Slip clutch maintenance

davep

Equipment
LX2610SU, RCR1860, BB1260, QH10, CID HBHS, CID CTFF, WR Long RBG2
Jul 20, 2021
Virginia
Hi folks,

I have an RCR1860 with a slip clutch. There is a large shield around the slip clutch which makes it very difficult to service, even with the small cutouts on the side.
I’ve searched this forum, and it appears some people have removed the cover permanently. I don’t think I want to do that.
What have you folks found as the best way to service the clutch?

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
There is a large shield around the slip clutch which makes it very difficult to service, even with the small cutouts on the side.
I’ve searched this forum, and it appears some people have removed the cover permanently. I don’t think I want to do that.
Removed the cover permanently.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Leave the cover in place if you let your kids ride on the cutter while in use.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
While more cumbersome than not having a shield, you can certainly service/slip it with the shield in place. You simply have to rotate the item you need to reach to one of the access points. I opened both access ports to allow extra light into the housing, but I only used one access port to reach the bolts. I did it on cool sunny day in March in the morning, and this allowed sunlight to stream into the housing from a sun that was low in the sky. You could also do it late in the afternoon or use a flashlight.

Take your time; it took me about an hour to complete everything (from warming up the tractor then hooking up the cutter to putting everything away).

If I had to do it more often than once a year, I would consider removing the shield; however, personally I feel the shield is worth the extra effort yearly. Your equipment, your choice.

I doubt it would present much of a problem, but I do wonder how much debris/briars/sticks would be wrapped around the unshielded spinning slip clutch when you back into overgrown areas? I do this fairly often, but others may never do it.

Reactions: 1 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Been a couple recent post on this topic.

As I stated previously, for me, the shield is no more. I understand the purpose of the shield, but the design creates more frustration than it is worth. Since anytime that the mower is engaged, no one should be around the mower, the need for it to protect people is non-existent if you follow rule number one and that is have no one around the mower when the PTO is engaged.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Been a couple recent post on this topic.

As I stated previously, for me, the shield is no more. I understand the purpose of the shield, but the design creates more frustration than it is worth. Since anytime that the mower is engaged, no one should be around the mower, the need for it to protect people is non-existent if you follow rule number one and that is have no one around the mower when the PTO is engaged.
I agree. These kind of "protections" are there for people with no understanding of how equipment functions properly, but still own it.

We'd have to close down all law schools for at least 10 years to reduce the number of lawyers to reduce law suits, but the snowball has been rolling too long for much realistic change.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi folks,

I have an RCR1860 with a slip clutch. There is a large shield around the slip clutch which makes it very difficult to service, even with the small cutouts on the side.
The shield is lawyer repellant and is not needed.

Yes, the clutch can be slipped without removing the shield, but why?

davep

Equipment
Jul 20, 2021
Virginia
I understand the desire to remove it completely. My concern with doing that is that it also keeps water off the slip clutch, which would cause it seize up and need to be re-slipped in the first place. I guess if you keep it inside, it isn't a concern, but I keep mine outside.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
I understand the desire to remove it completely. My concern with doing that is that it also keeps water off the slip clutch, which would cause it seize up and need to be re-slipped in the first place. I guess if you keep it inside, it isn't a concern, but I keep mine outside.
Doesn't much matter if it's out side, it's going to absorb moisture either way. Directly rain or being stuck in the rain and the humidity. They just need slipped every now and then.

davep

Equipment
Jul 20, 2021
Virginia
Doesn't much matter if it's out side, it's going to absorb moisture either way. Directly rain or being stuck in the rain and the humidity. They just need slipped every now and then.
Yeah. I guess that’s also true. Going to need maintenance no matter what.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I can see a need for guards when bush hogging in tall weeds with hidden surprises and around low hanging evergreen branches.

Accidents happen. When they do it's in the blink of an eye and you can end up having a very bad day. At the end of the day we are all mortal...even if you are cleverer than the safety guards.

Did you see this post?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I can see a need for guards when bush hogging in tall weeds with hidden surprises and around low hanging evergreen branches.

Accidents happen. When they do it's in the blink of an eye and you can end up having a very bad day. At the end of the day we are all mortal...even if you are cleverer than the safety guards.

Did you see this post?
I wonder if the person had been maintaining the slip clutch? Theoretically, if the clutch was maintained, the bolt should not have had enough force to break. Yet, failure to maintain the clutch, you end up with one solid piece of metal.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I wonder if the person had been maintaining the slip clutch? Theoretically, if the clutch was maintained, the bolt should not have had enough force to break. Yet, failure to maintain the clutch, you end up with one solid piece of metal.
Few do.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa

Did you see this post?
The guard in question would have been ripped off if that happened anyway. Experienced similar with a Ferri flail mower, except it was the entire gear box that came off the side of the mower. Nearly shite myself. Fortunately I already had my hand on the pto lever because I heard a weird noise so I managed to shut it off family quickly, but not before the pto shaft separated.
Point it stuff can and will break, and no one should be near that pto when it or the tractor is in motion. Tin guards do little to stop something with 75hp behind it.