Skid Steer digger on a L4701

Rickklem

Aug 3, 2020
Alabama
Earlier I ask about adding a Skid Steer fronthoe on a L4701 and I was advised not to. So I am still looking for ways to dig deeper that 6 inches with FEL.

Is anyone using a digger sometimes called a U Blade for a skid steer.

See image.

Attachments

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Earlier I ask about adding a Skid Steer fronthoe on a L4701 and I was advised not to. So I am still looking for ways to dig deeper that 6 inches with FEL.

Is anyone using a digger sometimes called a U Blade for a skid steer.

See image.
I don't have one, but for my uses I'd lean toward a stump bucket (if I had SSQA). I did use the forks (slide them both to the center) on an M7040 to dig out some caliche to install some 4" corrugated drain pipe. Not perfect but it was un-diggable with shovel and pick.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Why not get a pond scoop for the 3 point. Will do the same thing, most likely cheaper.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I agree the U blade or tree grubber attachment is not your answer to dig. I second the stump bucket option.

I have a heavy duty stump bucket I use on my MX5800 and track loader, for your tractor I would recommend the following:

It's weight is only 151 lbs.

Or you could also get away with the heavier model which is 470lbs. This is the model I have and it is good for digging on my MX5800, it is possible to dig a trench but is a little messy. The tractor loader does not have enough lift strength to use it as a heavy duty stump bucket but it will work great with your L4701 for helping you dig. Once I put this on my track loader it is possible to quickly remove many stumps. Remember these attachments are designed primarily for skid steers / track loaders.

I believe your loader is a LA765, it has a lift capacity at 500mm forward of the bucket pivot pin of 1263 lbs. Be careful how you use it so you do not damage the loader frame.

It comes down to how far down do you want to dig, what type of ground you are digging and your methodology of using the attachment. On a tractor loader I found the best method was a steep entry angle, roll it back and drive forward at the same time and scoop out dirt.

Good luck with your selection.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Not the same tractor but almost. You can see what he got into.

Rickklem

Aug 3, 2020
Alabama
Not the same tractor but almost. You can see what he got into.

That's cool. I really don't have a lot of large tree roots to remove, but I just wanted a way to dig into soft sandy soil. With that said if I do have a situation where I need to remove roots, I would like yo have the tools to do it. I will check out these ideas.

Hue

Equipment
Kubota L4060, box blade, stump bucket grapple, snowblower
May 17, 2019
New Brunswick Canada
That's cool. I really don't have a lot of large tree roots to remove, but I just wanted a way to dig into soft sandy soil. With that said if I do have a situation where I need to remove roots, I would like yo have the tools to do it. I will check out these ideas.
Hey, that's me in the L4060. I have the LA805 FEL, and the bucket weighs about 350 lbs if I remember correctly. I have used it for trenching as well. I was able to dig down around 2 1/2 feet no problem, which is all I needed. I have heavy clay soil, which helped with the stability of the trench. I could straddle the trench with the tractor without collapsing it. Let us know how you make out. Cheers,

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I fabbed up a ~30 inch scoop for digging small trees with the loader. I had an old piece of 1/4" mild steel plate I had bent to a curved U-shape on a press brake, cut into a pointed spade shape and sharpened the cutting edge. I welded it to a piece of 1/4 plate for the SSQA.

Works fine and does the job.

I'm not sure about the U blade design, I know it will work but it might put some funky angled loads on the SSQA plate causing it to banana if you overload it. It would need a beefy SSQA frame.