setting grades on gravel driveway

claya1

Equipment
Kubota
Sep 24, 2021
sacramento
I am adding a P-shaped turnaround at the end of our driveway. The turnaround is at the low point on our property, but re-connects at NOT the lowest point of the existing gravel driveway.

I added a culvert across the turnaround at the low point.

The neighbors property is 3' higher at our driveway, so all the runoff goes down a ditch to a driveway culvert. And there is a 6' grade difference from both ends of the drive, and the turnaround.

How do I grade the turnaround, and does the reconnection point need to be the same elevation as the existing driveway?

Do I need to cut a ditch on the high side of the turnaround to the new culvert? Does the turnaround need to be graded so any runoff goes to the low side?

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am adding a P-shaped turnaround at the end of our driveway. The turnaround is at the low point on our property, but re-connects at NOT the lowest point of the existing gravel driveway.

I added a culvert across the turnaround at the low point.

The neighbors property is 3' higher at our driveway, so all the runoff goes down a ditch to a driveway culvert. And there is a 6' grade difference from both ends of the drive, and the turnaround.

How do I grade the turnaround, and does the reconnection point need to be the same elevation as the existing driveway?

Do I need to cut a ditch on the high side of the turnaround to the new culvert? Does the turnaround need to be graded so any runoff goes to the low side?
Difficult to offer advice without visual supporting information.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
agree...a picture (or rough drawing) is worth 10,000 word !
neighbour has what I think is very similar to your description, but a pencil sketch with elevations would really,really help !

I do KNOW that the 'P' IS a PITA to snowplow due to the 'funny' angles invloved but it's been there since the 40's.....

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Post a couple pic's and yes a drawling of what you want to do helps a lot!