SGC1060 OR WICKED 55

younker

Equipment
L2501
Jul 9, 2020
canada
I got a l2501. Looking at either of these grapples. The wicked is a little cheaper and alot lighter. Not really.comparing apple's to apples thou. Leaning toward the land pride but would like to hear some feedback from the sgc1060. Is it beefy? I will be removing roots and moving downed trees etc. The wicked 60 is more comparable but its alot more money then the land time I get it up north

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
D3C39611-F0BC-4884-B6C8-B384EBFDB87D.jpeg

EA root rake here 55” on a LX2610. Haven’t used it yet, waiting to install Summit 3rd function. But it is easy to move around by hand.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
I have the sgc1060, I've done lots with it. Seems beefy enough for what I've done. Probably the toughest was pulling a stump out of a hillside, used the top tines to rip out roots, then grabbed and yanked back and forth, rip more roots so on and so on. No problems with it so far. I do hear the wicked is a beast. Good luck with your choice

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
I recently bought a L6060 and was planning to buy the LP grapple but dealership sold it twice, lol. Glad they did for allowed me to relook at the LP. I bought the EA wicked 60 after taking more time to compare them. To me the LP looked to be a sold unit and I liked the metal on the back side and do think it may offer protection the EA does not. However the LP is made for pulling it backwards to pull roots out, look at the little teeth on the BACK of the bottom. Not a SSQA expert but I believe it is made more for pushing and not pulling. For ripping roots backing up means you may have to drive across them first but at least get the grapple past them. To me, that means either taking short pulls or driving across them. I don't care for either. However backing up would most likely prevent digging too deep with the lower teeth which I can do with the EA pushing it.

I am also able to slide or twist the EA grapple for hooking it up. One thing I don't like on it is the rounded design is not easy to set on the ground upright for unhooking and rehooking. It is round enough it must be braced or will roll forward or backward or does for me. I found best way is to open it fully and lay it face down before disconnecting it. May be looking for a way to add legs to keep it standing but this is not a deal stopper.

It is easy to use the top tines fully open rotate heavy to pull smaller roots and limbs into "wind rows" if you need to but for a serious root remove is done with the lower tines in push mode. It takes paying attention to the depth the grapple is when doing so as easier to be too deep, I don't find the bracing makes it ride out as is suggested in their video. However you should not be pushing at a fast speed anyhow. On my cab L6060 have handle piles of limbs from 1 inch to say 8 inches and logs over 12 inches with it. Do find with a grapple full you need to bump it closed a few times as you are moving as the load does some settling allowing the load to move, issue I have is the curl and 3rd function will not operate at same time but easy to get use to. That is not the grapple design issue, it is Kubota's 3rd function and maybe anyone's 3 rd function issue, not sure.

As to price, the EA for me was maybe $100 more due to buying LP with tractor but to me the LP looks to be well made I would buy the EA hands down again. Have enough belief in it told my baby sister they need to consider the EA for their 3000 JD and she said her neighbor told her the same and he uses one on his did some rock moving for them. She has rocks, we have mud holes...difference in hill land of Texas and low land of South Carolina.

I have no doubt if you decide to buy the LP you will be pleased with it, but believe you will find the EA is better design. Not sure on the LP now but the teeth on the EA do not line up with the top and bottom, that allows them to pass each other to tighten better than the grapples whose teeth do line up with each other. Of course that means you can not pinch a small limb or board between them but it does mean you have tighten on a dozen of them which is more common.
Regardless what grapple you decide on, if working with limbs or such you need a grill cover for your tractor. I considered expanded metal in the back of my EA and talked with them on why they don't offer it and told me it would fill with small debris blocking your view, I agreed with their thoughts and built a grill guard.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
....However the LP is made for pulling it backwards to pull roots out, look at the little teeth on the BACK of the bottom. Not a SSQA expert but I believe it is made more for pushing and not pulling. For ripping roots backing up means you may have to drive across them first but at least get the grapple past them. To me, that means either taking short pulls or driving across them. I don't care for either. However backing up would most likely prevent digging too deep with the lower teeth which I can do with the EA pushing it....
The "little teeth on the back of the bottom" are there to allow you to stand the grapple upright when you disconnect. Basically, they are built in parking stands. Which would fix the problem you said you had with the wicked grapple.

I have the LP and it is constructed well. AR400 material and if I remember correctly, the tines are thicker and the spacing is closer on the tines (more tines). Mine has gotten some hard use with no problems. I was looking at EA's root grapple as well, and ended up getting the LP because it was a little heavier duty (better in some ways or at least equivalent on others) plus it was cheaper with no wait time (one week to ship a new one to dealer). EA delivery would have been 8-12 weeks at that time. I've never regretted my decision.

Also, as was already mentioned, the LP grapple is more enclosed along the back to keep things from poking through to your grill. I think this is a positive that gets overlooked through all the marketing hype.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I like the EA unit, however they had a 6 week lead time when I wanted one. My dealer had a LP unit in stock. I was able to work/pay for the LP before the Wicked would have showed up.

I do like the built in kick stands on the LP unit.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I'm a big fan of the Wicked 55" grapple. Although as pointed out, you will most likely be happy with any grapple you buy.
Resized_20200307_072409.jpg
Resized_20200222_110719.jpeg
Resized_20191227_121534.jpg
Resized_20191221_120549.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
When I finally get one, I'll get the LP, because I can get it in a 48 with SSQA. I'd have to go to a 55 with EA, and it is significantly heavier, which is very important on the BX. The LP unit is only 24 pounds heavier than the standard bucket.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I added the Summit 3rd function valve kit to an L3301 and the install went really well with the help of their excellent customer service folks. The parts initially sent in the kit hadn’t taken into consideration my BH77 backhoe but they quickly sent me what was needed to make it all work. And it continues to work really well.

4BA67BAF-F6AF-4C18-B1FA-1F4FE4C9C80A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Thanks guys for the insights. Anyone use summit hydraulics for there 3rd function?
I added the Summit kit to my B2650: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...it-install-on-kubota-b2650.44616/#post-385837

Edit: To make it work along with my BH77 I had to make one bracket mounted fitting, which wasn't difficult. I also fabricated a dual hose clamp for the loader hoses that worked quite nicely. If anybody is interested in that style clamp, I could make some more.

david

Last edited:

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
Did I misrepresent the LP grapple? As to spacing of the tines I imagine for one job the narrow spacing is better and for another the wider is. The wider spacing on my EA works fine for me for I am not worrying about most things that fall through them. Of course once in a while a piece will be in align with the tines and fall through. Can you rake with the LP going forward or must as I was told do so backing up?

I have nothing against the LP, for my situation and needs believe the EA is better option plus in my case the EA was to me quicker than a LP would be.

magnum63

Equipment
bx 2380
Dec 29, 2019
NC
When I finally get one, I'll get the LP, because I can get it in a 48 with SSQA. I'd have to go to a 55 with EA, and it is significantly heavier, which is very important on the BX. The LP unit is only 24 pounds heavier than the standard bucket.
Are you sure about the Land Pride in 48 inch with the SSQA, I think you have to go to the 54 inch for the SSQA.I believe the 48 inch is for pin on or other type connection.Might want to make sure.

Mechanical Type

Equipment
Mx5200 8' scrape, 7'Box, 6' hog, Grapple, forks
May 17, 2020
Country Living
I have the sgc1072 and I choose it because it was only 450lbs but 72" wide. I use mine for brush cleaning pulling and clearing.

PapaJ

Equipment
BX2680 - PFL1242 - RCK54 MMM - Fimco 3PH Sprayer - Trailer Mover
Apr 28, 2020
VA
Are you sure about the Land Pride in 48 inch with the SSQA, I think you have to go to the 54 inch for the SSQA.I believe the 48 inch is for pin on or other type connection.Might want to make sure.
Good call. The 48 for the 80 series BX is pin on only. Looks like I either need to modify one to an SSQA plate or not get one. I really think the larger ones are far too heavy to be useful, and for the price, I am not willing to risk it. Likely will never get a grapple unless I can find a 48 in SSQA.

Edit: Doing the math, the EA 55 is 107 pounds heavier than the bucket, so for moving brush it'd probably be great. Not in the cards right now anyway, maybe I can order in the winter to have for next spring.

Last edited:

magnum63

Equipment
bx 2380
Dec 29, 2019
NC
I think I read somewhere that the 54 inch LP weighs in around the 200 pound mark.I believe they had to go 54 inch because of the width of the SSQA mount vs the pin on type.I'm not a fabricator but I think by the time you redo the mount to work on a 48 inch you might be close in weight to the 54 inch.The BX is limited in lift as we know but I would think for its design the 54 inch LP grapple would do what you want.If not you would probably need a bigger tractor anyway.