other side of the state was 30 bucks cheaper

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Yep even with shipping the guy on the other side of the state was 30 bucks cheaper
I would tell the local dealer that you would be happy to buy from them for a competitive price (even the same price as the non local).

Otherwise, you do what you need to to get that product $30 cheaper...I sure would.

Reactions: 2 users

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
I would tell the local dealer that you would be happy to buy from them for a competitive price (even the same price as the non local).

Otherwise, you do what you need to to get that product $30 cheaper...I sure would.
Same here.

I know back in the day auto parts stores had price books with multiple columns for different types of customers. I used to occasionally tell some counter guy he’d better move over a couple columns if he wants to sell me a part.

i wouldn’t be surprised if tractor dealers aren’t the same way.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Last time I had to buy a small pile of stuff for scheduled maintenance I priced Messick’s, Coleman, Amazon, and my local dealer. Figured tax and shipping where applicable and the cost of fuel for the drive to the dealer. Over $100 of stuff in all and they were all within $5. Dealer was cheaper by a smidge. If local dealer was significantly high, I wouldn’t necessarily expect them to give me a special deal, but I would have told their parts manager because I kind of know him and would want him to know if they aren’t competitive.

Ideally, I prefer to support my dealer if practical. If I need something serious, hauling the tractor to Messick’s or Coleman probably isn’t going to work well. That said, I don’t consider the dealer a charity; they need to stay competitive if they want to sell parts.

Goz63

Equipment
Kubota L2501, LA525 loader, QH15,Land Pride RCR1860, BB2560, SGC0660, forks
Jun 19, 2021
Mississippi
Kinda off topic but I am finding now that some dealers are charging you shipping to THEIR store then you can drive there and pick it up. I have two Kubota dealers within 40 min of my house. One, the dealer I bought my tractor through, has a bucket load level indicator for $67 plus tax. The other has it for $75 AND they have to order it and I pay the shipping to their store which is $20. So $67 vs $95! Really!?! Different dealers have different priorities. Glad I bought with the dealer I did.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I had my local Kubota dealer quote me 20% higher on a Kubota generator than I can get it for shipped To my door. I would probably go with 5% but 15% of $5500 is a lot of diesel….

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
An independent online store (not selling through Amazon) should be less $$$ than a brick and mortar store. Their overhead is much less. The Amazon entity is almost always less $$.

I, like a lot of people, would prefer to buy locally so long as the local guy is 'in the ballpark' with pricing. Well what's 'in the ballpark'. We survey our customers every few years about a lot of things (customer service, pricing, delivery, etc). Our BEST customers will buy elsewhere when our price is 5% higher. Think about it. If you had 2 local dealers and one was selling SUDT for $95 and the other was $100 where would you go? Unless you had a personal relationship with the higher guy. . .

When the knowledge to use a product resides with the buyer its always about price. When the knowledge resides with the seller its never about price.

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I did speak to the parts guy, nothing he can do,, So I went to the web site and contacted them,, left my thoughts on the site ,, I doubt very much if they care, this is the same thing HD went through a big demand and its a take it or leave it attitude, and I found out the dealer just opend a NEW store.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
My dealer's prices on filters are below anything I have seen on the internet. I've bought my tractor, zero turn and a land leveler there. I know they ask my name to put in the system right off the bat. I wonder if there is a lower price for people who bought equipment from them?

I know when I was going to the Toyota dealership to buy parts, what I was paying was quite reasonable. I found out later, I was being given a discount. Why that was, I don't know. It reminds me of what Porcupine posted about the different price columns. They do not do that for me anymore. Perhaps the parts guy got in trouble.

Skeets, I doubt it, but ask them if they price match. Most likely they would say no. I do that at Tractor Supply all the time and they honor competitor's pricing.

Porcupine

Equipment
L2501
Jun 15, 2021
NC
An independent online store (not selling through Amazon) should be less $$$ than a brick and mortar store. Their overhead is much less. The Amazon entity is almost always less $$.

I, like a lot of people, would prefer to buy locally so long as the local guy is 'in the ballpark' with pricing. Well what's 'in the ballpark'. We survey our customers every few years about a lot of things (customer service, pricing, delivery, etc). Our BEST customers will buy elsewhere when our price is 5% higher. Think about it. If you had 2 local dealers and one was selling SUDT for $95 and the other was $100 where would you go? Unless you had a personal relationship with the higher guy. . .

When the knowledge to use a product resides with the buyer its always about price. When the knowledge resides with the seller its never about price.
I must be getting soft in my old age. ;)

My rule of thumb for “minor” purchases is to give 10-15% preference to a good local vendor. I’d like them to be able to stick around.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I need to get things together of the B, so I started to call around. Now why is it I can get all the filters from a dealer across the state including shipping, than I can for the same items from the local dealer. I mean I like to get my money at home so to speak, but 30 bucks is a chunk of change for an old fart on a fixed income. And I dont even want to talk about the difference on Amazon,, So somebody splain it to me
Frankly I do not even worry about it. I just order on line. ONLY because it is an hour and a half round trip to visit the closest dealer.

For fluids I buy them at the dealer, but that is only SUDT, and every year or so I seem to have a reason to pass by the dealer, so I stock up then...

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Kinda off topic but I am finding now that some dealers are charging you shipping to THEIR store then you can drive there and pick it up. I have two Kubota dealers within 40 min of my house. One, the dealer I bought my tractor through, has a bucket load level indicator for $67 plus tax. The other has it for $75 AND they have to order it and I pay the shipping to their store which is $20. So $67 vs $95! Really!?! Different dealers have different priorities. Glad I bought with the dealer I did.
Mine gets a stock shipment once a week. As long as you are ok with it going on that shipment there are no additional shipping charges.

Reactions: 1 user