Serial Number ID

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Can anyone help me determine the year of my tractor? Its an L4400HST and the 'tractor' (not engine) serial number is L4400D84458. From what I can tell online I believe it is a 2008. However, from what I am reading it appears there should be a letter, not number, after the 8 for the month.

I know they were built between 2004-10 from what I understand. Just wanting to know.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The serial number will not tell you the year.
The year of the tractor is the year it was first sold.
There is really no easy way to tell when the tractor was manufactured either.
One way is look for a tag on the valve cover (if equipped), it will sometime tell you the manufacture date.

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
The serial number will not tell you the year.
The year of the tractor is the year it was first sold.
There is really no easy way to tell when the tractor was manufactured either.
One way is look for a tag on the valve cover (if equipped), it will sometime tell you the manufacture date.
Thank you for the reply. I will try to figure it out that way. Doesn't really matter but curious since it was made for over 6 years.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Can anyone help me determine the year of my tractor? Its an L4400HST and the 'tractor' (not engine) serial number is L4400D84458. From what I can tell online I believe it is a 2008. However, from what I am reading it appears there should be a letter, not number, after the 8 for the month.

I know they were built between 2004-10 from what I understand. Just wanting to know.
I'm pretty sure Kubota would know the minute that serial number left the factory. Probably who did the final QC and brought it outside as well. Maybe your dealer could find out for you.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
This question comes up a lot. Kubota serial numbers are sequential, there is no "code" involved.
You can
e-mail Kubota customer service. They have given me the manufacture date and the name of the original selling dealer when I inquired.

Ask a cooperative Kubota dealer dealer to get the information for you.

Go to used tractor sales sites that publish serial number and age of tractors they are selling. That will get you "into the ball park".

Unlike automobiles, tractors are "aged" based on when the original dealer sold the tractor. I have caught more than one used tractor dealer in a lie when I knew the correct date of first sale or manufacture. Handy information to have when buying used from a dealer. One dealer was shaving two years off a tractors age in an ad. When I asked him about it the answer was "I dunno, that is what I was told". You know the saying,
LET THE BUYER BEWARE

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I was wondering about my new BX that I just got.. none of the paperwork showed the year of the tractor so I wasn’t sure if I got a 19 or 20. I was looking around thinking maybe the serial # would show but it made no sense from what I read how to determine the year. That’s when I found the metal tag with serial #s on the motor showing emissions for 2020. May not mean much.,🤷🏽

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I was wondering about my new BX that I just got.. none of the paperwork showed the year of the tractor so I wasn’t sure if I got a 19 or 20. I was looking around thinking maybe the serial # would show but it made no sense from what I read how to determine the year. That’s when I found the metal tag with serial #s on the motor showing emissions for 2020. May not mean much.,
Just FYI there is not way to determine the date of the tractor. HOWEVER, you can determine the date the engine was built, which will give you a good idea of the 'year' of your tractor.

In the manual it will show you where to find the engine serial number. Once you have that go here:

This will decode the number. Your looking at the numbers/letters after the dash.

Reactions: 1 user

Roosters2250

Equipment
L2250
Dec 19, 2020
Reedley, California
Just FYI there is not way to determine the date of the tractor. HOWEVER, you can determine the date the engine was built, which will give you a good idea of the 'year' of your tractor.

In the manual it will show you where to find the engine serial number. Once you have that go here:

This will decode the number. Your looking at the numbers/letters after the dash.
Question, what about the transmission vin plate? Would this also have the year information?

aaluck

Equipment
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Question, what about the transmission vin plate? Would this also have the year information?
Not sure about that. The only way I have figured is the engine. That's the only serial numbers I see on their site that identifies a year.