Shutting Down

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
What's the preferred method of shutting down? Closing the throttle or pulling the decompression rod while idling?

kimandmike120

Equipment
L185DT - Scraper, FEL, Bush Hog
Feb 22, 2015
Rising Sun, MD
Well in my best opinion take the fuel away. From what I have always been told using the decompression cable is a no no. There should be a lever tied to throttle if its an older machine. With a diesel; no fuel = no run so find the fuel lever. You need to post what machine you have so the wonderful people here can help you.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
What's the preferred method of shutting down? Closing the throttle or pulling the decompression rod while idling?
Somewhere I read that pulling the decom rod is very bad for the engine.
CLOSE the throttle!:)

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Yep. The dealer who delivered my B6100D instructed me to use the decompression cable to stop it, which I did three or four times. Then I saw a NIW post freaking out over the valve damage that happens with regular use of decompression on a running diesel, and immediately found the hook in my throttle linkage that lets me cut off the fuel.

Please don't use decompression to stop a diesel except in dire emergencies!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Owner's manual say to make timely deposits into an account to have funds needed for repairs if you use decompression for shutting down engine in everyday use!!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yep. The dealer who delivered my B6100D instructed me to use the decompression cable to stop it, which I did three or four times. Then I saw a NIW post freaking out over the valve damage that happens with regular use of decompression on a running diesel, and immediately found the hook in my throttle linkage that lets me cut off the fuel.

Please don't use decompression to stop a diesel except in dire emergencies!
That's not a very bright dealer. They should know better :rolleyes: Course the two previous owners of mine were using the decompression lever to shut it down. I actually showed one of them the fuel shut down lever

Last edited:

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I didn't think it was a good idea to decompress for a shut-down, except in an emergency like a runaway. D2Cat, you had me laughing!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Owner's manual say to make timely deposits into an account to have funds needed for repairs if you use decompression for shutting down engine in everyday use!!
That stuff is written reaaaal small...........and in Japanese !!!!:eek::D

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
That stuff is written reaaaal small...........and in Japanese !!!!:eek::D
Dang!!! Perhaps I shouldn't have been gazing out the window watching the snow fall during Japanese lessons in kindergarten!:rolleyes:

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
That's not a very bright dealer. They should know better :rolleyes:
Yep! But I was ignorant and excited to get a really clean and good-condition Kubota with a Kubota FEL, so I thought the world of him for approximately 2 days, 9 hours after delivery.

However, I can easily overlook his shortcomings and forgive his larceny because of the advice, assistance, and education you guys and ladies have given me. (And appreciation for the folks on the other forums, MTF; WFM; & TBN, though my rewards have been far greater omn OTT than all the others combined.)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Shutting it down with decompression a handful of times will not cause an issue. Doing over time can leave unburned fuel in the cylinders that can turn into carbon build up or leak down into the oil and slowly thin out the oil (if there is any compression loss in the cylinder).

Use fuel starvation to shut down a diesel. That's how most are shut down these days. If the decompression system also shuts down the fuel system then it is okay to shut down with decompression. This isn't common on smaller engines though.

Tomcat

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Thanks all! I will continue shutdown via fuel starvation;)

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Must be good dealer/sellsman out here in OH. Both old Kubota's I've dealt with act like decompression lever has never been used. Both pulls were welded solid by rust from so little use.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
To my thinking, decompression on a small diesel is usually a cold weather starting booster, lets the engine hit higher RPM from a weaker battery. Not much use for one otherwise. (maybe as a safety feature in case of runaway?)

On larger diesels, many won't even turn over well without the decompression lever pulled, the starter can't fight the compression. You crank it over, get to max RPM and dump the lever to start compression and it usually starts right up. Of course, modern diesels do a lot of this stuff automatically now, you just push the button! Lazy! :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Here's what the owner's manual says for the B7100.

" Stopping
(1) Pull the throttle lever completely and hold it until the
engine stops .
(2) Turn the key switch off and draw the key out.
[CAUTION]
Although engine can be stopped by drawing the decompression
knob, this should never be done except in such
an emergency case that the engine cannot be stopped by
pulling the throttle lever . Especially, if the decompression
knob is drawn while the engine is running at high
speed, there is the danger that the valve seat may bite
dust or that the decompression device may develop
troubles . For this reason, be absolutely sure not to draw
the decompression knob when the engine is running
except in emergency cases .

I highlighted the text!

Here's the start info.

" Starting with Dull Battery or in Cold Weather
Perform the following procedure between the steps (6) and
(10) on Starting :
(1) Pull out the decompression knob.
(2) Depress the clutch pedal all the way and turn the key
switch to the start position .
(3) After the flywheel starts to run at full pitch in 3 to 5
seconds, push the decompression knob back. If necessary,
operate preheating before drawing the decompression
knob.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thank you for posting that, it made me laugh. I am in no position to make fun of someone's English having tried to get around in the grocery store in Japan with no more Japanese than "where is the ......, and excuse me, and thank you." But the valve seat biting dust was pretty funny.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
sheepfarmer, usually "biting the dust" refers to someone's death--I though!

I saw in your other post you mentioned your two horses being 3300#. Do you pull them around so when you get stuck you can hook them up to the truck to get you home?:D

I want to see pictures.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
D2, yes that is the meaning I usually use for x bit the dust, that's why it made me laugh, I suppose from old westerns, the bad guy was shot off his horse and "bit the dust".

I'll see what I can do for pics, one is 18 3 hands the other is only 16 3. The big guy was broke to drive a long time ago, but got too big for a combined driving team so I have him. A real sweetie.