small scale road building

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7001 with loader & tiller, 3 point hitch and 4' rear blade
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
I have an ex pasture area about 300 feet square on a mild to moderate slope. I want to build a set of gravel wheelchair paths up, down, across, and diagonally. The paths should be about 3 to 4 feet wide.

My 3 point hitch is on order (thanks Vic), so what kind of scraper or box blade would be available with a tilt control to allow 3 foot level cuts when the tractor is on the side hill? Is there another solution to this?

It would be so easy if the loader bucket had a tilt control.

There is a major farm auction coming up in October, and I would like to be ready in advance with specs and prices.

Thanks

Stuart

John C

Equipment
B7100D, LMC Clipper 400, LMC 4ft Box Blade, NorTrac 47" Tiller
Aug 14, 2009
Elizabethtown, KY
Stuart, Vic is correct as always, you will be able to tilt the blade with the adjustable side link. I built a road around the side of my house about 18 months ago using my B7100 with my 4ft box blade it was a fairly steep slope needing about a 26inch cut on the uphill side at the deepest point and was about 50ft long. with the side link adjusted for maximum tilt I could only cut about 2 inches at a time or less when the ground was not rock hard. It took me the better part of two days to get it the way I wanted. It cut fairly good when only the corner of the blade was cutting but the more of the blade that engaged the ground the less it would cut. When the ground got real hard I,d put the ripper teeth on and make a few passes to loosen things up then go back without teeth to scrape away material. With time, patientce, and the little tractor that could, it got done!

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Thanks John, that sounds perfect.

I located a 4' blade with 5 position angle and 3 position tilt for $300. Once the hitch arrives I can measure the amount of tilt it can provide. Too steep an angle of cut is not a problem, either we use more fill or have the path tilted slightky uphill. I will just have to see if this will provide enough for the slope I have.

I was considering running first the mower then the rototiller along each path to break up the sod, then I guess I make the paths the width of the tiller.

Stuart

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Just wanted to give an update and share some discoveries that might help other newcomers.

I picked up the 4' blade the other day, and after a few issues I think I have it working well.

With the angle and tilt adjustments, the lower link pins are quite high off the ground. This makes it difficult to raise the blade clear of the ground. I was able to help this somewhat by extending the top link, giving a less aggressive blade angle, which is also a good idea with a small tractor.
The blade has a width between the hitch pins of 24", within the limits of the kubota hitch, but it was very difficult to get the lower links wide enough to connect to the pins, even with the check chains (why do they still call them chains when they are actually rods?) at their shortest. Got past that, then there was inadequate clearance to the tires - second pic.

Solution was to reverse the hitch pins, so they point inwards. I will watch the check chains carefully, as they are pulling as well as pushing.

The adjustable lift rod provides enough of an angle on the blade. The tilt function is not really necessary on a small tractor.

1. The angle is steeper that would reasonably be needed - in fact you would have to adjust it back somewhat.

2. With the tilt and the low height of the lower links at maximum height, it is difficult to get the blade clear of the ground.

I think the tilt only adds an inch or two to the height of the hitch, so it probably does not have a significant negative impact. At the same time, I don't think it is worth paying extra for.

Stuart

stuart

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Aug 9, 2009
Aldergrove, BC, Canada
Thanks Vic.

I moved the implement pins inboard, moved the top link pin to the lowest position, and shortened the top link. I now have good clearance and adequate height - see pics.

With the blade tilted there amazing pulling power concentrated in a small area. I'll stand corrected on my previous post - the tilt is worthwhile, not necessarily for road building, but for other tasks like pulling blackberry roots.

I remember now from an earlier thread about moving the rear wheels outboard a bit. I'll try that and moving the brace if I need more clearance.

Attachments