Sam Adams

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I saw that. $240 for a 25 oz bottle that is 25 percent plus alcohol? Beer yeast or even champagne yeast cannot ferment to that level.

So they are mixing in alcohol from another source and calling it beer.

I could do the same buying a cheap bottle of grain alcohol and mixing it with any beer of my choice.

That being said, just for personal experience I might spend $10 for an ounce of this “beer”, just to see what it was. Probably would be happy to share that ounce with a couple others. But who knows?

Still not really beer in the purest sense though.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
We New Englanders haven't really liked Sam Adams beer in a solid 15 years or more. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Can’t figure out why they’d do that other than get attention. It’s not horrible beer, but there are lots I like better.

Btw, if I want more alcohol, I’ll simply drink Bourbon with zero carbs and much more alcohol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I saw that. $240 for a 25 oz bottle that is 25 percent plus alcohol? Beer yeast or even champagne yeast cannot ferment to that level.

So they are mixing in alcohol from another source and calling it beer.

I could do the same buying a cheap bottle of grain alcohol and mixing it with any beer of my choice.

That being said, just for personal experience I might spend $10 for an ounce of this “beer”, just to see what it was. Probably would be happy to share that ounce with a couple others. But who knows?

Still not really beer in the purest sense though.
not quite true, for the highest ABV beers, the sugars (from malt or wherever) have to be fed to the yeast gradually. You start with a wort that would make, say, eight percent ABV beer and add more sugars every few days. This stresses the yeast less and enables them to keep kicking when they’d ordinarily be all kinds of dead. This isn’t a new thing.

I’ve had barley wines that are closing in on 20%. Goose island makes a bourbon county stout once a year and it comes in around 15% give or take depending on the year. It’s aged in empty bourbon barrels but I’m pretty sure the high alc comes form the fermentation process not necessarily from the bourbon residue left in the barrels. I had one at Goose one year that had 50lbs of cherries added to the barrel. It was damn good!!

you are correct that you could probably share a small glass of the SA. Often times when served on premise they’ll serve 4-6 oz per pour.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Sam Adams made a Barley Wine back in the 90’s. It was sold in a small blue bottle, 10oz I believe. It was more of an after dinner drink and you sipped it from a very small glass. If I remember it was up around 45% ABV. Interesting but it took me years to finish that bottle. I think I ended up dumping the last few ounces

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
not quite true, for the highest ABV beers, the sugars (from malt or wherever) have to be fed to the yeast gradually. You start with a wort that would make, say, eight percent ABV beer and add more sugars every few days. This stresses the yeast less and enables them to keep kicking when they’d ordinarily be all kinds of dead. This isn’t a new thing.

I’ve had barley wines that are closing in on 20%. Goose island makes a bourbon county stout once a year and it comes in around 15% give or take depending on the year. It’s aged in empty bourbon barrels but I’m pretty sure the high alc comes form the fermentation process not necessarily from the bourbon residue left in the barrels. I had one at Goose one year that had 50lbs of cherries added to the barrel. It was damn good!!

you are correct that you could probably share a small glass of the SA. Often times when served on premise they’ll serve 4-6 oz per pour.
Yea, but there is a HUGE difference between 20 percent and 28 percent!

From that article: Samuel Adams' latest version of its limited-quantity "Utopias" beer is so strong that the 28% alcohol content makes it illegal in 15 U.S. states.

I have been out of home brewing for a while...but would love to know what brewing yeast can ferment to 28 percent alcohol.

My guess still is that they are blending distilled spirits into the mix to produce a high alcohol "beer".

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Yea, but there is a HUGE difference between 20 percent and 28 percent!

From that article: Samuel Adams' latest version of its limited-quantity "Utopias" beer is so strong that the 28% alcohol content makes it illegal in 15 U.S. states.

I have been out of home brewing for a while...but would love to know what brewing yeast can ferment to 28 percent alcohol.

My guess still is that they are blending distilled spirits into the mix to produce a high alcohol "beer".
Quite possible they're using something other than ale/lager yeast, but yeasts for whiskey often leave nasty off tastes that get removed during distillation. Most of the bourbon taste and color comes from aging in various storage containers, most of which are wood and charred on the inside. It's pretty much undrinkable right out of the still.

Can't distill the nasties out of beer, because beer can't be distilled and keep it's flavors. But, it wouldn't be the first time a craft brewer used something for which it was never intended. Nor would it be the first time I've seen beer tweaked with grain alcohol.

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I actually met someone who has tried the Sam Adams 28% beer. He is a self proclamed beer conasure whos a pharmacist also. He said they have made and released it for several years as he tried it ten years ago when a friend brought a bottle to a cookout for everyone to try. He said it actually burnt your lips when you sipped it. Nothing he would want to try again and he's tried thousands of beers.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I actually met someone who has tried the Sam Adams 28% beer. He is a self proclamed beer conasure whos a pharmacist also. He said they have made and released it for several years as he tried it ten years ago when a friend brought a bottle to a cookout for everyone to try. He said it actually burnt your lips when you sipped it. Nothing he would want to try again and he's tried thousands of beers.
Interesting. I think I would now after reading that report reduce my interest to perhaps two dollars for a teaspoon taste...and offer to share it with a close friend...LOL