Small engine exhaust extension, how would you do it?

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
So I have 2 engines, ones a small honda in a pump house I built and ones by 10kw gas generator for my minihome that is setup in my shed. Having the door to the shed open in a blizzard or hurricane for the generator dosen't seem like a great idea. Other one is a water pump that needs to run early spring for the greenhouses so can't freeze.

So I did both the same way as the pump house one worked really well. Large hole with little metal pins to hold it in the center and silicone to seal the hole. Almost no heat transmission to the wood in the pump house one. In my shed I went a level further where the first part is the same but with a larger pipe and the actual exhaust floats in the center of that. So that was my solution what would you do?

Obviously I keep an eye on everything and generally it's better to have the shed door open if it's a power outage not during a big storm or somthing.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think I would try the Camco Gen-Turi system for RVs, and cut a round hole through the wall and put in a vent.

Last edited:

Ikc1990

Equipment
Kubota m125x, m9000, b2710, and other equiptment
Dec 2, 2020
Vermont
This is what I use in my pump houses and generator shacks for sugaring, cheap quick easy. I have siloced it in dryer vent I've put out side with old tractor flapper and steel rod for support. Used in garage working on small engines. It works good and is cheap

Attachments

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Look at the later model diesel pickup trucks. Look at their exhausts. You'll see how they work. BAsically the tip is large, but necks down. Where it's necked down, there's a pressure drop and a velocity increase--and that's where the actual exhaust pipe stops. In doing this, the exhaust gas exiting is cooled as well as the exhaust tip itself; both of which are important with DPF regeneration cycle because of the elevated temps.

This would work well, properly designed and built of course, for your situation.

I made one for a ZD series mower, he had a bagger on it and the exhaust points directly at the bags which are cloth. The exhaust was burning bags. So this guy asked me to make an elbow to fit to redirect the exhaust to the side. Exactly what I did-stated above-with an intercooled tip. After running full throttle for over an hour, you can touch the bolted-on elbow and it's hot to the touch but you aren't gonna get burnt. Works extremely well.