Saving the planet

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I recently did some business with local armish that had moved in the next town over in 2020. I sold them some maple supplies and stopped to drop off some plastic containers. My girlfriend was anxious to go with me to see the armish settlement.
But they had solar panels and generators running. From their house to the main road where the power lines are is 500' , maybe less. My girlfriend was very disappointed to see the modern armish.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I recently did some business with local armish that had moved in the next town over in 2020. I sold them some maple supplies and stopped to drop off some plastic containers. My girlfriend was anxious to go with me to see the armish settlement.
But they had solar panels and generators running. From their house to the main road where the power lines are is 500' , maybe less. My girlfriend was very disappointed to see the modern armish.
That does not sound right. Something is "Amish" here.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Since they aren't allowed to get electricity from the utilities, a lot of the Amish around here have solar panels on their barns and outbuildings. They use the power for well pumps, power tools and lighting in the buildings. Same with gas, can't use natural gas, but can use propane.
The local Amish welding/fabrication shop I frequent is pretty large, four buildings I think, powered by a diesel generator. A while back I heard an electric calculator on one of the offices, and recently I saw an old word processor unit setting on the customer service desk. They have a telephone/answering machine and a fax machine in the neighbor's garage across the street, and now several of them carry cell phones.

It all depends on the how liberal the local bishop is as to what they can use.

They aren't allowed to have cars or trucks, so a couple of the local Amish building contractors pull their equipment/supply trailers from job to job with a tractor. I see them tooling down US20 occasionally.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Guess you got up on the wrong side of the bed, or maybe just have a burr under your saddle. The folks I know are very hard workers, and the children are taught how to work at a young age. They are courteous, friendly, and helpful. The adult all have some skill they use to sustain them. I don't know any who rely on the govt nipple. Wouldn't we all be better off if everyone acted like that?

Reactions: 6 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Must be a different breed out there my friend, most all I have had the displeasure to deal with,,,, well lets say they think they are entitled. And thats all I will say

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
We have a Mennonite community nearby. They are a very industrious community. When looking at their farms you can see how well maintained they are. All their crops are tended with obvious care. Their children are well behaved and respectful. I have never heard of any of them, or their children being involved in any criminal activity. I am proud to know some of these people on a personal level.

Reactions: 4 users

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
We have had mennoites here about 7 or 8 years now. One owns the local hardware has 8 kids, one owns a local garage repair shop he has 8 kids. The the community of mennoites live up in Brownfield and they opened a market. They sell everything you'd basically need. Milk and foods and frozen pizza ect. After a couple years they built on, then built on again. They also built a bakery down the road a mile from the store. They sell at the store fresh breads , cookies, pies ect from their own bakery.
And up the road a few more miles the mennoites put in a chicken barn(big) and sell chickens and eggs. The mennoites work hard and with big familys support all the other business they own. One local farmer customer I have says the mennoites don't employ outsiders and do nothing for the cumminuty...lol. But most like them. They don't steal or vandalize or sell drugs. They work hard and mate.

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Idle thought here, most of the comments above on the Amish or Mennonites are written as though they will never read them, but if some use tractors and some have cell phones, it seems plausible that some may read OTT?

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Idle thought here, most of the comments above on the Amish or Mennonites are written as though they will never read them, but if some use tractors and some have cell phones, it seems plausible that some may read OTT?
I kind of doubt that any Amish or Mennonites will be reading OTT. I am speaking of experience with those Mennonites that I know personally. They do not even use email for personal use. The ones that I know who run a business use email only for business use, and only check it once per day. Their internet use is so limited as to be almost non-existent by modern standards. This is not to say that other congregants do not act differently. I am speaking only from the perspective of those that I know personally.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Must be a different breed out there my friend, most all I have had the displeasure to deal with,,,, well lets say they think they are entitled. And thats all I will say
You have to be sure whether you're dealing with Amish, conservative Mennonites or regular Mennonites. Of all the Amish I have ever known, they were to a man or woman some of the nicest, friendly and hard working people I have ever met. Conservative Mennonites are a lot more cliquish, but still mostly pretty nice. Your regular run of the mill Mennonites are a lot less so, and only look out for themselves, and can be pricks to deal with. A long time friend who had a business selling cabinetry and countertops to Mennonite businesses had no use for them, called them Menno-tights.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Why are you wasting time putting people into categories? There are good people and bad people in every group. Why not deal with the good people and ignore or work around the bad ones.

There are some good people on OTT and there are some real a$$holes. Should we condemn the whole forum for the few?

Reactions: 2 users