Shell rottella hd

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Can I use shell rotella hd in the trans of a l355ss?
As much as I like rotella oil....... I am going to say NO in your transmission. EDIT (looking up info - I stand/sit corrected!;))
That is an 8 speed geared...........

I would use Kubota UDT or :

1607264462253.png

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I disagree 100%. One of my M's has Chevron THF All weather Synthetic in the gearcase (14.5 gallons) and the other has Rotella HD in the gearcase (14.5 gallons). I did that to compare the 2 in real world application.

The Chevron is more expensive than the Kubota fluid and I've used it for years with no issues, in fact the flowability in sub freezing temps is excellent (I use it up here to move snow in the winter), however the Rotella HD also exhibits the same flowability in sub freezing temps and is a lot less expensive than the Chevron is (120 a pail versus 65 at TSC) and the Rotella HD is Kubota compatible (as listed on the pail).

So far, 2 years of farming and winter use, zero issues other than the Rotella is clear (like Kubota fluid) whereas the Chevron is orange so you can readily see the fluid level on the dipstick or sight glass, whichever you have.

If the tractor is a hydrostat, then I'd only use Kubota fluid, but a gear drive, don't matter. The only thing impacted on a gear drive unit as far as use would be the hydraulics because the hydraulics share the same fluid as the gearbox.

In a nutshell I disagree with your comment 100% (again, if it's a hydrostat I agree< but if it isn't, then I disagree.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I disagree 100%. One of my M's has Chevron THF All weather Synthetic in the gearcase (14.5 gallons) and the other has Rotella HD in the gearcase (14.5 gallons). I did that to compare the 2 in real world application.

The Chevron is more expensive than the Kubota fluid and I've used it for years with no issues, in fact the flowability in sub freezing temps is excellent (I use it up here to move snow in the winter), however the Rotella HD also exhibits the same flowability in sub freezing temps and is a lot less expensive than the Chevron is (120 a pail versus 65 at TSC) and the Rotella HD is Kubota compatible (as listed on the pail).

So far, 2 years of farming and winter use, zero issues other than the Rotella is clear (like Kubota fluid) whereas the Chevron is orange so you can readily see the fluid level on the dipstick or sight glass, whichever you have.

If the tractor is a hydrostat, then I'd only use Kubota fluid, but a gear drive, don't matter. The only thing impacted on a gear drive unit as far as use would be the hydraulics because the hydraulics share the same fluid as the gearbox.

In a nutshell I disagree with your comment 100% (again, if it's a hydrostat I agree< but if it isn't, then I disagree.
After looking up the "grade and type" of Rotella HD - I'll strike what I said ...........I'll agree with you Flip - THAT OIL is a tranny grade oil, as opposed to what I was thinking, normal "engine oil" - and yes that particular tractor is a geared one -

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
As much as I like rotella oil....... I am going to say NO in your transmission.
I disagree 100%. ...In a nutshell I disagree with your comment 100% (again, if it's a hydrostat I agree< but if it isn't, then I disagree.
...I'll strike what I said ...........I'll agree with you Flip -...
Sooo... did we AGREE to DISAGREE...? or did we DISAGREE to AGREE....?..and then end up AGREEING? :unsure:

🤣😅🤣

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Sooo... did we AGREE to DISAGREE...? or did we DISAGREE to AGREE....?..and then end up AGREEING? :unsure:

🤣😅🤣
I be a wroooooong - Flip had it right!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Not right, just a viable (and less expensive alternative). If it was a hydrostat I'd say no way Jose' on the shell fluid.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
nope you can't use hd rotella shell or whatever it's called because the internet says so and bob said it's garbage

run whatever you have the engine really doesn't care regardless of what self proclaimed experts say

engine oil is one of the most competitive market shares of auto parts just go to your local auto shack and look at all the brands. They all have some sort of marketing gimmick to make you buy it but honestly? $0.50/quart Fred's engine oil is about as good as the $5.00/qt stuff you buy at auto shack. Nobody believes me but just pick something and run it. Unless it's a specific built racing engine or motorcycle with a wet clutch it doesn't care.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
And I'll suggest something else. Around here the auto parts stores are NAPA and O Reilly. You can get the same brand, same weight, same color container...... for a lesser price at Walmart. I know one guy who work at the O Reilly's and buys his oil at Walmart.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
... Oil never wears out. It just gets loaded with contamination from by products of combustion and the anti-wear package will eventually dissipate .

Why diesel train locomotives NEVER change their oil unless there is a catastropic engine failure. The just add makeup oil to keep the crankcase full. Same with diesel powered ships. The oil in the sump is there for the life of the engine.

Roadway Trucking (now YRC) never changes the oil in their trucks either. The add fresh oil as needed to keep the crankcase full.

Ponder that for a while... 😀

retired farmer

Equipment
tractor, loader, cutter, blade
May 25, 2020
sheridan
Used to be an old TV add, where the Gomer looking character would say (motor ool is motor ool.

My daddy always bought the re-refined motor oil for the old Studabaker, it smoked with any oil. :sneaky:
I am different, use recommended spec oil myself.