Slow Down the Boom Swing a BX25D BH

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Can the swing speed of a BH be adjusted/changed, perhaps by using a a restriction or something?
I do not want to lose any power and I've found it a little tricky from time to time that if I am not careful, the boom moves way too fast, causing violent shaking and the dropping of material from an over loaded bucket. If I use a very gentle touch on the lever, all is well and I can creep nice and slow. But a seconds lack of concentration and the boom is moving at 40mph.
I do not have a issue with the digger or extension or bucket scooping, just the boom swinging. Nor do I have a problem using the FEL.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
brother, I too have the same problem! Not sure if it can be adjusted - but one thing I always remember, anyone that is close to the ditch - I always think, left to right I do not have great control, even with an ease of joystick! Boom,dipper stick, bucket I can be smooth and careful - the pivot is a wee bit tricky at times!

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Very good question William. I have a L440 with the BH92. Same problem. I just lower the RPM to get by. This reduces power but it's better than hitting something in close quarters. I hope there is a better solution.

pacer

Equipment
BX25D
Oct 3, 2015
Greenwood La USA
Same here...

I recently bought my 25 and and still somewhat getting the 'feel' of the controls, which I am now feeling pretty comfortable with --- except for that rather 'robust' boom swing!!:eek: yikes!!

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My old B670 swings pretty fast also, and has "restrictor orifices" in a couple other hydraulic circuits. (see screen grab from the manual) I have it on my "to do" list to try to find or fabricate something similar for the swing circuit, but I've had bigger, angrier alligators to deal with lately.

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you can not get a factory restrictor plate, it's pretty easy to make one. The usually look like a dime with a small hole it it setting in the fitting that feed the cylinder needing restricted.

I've gone to the hydraulic shop and purchased a fitting that the hose will screw into. Take a wire welder and begin filling up the opening (restricting flow). I ended up with a hole about the dia. of a small paper clip wire. Tried it out, and it worked fine.

It was for the cylinder that let the disc mower down. I bought the mower with a broken frame by the gearbox. Called Vicon and talked to the service guy. He told right off why it was broken. Previous owner removed restrictor orfice and the slamming down of the mower caused the fracture.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
LOL, glad to see I am not alone here! If I am careful and barely push the lever, I can go real slow. But then again I am a dofus from time to time. No really, I am.:D

Slowing down the revs would work but, it is not something I am going to do just to swing the boom. It is easier to remember to 'be carefull'

Unless someone has a part number (Wolfman???) I'll speak to my dealer sometime. Hopefully it (if it exists) is something that is simple. I'd be comfortable to slow the speed at full throttle, full lever movement to about 1/2 of what it currently is. The speed would be fine and at partial movements of the lever, much more manageable.

Last edited:

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Looking forward to the resolution, as I am in the same position as the rest.

I just thought it was me and lack of experience, nice to see it might be more of a design feature from K.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
The problem with fixed flow restrictors is that you need to know the correct size. An adjustable flow control in each line would be easier to control. Something similar to these should work.
IN-LINE-FLOW-CONTROL

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
Last edited:

snpmorgan

Equipment
U25, B3300SU, RTV-X1140, LandPride and Kingcutter 3-pt attachments,
Dec 13, 2015
pensacola, fl
there is a high volume to swing cylinders for a very good reason. Lack of mechanical advantage(leverage). My fear in restricting this flow would be lack of performance with a heavy load. I may be wrong. Just my thoughts. Personally if bystanders are the issue I would lower the r's.

The adjustable flow valves sound like a reasonable idea too.

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Running lower rpms does not reduce power by any means whatsoever. It reduces pump speed. At idle it will make the same pressure, it just takes longer to get to max psi. So if swing is too fast it would be a good idea to lower rpms-just enough to make it manageable. Most of the small hoes like yours arent meant to be run at wot,540 pto speed is what the 3 point hoes are intended to run.
There are adjustable flow controls, would need 2.one for each direction. Regulates flow one way, check vave opens the other way. This way the return is not restricting flow.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
LOL, glad to see I am not alone here! If I am careful and barely push the lever, I can go real slow. But then again I am a dofus from time to time. No really, I am.:D

Slowing down the revs would work but, it is not something I am going to do just to swing the boom. It is easier to remember to 'be carefull'

Unless someone has a part number (Wolfman???) I'll speak to my dealer sometime. Hopefully it (if it exists) is something that is simple. I'd be comfortable to slow the speed at full throttle, full lever movement to about 1/2 of what it currently is. The speed would be fine and at partial movements of the lever, much more manageable.
I would do as others have said, if you can get to the lines that feed the swing cylinder ( either at the valve or at the cylinder) you can install a simple restrictor in the line to slow it down, you really only need one in one line as restricting the flow in or out will do the same thing.
Like others have said a dime, or any piece of metal with a very small hole (crazy small) will work perfectly.

And like mendosy said installing two of these (one in each line to the swing) would be real slick,
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydrau...NCE-WFC-400-IN-LINE-FLOW-CONTROL-9-7960-4.axd

Just a couple of fittings and your golden. ;)

Last edited:

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I would do as others have said, if you can get to the lines that feed the swing cylinder ( either at the valve or at the cylinder) you can install a simple restrictor in the line to slow it down, you really only need one in one line as restricting the flow in or out will do the same thing.
Like others have said a dime, or any piece of metal with a very small hole (crazy small) will work perfectly.

If you want to go real slick, install one of these on the line and you will be able to dial it right in:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUTEC-5000...453806?hash=item41a2fe5f6e:g:SLsAAOSwT~9WlSjC

Just a couple of fittings and your golden. ;)
Thanks.
Good to know it is that simple. I like the idea of being able to 'dial it in.' I'll just need to find the right spot to put it where I can install it, access it and also not damage it.

Thanks to to mendonsy for this link:
IN-LINE-FLOW-CONTROL

Looks like a little better finished valve for just a few dollars more.

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I'm not sure how your swing cylinders are set up, but I'm guessing that they are opposed cylinders. It might actually work better to install the flow controls so that they restrict the flow coming out of the cylinders back to the valve. The only difference is which way you install the flow control valves.

The theory behind doing it that way is that you always have full pressure against the swing and only restrict the speed at which it can move. That way you don't get into a condition where the boom could move faster if there is a load pushing against it.

Last edited:

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
Yes, any restrictions in the hydraulic circuit are going to generate heat. This is definitely something you need to be aware of.

Also ... Prince makes the flow controls in NPT pipe sizes from 1/4" to 1". You will need to get the appropriate size flow control and fittings depending on where you are going to install the flow control.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Just keep in mind a restricting the flow will increase the heat.
Yes, any restrictions in the hydraulic circuit are going to generate heat. This is definitely something you need to be aware of.

Also ... Prince makes the flow controls in NPT pipe sizes from 1/4" to 1". You will need to get the appropriate size flow control and fittings depending on where you are going to install the flow control.
Ok.... Makes sense. Now you hydra-braniacs, where do you think the valve should go and what one is the best 'fit'.
I am willing to pony up what it takes to make it a real nice install. Where would the valve be installed, I assume between one of the two lines to the swing cylinder?
I cannot imagine the heat will be a real issue compared to the heat that might result of partial operation of the lever to make it move slow as I do now.

Dreaming, I'd like to see a knob on the panel the levers are on that would let me adjust it 'on the fly', even if that meant some sort of electrical remote control/stepper motor rig or better still, a fluid driven system so no electrical connection needed.;)

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
I am not at all familiar with the BX25D hydraulic line configuration so I can only offer a couple of general suggestions:
1) Mount the flow valves where the are (reasonably) accessible but will be protected from any damage.
2) Mount the flow valves as close to the pressure source as you can. If you are restricting flow out of the cylinders mount them as close to the cylinder as you can. If you are restricting flow into the cylinders mount them as close to the valve as you can.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I am not at all familiar with the BX25D hydraulic line configuration so I can only offer a couple of general suggestions:
1) Mount the flow valves where the are (reasonably) accessible but will be protected from any damage.
2) Mount the flow valves as close to the pressure source as you can. If you are restricting flow out of the cylinders mount them as close to the cylinder as you can. If you are restricting flow into the cylinders mount them as close to the valve as you can.
Makes sense as to not over load the rubber lines but... the BX25D has a single cylinder. Does that mean I would need two valves, one for each direction? My slight bit of reading combined with my elderly comprehension told me that the restriction in the valve is a one way process, restricted one direction, free flowing another.
Also seems to me that the valves would ideally be installed on the outlets of the lever (control valve???):confused: