Short oil filter LX3310 anyone know?

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
I have an oil cooler I want to install on and since it takes up about 2" the stock filter for my B2910, which is like 5.75" will be too long. Is there a shorter oil filter like 3- 3.5" that are used in tractors that have an oil cooler? I would think the LX3310 would hit pay dirt since it has an oil cooler and same engine, but it shows same part number as mine. I am not sure if the side covers are cut out for the longer filter or if they use a short filter.

Can someone chime in? I know it's a weird request. I can cross-ref both to a fram PH3593A that says it is 3.4" and I was hoping to just find a kubota filter same size.

Maybe if someone has a LX3310 could look?

Thanks

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Can't help on sizing the filter. I'm curious on what's to gain by adding an oil cooler? Are the taps in the block to attach the coolant lines?

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Wix makes good filters. They make most of the filters NAPA sells as well. I have no problem with Wix filters.

BUT.... a cross-reference usually is only a FITment reference. The actual filter performance can be Very Different than the performance specified by the machine mfr’r. A cross-referenced filter can be like a BOLT.... There may be a lot of different bolts that fit a hole... Grade 2... Grade 5.... Grade 8 .... It matters what the design purpose is. Does that bolt merely hold on a piece of decoration? Or does it work against “shear”? Or does it hold high “tension” loads accompanied by friction...??

The WIX 51334 (and it’s twin the NAPA 1334) are only 21-Micron filters. While that will certainly catch things large enough to have their part-numbers printed on them... it isn’t exactly a “fine” filter.

And what about the By-Pass valve? At what pressure does the Wix by-pass unfiltered oil back to the engine? What fluid Flow-Rate can it handle..?? ....and how does that compare to the OEM filter specifications?

Just sayin’..... there’s more to know than simply if it can be screwed onto the engine.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
Wix makes good filters. They make most of the filters NAPA sells as well. I have no problem with Wix filters.

BUT.... a cross-reference usually is only a FITment reference. The actual filter performance can be Very Different than the performance specified by the machine mfr’r. A cross-referenced filter can be like a BOLT.... There may be a lot of different bolts that fit a hole... Grade 2... Grade 5.... Grade 8 .... It matters what the design purpose is. Does that bolt merely hold on a piece of decoration? Or does it work against “shear”? Or does it hold high “tension” loads accompanied by friction...??

The WIX 51334 (and it’s twin the NAPA 1334) are only 21-Micron filters. While that will certainly catch things large enough to have their part-numbers printed on them... it isn’t exactly a “fine” filter.

And what about the By-Pass valve? At what pressure does the Wix by-pass unfiltered oil back to the engine? What fluid Flow-Rate can it handle..?? ....and how does that compare to the OEM filter specifications?

Just sayin’..... there’s more to know than simply if it can be screwed onto the engine.
Good reply!!!!!!!!!!

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.

You are correct, I should have used the Wix filter lookup as a Link Wix it has all of the information and specifications for the filters they mfg (See below). I pulled the trigger too quick on my lookup source.

My problem with Kubota and the dealers is they all say (Recommend) use genuine Kubota filters but you can't find any specifications for those filters. Kubota is not alone in not sharing specifications, John Deere, Kioti, Case, Subaru all do the same. Lubricants are the same story. It must be very profitable for Kubota and its Dealer network not to provide this information.
Companies like Wix, Baldwin, Donaldson etc. have tested the Kubota filters and guarantee what they sell meets or exceeds the MFG specifications.
In researching my response I found that Wix recommends 51307 for my new 4760. I think the tier 4 rating of the engine changed some of the ratings. It is also backward compatible for my non tier 4 equipment.

Page 2 of specifications.
Screenshot 2021-04-26 162137.png

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
1. To cool the oil. There are coolant lines/ports all ready there and I obtained an oil cooler that will fit for essentially free. I have done unspeakable things to my tractor and it puts out extra heat into the oil which I want to cool.
2. Thanks. The WIX referenced, x-ref's the Fram filter I came up, so that's should be the right size. Interesting that my wife drives a WRX STI and I looked at that filter and thought it was the right size.
3. This is why I was trying to get back to a Kubota filter. I don't think it's as big a deal as you are making of it in brand differences, but I prefer to use Kubota on my Kubota. The pressure relief valve is in the gear cover/assembly under the filter (and oil cooler). Not sure how any relief in the filter works. I am more concerned with it being able to filter and flow the correct volume of oil.

Thanks all for the help. I think I will go with what I have figured out.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
1. To cool the oil. There are coolant lines/ports all ready there and I obtained an oil cooler that will fit for essentially free. I have done unspeakable things to my tractor and it puts out extra heat into the oil which I want to cool.
2. Thanks. The WIX referenced, x-ref's the Fram filter I came up, so that's should be the right size. Interesting that my wife drives a WRX STI and I looked at that filter and thought it was the right size.
3. This is why I was trying to get back to a Kubota filter. I don't think it's as big a deal as you are making of it in brand differences, but I prefer to use Kubota on my Kubota. The pressure relief valve is in the gear cover/assembly under the filter (and oil cooler). Not sure how any relief in the filter works. I am more concerned with it being able to filter and flow the correct volume of oil.

Thanks all for the help. I think I will go with what I have figured out.
The engines’ oil press relief valve is a very different animal than an oil filters’ relief valve.
The Engine press relief valve spills any excess oil pressure back to the sump to prevent damage to oil seals, etc. An example as to how that might occur to any of our engines is... if a very cold day we cranked ‘er up and opened-up the throttle on congealed oil.... which could overpressure some components and blow-out seals. The engine oil press relief valve would spill that excess pressure into the sump to prevent that damage.
The Filter relief valve spills oil back to the engine only if the filter-media becomes clogged.... in order to prevent oil-starvation on the one-hand... and to prevent the filter-cannister from bursting on the other.

drewzee87t

Equipment
L45 TLB, B2910 Turbo
May 20, 2016
misery
Thanks. I think I will just get the one that directly cross references and not worry about it.