Service life of hydraulic hoses

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
So, how long do hydraulic hoses last? I’ve got 300 hours on my L3800. My tractor stays out of the weather and my hoses aren’t showing any wear. Will they last another 10 years? My time is limited these days and I’ve thought how a ruptured hose would ruin a weekend at the camp.

Edke6bnl

Equipment
B7800 Kubota, case 1840 Skidsteer Ford 3500
Mar 31, 2022
Agua Dulce, California
just picked up a B7800 1500 hrs sitting outside for the last 6 years hoses look not so perfect but no leaks. Just got rid of a 1969 Ford3500 that I had outside for about 30 years had one hose go out on me. But I have herd the newer hoses do not take the abuse the old ones did.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You hit the nail on the head......... if kept inside, they will last a good while - outside, the sun will break down the rubber much quicker.

AS for lifespan, that is hard to pinpoint. Personally I would not change unless an obvious problem.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
On my last tractor I replaced one hose at 10 years and about 750 hours. I replaced another hose at 20 years and 1200 hours. Run them until they leak.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
So, how long do hydraulic hoses last? I’ve got 300 hours on my L3800. My tractor stays out of the weather and my hoses aren’t showing any wear. Will they last another 10 years? My time is limited these days and I’ve thought how a ruptured hose would ruin a weekend at the camp.
Ten years is not a lot. Twenty and things get sketchy. Hydraulic hoses don't usually fail without warning. When the cover starts to show cracks its telling you its time.

If you are worried about failures at an inopportune time and want to be proactive figure a 15-20 year service life.

Dan

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
Thinking about the same thing after hooking and breaking a stabilizer hose on my backhoe last year. I then looked over loader hoses and ordered one of the longest ones with fittings in common with others. Wound up with 3 hoses and some fittings that should get me out of a jam until I could get the proper one. My fear was breaking one and not being able to get back to the garage or finish something that day. Have my emergency fittings and will add to it as time goes on. Just like spare filters and fluids to me.

Bill

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
My L35 hoses lasted about 16 years and 2000 hrs. Judging by the paint, seat etc. I'd say it spent time unsheltered. Heat, sunlight and wear are the big enemies. Keep protective sleeve on all wear points.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thinking about the same thing after hooking and breaking a stabilizer hose on my backhoe last year. I then looked over loader hoses and ordered one of the longest ones with fittings in common with others. Wound up with 3 hoses and some fittings that should get me out of a jam until I could get the proper one. My fear was breaking one and not being able to get back to the garage or finish something that day. Have my emergency fittings and will add to it as time goes on. Just like spare filters and fluids to me.

Bill
I was going to suggest a similar approach. You could keep re-usable fittings and hose on hand and make a replacement hose assembly to fit when necessary.

Tioga Tim

Equipment
B2620
Nov 11, 2020
Upstate New York
I don't think the hoses on my wood splitter have ever been replaced, and dad built it around 1980. It sits outside all the time, but is covered with an old plywood box. I bet the old ones are much heavier than the new ones, and probably ag duty hoses heavier than compact tractor hoses.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
My L35 hoses lasted about 16 years and 2000 hrs. Judging by the paint, seat etc. I'd say it spent time unsheltered. Heat, sunlight and wear are the big enemies. Keep protective sleeve on all wear points.
I have a 1985ish B7200 with B1630 loader sitting outside where it has lived most of its life. The original hoses finally began to fail (rupture) about five years ago so they lasted roughly 30 years. When they started failing it was like a plaque - one right after the other. Having a couple hot spares AND port fittings on hand is never a bad idea. Working in the woods I have snagged more than one taking the hose and fitting out in one fell swoop.

Dan

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
My M4700 was first delivered in 1996 and has been stored indoors (reportedly by former owner and its’ condition/appearance seems to agree) and it now has a little over 600 hrs. The hoses look good, no leaks, no cracks, still very flexible.

My mid 1980s compactor/roller has it’s original hoses* and it has lived a rough life with the Tx DOT and then a couple of uncaring owners before me. My grandson left the hyd-brakes locked and determined to move the HST lever to full-forward regardless….the diesel engine strained, the hydraulics screamed… and an original 1980s hose burst and 15-20 gals of hyd-oil blew out onto the ground.
* I replaced that one hose and the other 7 or 9 35+ year-old hoses are still original…look dry and old but no cracks, no leaks and no intention by me to replace them.

Consider how hyd hoses are constructed. Similar to tires….They have an inner, synthetic-rubber liner, a braided main-structure (usually steel wires for strength but some low pressure hoses use a synthetic/polyester fabric) and then the outer sheath which is visible to the eye is merely a protective cover. Sun and mechanical damage to that outer cover will allow damage to proceed to the braid and once the braid weakens the inner-liner is no longer supported and will blow.

Sharp bends and physical pinching/kinking or stretching will damage the braid and reduce the support for the inner liner and then the hose will fail under pressure. Heat is also their enemy but most of the hoses on a tractor are not confined inside heated areas. Ozone/sunlight will damage them just like it will tires.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a hose give up on my trencher a couple of years ago while helping a neighbor. It was on the left stabilizer while I was moving the machine (with the stabilizers up). The homeowner made a quick dash to do something (I'm not sure what) to stop the spray of oil.

As I saw him moving towards the leak I yelled at him and shut down the engine. I then very plainly gave him a work picture of what hydraulic fluid under pressure will do to a human's skin. He was totally unaware until then.

If you own hydraulic equipment learn about hydraulic pressure and it's dangers so you can be safe during a leak.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I had a hose give up on my trencher a couple of years ago while helping a neighbor. It was on the left stabilizer while I was moving the machine (with the stabilizers up). The homeowner made a quick dash to do something (I'm not sure what) to stop the spray of oil.

As I saw him moving towards the leak I yelled at him and shut down the engine. I then very plainly gave him a work picture of what hydraulic fluid under pressure will do to a human's skin. He was totally unaware until then.

If you own hydraulic equipment learn about hydraulic pressure and it's dangers so you can be safe during a leak.
Yeah, that's a good reason to sleeve exposed hoses completely, not just the wear points.