Sliding Rear tire back on B7100

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
As the title said, my rear tire as slid closer to the wheel well. It is actually rubbing on the wheel well with the edge of the rim. Probably slid in 1 to 1.25 inches.

I jacked it up and the wheel is tight on the shaft and I couldn't loosen the bolt (didn't spend much time with it as it was getting dark). What is the best way to slide it back into position? Take the wheel off the hub and put a big gear puller on it and get it to slide, bang on it with rubber/plastic mallet? Pry on something?

I just am short on time and don't want to waste any time I have.

Thanks,

Jay

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wow if I could only get mine to break loose.
I'm shocked that it just didn't tip over on you,:eek: the wheels all the way in on the B7100 is way to narrow for my liking!:p
There is supposed to be a pin in the hub that keeps it from doing that.:rolleyes:
I would try and get the bolt loose and then the hub will just slide right where you want it to go.
If that doesn't work then a couple pipe clamps wound work to pull it back out.;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think what both lsmurphy and I are saying is that you've either lost or broke the pin not the bolt, There are supposed to be both.
bolt tightens hub but the pin keeps it from moving side to side.
100 is the pin and 110 is the hair pin that holds the pin
80 is the bolt and on some there is also a nut too.

hub.JPG

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
There is a locating pin that you are missing (if it were there, the hub couldn't walk on the axle), and then there is the large bolt that clamps the hub to the axle. You will need to loosen that large bolt, and the hub/wheel will then slide where you want it. You will see numerous holes in the axle- you need to get two hardened pins (soft steel pins will just bend), put the hubs where you want them in conjuction with the holes in the hub and axle lining up, put the pin in and tighten the bolt. Alot- it takes a good bit of torque to keep the hub stationary. It would be even better if you upgrade to new hubs that are better designed, but they are pricey-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/H6640-17300...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item53edcaf5d8

They are much nicer, though. I put them on my tractor, and I am very pleased.

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
THanks for the picture. While I am not near the tractor (finishing my day up at school) I don't recall any hole in the hub for a pin to go through. I will have to give it another look at when I get home.

In my mind, that is how I expected the hub set up to be, I hope it is and I am just not remembering how it looked.

Thanks,

Jay

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
Well I figured out my problem with the hub. After I loosened the bolt, the hub and tire did come off. There was a homemade metal shim that made it really tight. I did a lot of shaking, wiggling and cursing, but it did come off.

About the pin, I never saw one on either tire. That is why they both looked "normal" and I never though anything different. I don't know what I was thinking. I found an early picture and there were no pins it the tires when I bought it either (just figured this out tonight) So for the past 8 months the tires were never pinned to the axle, just held on by the tight bolt and the metal shim. Wow, I am lucky!

Jay

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Well I figured out my problem with the hub. After I loosened the bolt, the hub and tire did come off. There was a homemade metal shim that made it really tight. I did a lot of shaking, wiggling and cursing, but it did come off.

About the pin, I never saw one on either tire. That is why they both looked "normal" and I never though anything different. I don't know what I was thinking. I found an early picture and there were no pins it the tires when I bought it either (just figured this out tonight) So for the past 8 months the tires were never pinned to the axle, just held on by the tight bolt and the metal shim. Wow, I am lucky!

Jay

Yeah you are lucky. You could have been seriously hurt if the wheel had walked off the axle.

jrslick

Jan 13, 2013
Clay Center, Kansas
I was able to finally mow the yard today and test out the new bolts and see if I could feel any differences. It felt much nicer. It didn't feel as "tippy" when I turned on the hills. I didn't pin them as wide as I could have, but much wider than they were.

After looking at the fender on the other side, a previous owner had let that one slide in too as there were grinding marks on the fender where the rim at rubbed. They were painted over with Kubota Orange, that is why I didn't notice them earlier.

Now I have learned my lesson and it won't ever happen again. Check the oil, check the fuel, check the wheel bolts, get on and start it up and get working.

Thanks for the help!

Jay

Morgan44

Jul 7, 2013
Walton KY USA
How far out did you extend your tires? I ask because I wanted to put mine all the way out to the last pin hole. When I tried that though, it just didn't seem right. There didn't seem to be enough "meat" of the axle sticking in the hub for my liking so I pushed them in to the next notch. Anyone put them all the way out? How did it do?

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
How far out did you extend your tires? I ask because I wanted to put mine all the way out to the last pin hole. When I tried that though, it just didn't seem right. There didn't seem to be enough "meat" of the axle sticking in the hub for my liking so I pushed them in to the next notch. Anyone put them all the way out? How did it do?

Take the hub off the wheel and turn the hub.

The hub can be mounted to the front of the wheel or the rear of the wheel......matters not.

EdF

Equipment
B7100HST
Apr 9, 2013
Jonestown, PA
This is just in time reading for me as I also broke an axle pin yesterday (B7100HST). When I replaced the pin I see a great deal of play (wiggle) between the hub and axle. I tightened the pinch bolt best I can but still have lots of play. Anybody know if play is normal? Should the pinch bolt make the hub tight on the axle?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea if your getting a lot of play between the axle and hub it's time to replace the hubs!;)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
When I got my B7100, the hubs had lots of play, because 1/2 of the clamp was bottoming out against the other half before it clamped on the axle. I removed them, milled more clearance where the two halves of the clamp meet, & replaced the pin with a bolt & locking nut. (sorry, can't remember the size, tractor is 150 miles from here) The bolt was either a 7/16" or the metric equivalent. Also removed that useless spring. No play at all now.

EdF

Equipment
B7100HST
Apr 9, 2013
Jonestown, PA
Just a follow-up on my previous post. Removed the wheels and tighted the clamp bolts to 120 foot pounds and no more wobble between the hub and axle. Will check again after a few hours of use.

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
Could be totally wrong with my memory, but I thought I read somewhere that there is supposed to be a bit of wobble, is this wrong? I have wobble on my b6000, in fact I just checked the other day to make sure there was a bit of wobble after I read that....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I read somewhere that there is supposed to be a bit of wobble, is this wrong?
This sounds like a case of:
"I read it on the internet so it must be true"
:rolleyes:

I can't think of any logical reason you would want or need "wobbly wheels"!
It's supposed to be the tires doing the flexing and moving not the hubs on the axles.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If the hubs move any, they are going to create more wear, which in turn will make them wobble even more.