Screwed the pooch....

Atlanta Panther

Equipment
Kubota L3200HST with Loaded R4 Tires, LA524 Loader and Quick Connect 66" bucket
Jun 15, 2013
Madison, Ga
So I normally attach a drag harrow to my RCR1860 rotary cutter when cutting the pasture to help break up the horse manure piles. Anyway, yesterday without thinking I backed up over the drag harrow with the cutter turning. Of course, the harrow was broken into about 10 pieces but my bigger concern is the cutter. When I looked at it the two cutting blades were right behind each other. I am not sure but I suspect that the bolts holding the blades were just loosened and if tightened up again they would be fine because it doesn't look like there is any real damage to the cutter or blades. In fact, the harrow getting torn up knocked off some of the built-up grass clippings stuck underneath the cutter housing. I also did turn on the rotary cutter at an idle and it seemed to turn fine.

Is there anything else I should be looking at or should I just tighten up the bolts? Just want to make sure safety precautions are taken before I put this back into full service.

Thanks!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
On both my choppers (bat wing and flat) Land Prides, the blades are free swinging. In fact, on the bat wing in the raised position, both blades hang straight down.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
It sounds to me that the cutter's stump jumper and blades did their job. The blades should be swinging free.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
The blades are fine unless they're bound and can't swing out. In that case you may need to "encourage" them to swing out. There is a reason the bolts aren't tight. Centripetal force keeps the blades out unless they hit something.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The blades are fine unless they're bound and can't swing out. In that case you may need to "encourage" them to swing out. There is a reason the bolts aren't tight. Centripetal force keeps the blades out unless they hit something.
I believe you are describing Centrifugal force, that force which slings the blades out in an arc.
Centripital force is the force felt by the spindle/stump-jumper near the bolts...or the force which tries to stretch the blades toward their inner end. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

kkk

Banned

Equipment
rtv900 /u15 ex/WP 955/woodmizer LT15
Apr 10, 2020
OreGun, BLM
Bolts should BE tight.
Mine have a shouldered area where the blade is to allow blades to swing.
Bolt threads into plate above stump jumper then a lock washer and nut lock it in place from top side.
I'm sure other Brands may differ slightly.......