Small Magnetic Battery-Powered Lights for Implements?

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I'll be using a power broom on the front of my B2601 for snow work. I've been thinking about lighting and I'm wondering if the best solution is to attach something to the broom - either a small spot on the top of the broom left and right, or a long narrow LED light across the top.

Considering that clearing snow is a seasonal and infrequent event, instead of having to deal with wires to the tractor, I'm wondering about just having magnetic battery-powered lights. This also gives me lights to stick onto other implements and things as needed. I guess a downside is that you can't control them from the seat.

Has anyone gone this route for lighting? Any rechargeable magnetic lights out there that work well for compact tractors? Strong magnet, maybe at least ~4 hours operating time?

Or is battery power just not a good idea? Is putting lights out on the broom itself not a good idea?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
IN
This seems like a good option. I may grab one, and a 2nd if it works out.
Don't care for the red and blue police-style blinking option. I'd be afraid of ever turning that on accidentally and getting in trouble. If anything, it would better to have a strobing orange light, but I don't really care for any strobing option at all for these.

Oct 24, 2019
IN

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You can probable get a SMV sign on metal at Tractor Supply or similar store. Get 3 magnets at Harbor Freight and put one in each corner. They have some round magnets with a hole in the center to anchor it. Attach the magnet to the SMV with short screws.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Batteries do NOT like the cold !!!! Whatever 'run time' rating listed for a light, cut at LEAST in half for 'cold' ( 32F) temps, even worse getting to -10,-20*F
Also there's a HUGE difference in the quality of batteries,so buying a KNOWN brand is important,with charts and tables for ACTUAL mahr vs temp is critical.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
Have you thought about using a good quality rechargeable light such as DeWalt or Milwaukee work lights? You could purchase a ceramic cup magnet to hold it on. they are basically a steel cup with magnet internally that usually will have a mounting hole that you can use a bolt through. Neodymium magnets are going to have the best holding force, but the larger ceramic ones have pretty impressive holding force. Pretty sure you can pick them up just about any hardware store or supply store, even Home Depot has them.

Whatever you use, try to find some very thin rubber, like a 1/16” or so to mount the strong magnets with. Place it between the magnet and the implement to give more “grip”. Magnets have a really strong pull away force, but they slide incredibly easy. The lights won’t want to stay in place once you introduce vibrations. The rubber will be clamped between the magnet and the implement making it much less prone to movement. But again, it needs to be very thin rubber.

Reactions: 1 user

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I's nice to have wired lights that come on with the flick of a switch and stay on till you're done with the work. No batteries to fool with and as much light in any direction as you need. Separate switches for different levels are useful.
IMG_5387.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Have you considered using an accessory plug that gives you 12V when needed? I have 2 I can use, one up front that hooks to the battery for my Battery Tender and the other back by the seat that I use for my light bar on my ROPS. The only pain there, depending on the implement in use would be running and securing the wiring harness
a3.jpg
Tender Port.jpg

forwardres

Jun 4, 2021
USA
Hi, I have two flagpoles in my yard, and of course, the flagpole grounding is also. The flagpole I have now is made of a corrugated steel ground sleeve with a steel lightning rod, which is designed to be used when installing Ground Set flagpoles. I also have a solar lantern for the flagpole. I installed it in the greenhouse, and it looks patriotic and very comfortable. I think it is the perfect finishing touch. I bought all of this at https://www.amazon.com/Flagpole-Energy-Battery-Illumunation-Vont/dp/B00YBDA7DC/.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Next thing I'm searching for is a magnetic SMV sign mount that I can stick onto whatever rear implement I want. Not finding anything, so maybe I have to put something together.
By the time they see the SMV sign, they have already run into your tractor or implement. Best to stay away from the roads at night, unless you have very bright warning lights.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
I got a like new set of magnetic base, right and left trailer lights for $5 at a garage sale..

Have been thinking of how to wire a 4 connector plug and blinker module to the tractor.. This would let me put the lights on ....fill in the blank... rear implement..

Being totally electrical challenged, I have not figured this out yet..

Ideas, details, experience with this ?? ??

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
4 pins are
White is ground
Brown are tailights
yeLlow is Left turn/brake
gReen is Right turn/brake

you connect yellow and green togther to give you '4 way' blinking