Site hijacked in a minor way?

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I am mentioning these things simply because I am not sure if this line of thinking, that chances are the issue is not local, is reasonable or not.
I understand your confusion. Of-course, under normal conditions folks do not inspect every URL. However, the OTT URLs on some folks computers are getting 'hijacked'.

If I were seeing this, I would pay close attention to URLs. At some point, I would expect to see the 'hijacked' one and DO NOT CLICK it. I would then use the 'inspect' feature of FireFox to start troubleshooting.

I have seen some nefarious things over the years. In this case, there may be a timer which waits for awhile...... and then 'hijacks' the links on the page (URLs) to send your browser to another website.

My wife once installed some kind of 'coupon helper' on computer. (she saw an ad on TV about it) It ended up showing advertizments every 20 minutes or so no matter what the website was. (again, using a timer between popups)

Questions for you:
  • Have you tried installing the "DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials" plugin?
  • What URL are you seeing when it gets 'hijacked'?

Another way to help troubleshoot would be to start your browser WITHOUT plugins. With fireFox, this is done simply by telling it to "restart without plugins" and then seeing if the problem is resolved. This would quickly tell you the issue is one of the browser plugins.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have experienced the same issues. I know it is a site issue, but I can't tell you exactly what it is that is causing this. I have my suspicions that it is related to the advertising pop up, and that they (the people that administer the advertising) have found a way to "infect" some of the icons on the website. I am not a conspiracy advocate, but I recognize nefarious actions when I encounter them. Turn off all advertising, and I will bet that it will go away, unless they have infected the basic Xenforo software.

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
The next time this happens could someone please capture two things for me:

1/ A screenshot of the page you get redirected to.
2/ The URL/address you are redirected to.

If you private message me these details I can dig in to see what might be going on here. Thanks!

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The next time this happens could someone please capture two things for me:

1/ A screenshot of the page you get redirected to.
2/ The URL/address you are redirected to.

If you private message me these details I can dig in to see what might be going on here. Thanks!
I was reading the next to last page of "Let them die", and when I click to read the last page, I was redirected to another site on a new tab of my computer. This is the only forum that this happens to me on a fairly regular basis. I do have dual monitors, but only use one for forum reading. The other isn't activated, but does show in the screen captures.
unsolicited pop up on OTT.jpg
What I was reading on OTT.jpg

Mr. K

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 14, 2009
www.orangetractortalks.com
Hmmm I'm going to need more to go on. The next time this happens, could someone capture a copy of the OTT page source for me and email it over (mrk@orangetractortalks). You can typically view page source by right clicking and then selecting page source. If you copy the contents of that into a text file and send it over that will help.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Personal computer running Windows 7 and using Microsoft Edge, no problem. Work computer running Windows 10 and using Chrome, big problem.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I was reading the next to last page of "Let them die", and when I click to read the last page, I was redirected to another site on a new tab of my computer. This is the only forum that this happens to me on a fairly regular basis. I do have dual monitors, but only use one for forum reading. The other isn't activated, but does show in the screen captures. View attachment 65267 View attachment 65268
For unknown reasons I have not been experiencing problems here for a while, for weeks actually. Not sure how long...or what I might have done locally to change anything. Still the same browser and same computer...Glad you were able to get a screen shot.

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Three times this evening I have been misdirected to another site when clicking on a forum reply. Twice it went to a commercial site selling something called Unicorn Spit and once to something else.

I cleared my cache, cookies, and history earlier today.

This only happens on Orange Tractor Talks.

I am using the Chrome browser and Duck, Duck, Go as my search engine.

Hope this helps a little with what is going on.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Three times this evening I have been misdirected to another site when clicking on a forum reply. Twice it went to a commercial site selling something called Unicorn Spit and once to something else.

I cleared my cache, cookies, and history earlier today.

This only happens on Orange Tractor Talks.

Hope this helps a little with what is going on.
At least it is consistent, I get the Unicorn Spit site many times. I spoke to a friend that is a tech at Staples, and he said that the add on advertising software might have the ability to compromise the site, and cause these type of problems.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
Using Duck, Duck, Go as search engine by itself is not enough.

Do you also have the "Duck Duck Go Privacy Essentials" plug-in added to your browser? This obfuscates your browser from servers which try to use HTML header details to learn your IP address.

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Using Duck, Duck, Go as search engine by itself is not enough.

Do you also have the "Duck Duck Go Privacy Essentials" plug-in added to your browser? This obfuscates your browser from servers which try to use HTML header details to learn your IP address.
My initial thought was that "Privacy Essentials" was definitely added. Double checking I found I had added it but somehow it had been disabled. it is suspicious to me how it got disabled without my knowledge.

ExT-six

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota L3901, LA525 loader, Land Pride RCF2760 mower, Land Pride RTA1266 tiller.
Sep 24, 2020
Fort Payne Alabama
Get the BRAVE web browser and ads won't be a problem.