Salt Spreader implement

Billybone231

Equipment
B2650 Cab B2782B RCR1860
Nov 20, 2020
Lyons Falls, NY.
Hello all, new member here. Recently purchased a B2650 with snowblower and have a poly spreader that I would like to utilize to throw some salt type product on my steep gravel-stone driveway after I make a pass or two to keep the icing down when needed.
For those of you who have used a salt type product, what have you used with good results. I see rock salt at Tractor Supply for $6.50 for 50# bags, which is good but doesn't really perform in the lower temps, then of course there is better Calcium Chloride for more then double the price to be spreading around.
This is my first driveway like so in this climate where it will be a struggle if I dont get it right.
Any help from the members with similar type driveways that can be challenging in winter months, I would appreciate the input on what you have used or have had issues with.
Thanks!
Billy.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Gravel Driveway
I use rock salt, think it's good to around 17 degrees. Have Calcium Chloride for severe weather temps. NOTE: CACL is an extremely corrosive salt. It can pull moisture from the air and can be sprayed on gravel roads to control dust. CACL good down to -40 degrees. Magnesium Chloride (usually blended) good to -15 to -25. I use the cheapest product for expected temps.

You need a gas or battery powered blower to remove excess salt from tractor/spreader. I have Dewalt tools, this is what I use

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If use use sand instead of salt, it will keep from melting the the gravel and turning it into mud.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Without seeing the 'lay of the land' be SURE to toss the first snow...far,far away. Ddon't just pile it up 5-10-20 feet from the driveway. If you form a snow/ice berm too close then where does the snow melt go ? back onto the driveway ! Also ANY salt is corrosive, just look at cars,well what's left of them ,after 3-4-5 seasons in Ontario....sigh. I use sand after seeing the damage it did to the concrete pad($$$$$$).
Also be sure ground is FROZEN before removing the snow,otherwise your 'summer job' will be to put the gravel tossed into the grass BACK onto the road.....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I use sand also. Sometimes throw pellet stove ashes on it if sunny.

Local highway departments around here are usually okay with residents filling up 5 gallon buckets as needed. My driveway is short, so I can go a winter with 10 buckets or so.

doublebass73

Equipment
L2501F, 68" Pull Type Snowblower, Spreader, Dirt Scoop
Oct 7, 2020
NH
I use sand most of the time. Regular rock salt if I do use salt. I ruined some concrete steps using salt on those so it's sand only on those. I also use woodstove ash which is my favorite.

Billybone231

Equipment
B2650 Cab B2782B RCR1860
Nov 20, 2020
Lyons Falls, NY.
Interesting responses here, thank you. As far as the "lay of the land" I have a newly installed bluestone/gravel driveway with a large base/smaller size stone on top and all set on top of a driveway/landscape fabric to prevent washing out. Over 150' -200' it rises approx 30-40' in elevation. It has been a little loose yet being the traffic ive had here with workers etc driving up the incline and not being in 4WD, so you can imagine that ive been filling in small ruts often.
Sand would be nice but come spring, all i will have is a sand driveway mixed with stone. Something I wanted to avoid for now. I have the correct size blower and obviously will want that snow tossed into the woods far away from where i am working. As far as being sure the ground is frozen before snowblowing, how is that actually possible??? If my driveway is frozen then how shall I be able to drive up it?
My idea of trying to manipulate the snowblower height so to skim the gravel at some level and shoot snow should be quite an interesting task being i have yet to use it.
For those here who have the B2872B like myself, are you able to set the shoe hei ght and not dig into gravel much?
When do you say, ok its time to blow snow? 4", 6", maybe less, or just wait til its stopped snowing and let er rip !?!
So, with that all said. hopefully with the snowblower attached and my spreader on the back with say 300# of salt/ballast, i am hoping to make a couple laps, get some of the big stuff out of the way and then drop a little rock salt to prevent ice slicks so I dont slide down or not be able to drive back up. Once you drive over some snow which packs into gravel, boom ya got ice so it will need some type of salt to melt. I dont see all to much sun within all the tall pine trees. Like I said challenging..
I didnt even get into chains yet. The local dealer didnt really seem like he was interested in even sharing any info with me other then saying, " you need spacers first $300, then chains, $250+" Not what I was looking to hear. I will try my spreader/ballast first and see what happens. Next I hire a plow guy and sell the tractor to pay him to do work that this tractor could'nt do.
I will have to try and figure out how to get some pics on here to better explain my scenario. Thanks again guys.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Interesting responses here, thank you. As far as the "lay of the land" I have a newly installed bluestone/gravel driveway with a large base/smaller size stone on top and all set on top of a driveway/landscape fabric to prevent washing out. Over 150' -200' it rises approx 30-40' in elevation. It has been a little loose yet being the traffic ive had here with workers etc driving up the incline and not being in 4WD, so you can imagine that ive been filling in small ruts often.
Sand would be nice but come spring, all i will have is a sand driveway mixed with stone. Something I wanted to avoid for now. I have the correct size blower and obviously will want that snow tossed into the woods far away from where i am working. As far as being sure the ground is frozen before snowblowing, how is that actually possible??? If my driveway is frozen then how shall I be able to drive up it?
My idea of trying to manipulate the snowblower height so to skim the gravel at some level and shoot snow should be quite an interesting task being i have yet to use it.
For those here who have the B2872B like myself, are you able to set the shoe hei ght and not dig into gravel much?
When do you say, ok its time to blow snow? 4", 6", maybe less, or just wait til its stopped snowing and let er rip !?!
So, with that all said. hopefully with the snowblower attached and my spreader on the back with say 300# of salt/ballast, i am hoping to make a couple laps, get some of the big stuff out of the way and then drop a little rock salt to prevent ice slicks so I dont slide down or not be able to drive back up. Once you drive over some snow which packs into gravel, boom ya got ice so it will need some type of salt to melt. I dont see all to much sun within all the tall pine trees. Like I said challenging..
I didnt even get into chains yet. The local dealer didnt really seem like he was interested in even sharing any info with me other then saying, " you need spacers first $300, then chains, $250+" Not what I was looking to hear. I will try my spreader/ballast first and see what happens. Next I hire a plow guy and sell the tractor to pay him to do work that this tractor could'nt do.
I will have to try and figure out how to get some pics on here to better explain my scenario. Thanks again guys.
Happy Thanksgiving!
I am not sure how a plow would be any different than your set up as far as results.

The plow will have to wait for a base to keep from grading your driveway, so he'll drive on it and make icy paths to deal with.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Stone will not compress. You need to add binder to it if you want it to hold. Sprinkle some crush on it and it will set right up.

If you want to keep the loose stone, forget the salt. Get a land plane and after you are done clearing the snow, run the plane over it. No need for salt, sand or anything.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Happy Thanksgiving!
I set my shoes with the blower on my concrete garage floor so that there is 1/2-3/4” gap under the blower cutting edge. As far as chains, try it without and see how you make out. With that much slope, you may find that you want them. It might pay to bite the bullet and be done with it. Both items can be bought aftermarket. As far as salt, your choice, but you may find that the salt keeps the surface of the gravel from freezing and you end up peeling it off when you snowblow depending on how much salt you put down.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Happy Thanksgiving!
So I'm just up the road from you and have the same issues over the years.1st- I studded all four tires, 2-paved the driveway,3rd I use a 60/40% mix of sand and salt seems to work out the best, the sand will give a bit traction when the salt stops works below 10F or so and you know we see our fair share of those days up here in the North Country.

doublebass73

Equipment
L2501F, 68" Pull Type Snowblower, Spreader, Dirt Scoop
Oct 7, 2020
NH
With that much of a grade on your driveway you will want to buy the best chains you can afford.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
To the OP, with as much slope as you are describing you will likely discover that you really need chains. You really don't want to lose control of your tractor and slide downhill. As another poster said, you may want to just bite the bullet and buy spacers and chains. It is much better to be safe than sorry.

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I've had a tractor-mounted blower since 2002. If my driveway is not frozen down, the blower shoes can dig in if the stone isn't firm/solid.

Like NHSledogg said, a firm driveway is important before the snow flies.

I modified the shoes on my BX2750D blower. They're much longer and wider than stock now. Helps a lot.

I try to allow a snow/ice "base" to develop, which helps.

Something that I have found is that on my stone driveway, rock salt just seems to melt holes through the ice cover, and really does almost no good on the surface.

In fact, it seems to make more ice when things get colder than the NaCl's effective temperature.

Last edited:

Billybone231

Equipment
B2650 Cab B2782B RCR1860
Nov 20, 2020
Lyons Falls, NY.
I've had a tractor-mounted blower since 2002. If my driveway is not frozen down, the blower shoes can dig in if the stone isn't firm/solid.

Like NHSledogg said, a firm driveway is important before the snow flies.

I modified the shoes on my BX2750D blower. They're much longer and wider than stock now. Helps a lot.

I try to allow a snow/ice "base" to develop, which helps.

Something that I have found is that on my stone driveway, rock salt just seems to melt holes through the ice cover, and really does almost no good on the surface.

In fact, it seems to make more ice when things get colder than the NaCl's effective temperature.
If at all possible, in the near future maybe you can post a pic of your modified snowblower shoes. The shoes that are designed for this blower could use some additional help as you have found out.

Billybone231

Equipment
B2650 Cab B2782B RCR1860
Nov 20, 2020
Lyons Falls, NY.
Much thanks for the input here from all. I see the task at hand (SNOW) can and will be a burden for me all winter (which means well into Spring season for me).
I have priced a set of chains for my R4 tires @$230.00 US @ the local farm supply in stock. Although, they seem like they could be less aggressive then what I may require but still is better then having none.
With snow already on the ground here today (1-2") I will eventually have to make a pass with some type of salt or salt/sand mix.
I am seeing now as many have stated that its good to have a base for the blower to operate on without picking up gravel/stone etc. but, at as the grade increases we will be needing good traction for getting in and out of the home regularly and not having to worry about not making it up to the house. All this comes at a price to pay it seems as in, I will be dragging loose stone with the blower and aiming it away from where it can damage something and I will be repairing ruts and resurfacing regularly.
I have yet to hear from a local plow person that I can hire when not at the home to at least be able to gain entry so hopefully will come up with a plan and have material on hand to use asap.
Still awaiting a part for my spreader that will aim material in a more downward directed motion. Time will tell. Tough times here in the North Country, lol...
Again, much appreciated replies. I will be starting a couple other posts for other issues that I have come across in regard to my snowblower hydraulic problem that I would like to remedy as well as an HST pedal sticking which can be dangerous and problematic for starting.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Went cheap about 6yrs ago. Bought a dry material spreader at Rural King and a 2" reciever tube from harbor freight and ubolted it atop land pride blade. Made wooden frame with plastic top to keep salt in while blading. To keep salt in drive attached empty feed sacks for deflectors. Variable speed motor run at 2 out of 10 speed. Have to blow excess salt of after each use. Have to repair every season, rusting causes on/off flow gate to seize up. 2 or 3 more seasons and I'll invest in proper spreader.
20201202_144611.jpg

20201202_144628.jpg

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Check out https://www.tirechain.com/. They have a big selection of styles and some pretty good prices. I bought a couple sets from them.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If at all possible, in the near future maybe you can post a pic of your modified snowblower shoes. The shoes that are designed for this blower could use some additional help as you have found out.
These are shoes for a BX2750D blower. The linked thread is where I lined them with UHMW. It also has a link for where I made them bigger/longer.

The shoe designs vary by model. But it gives you an idea what I came up with, starting with the stock shoe I had as a foundation.

Last edited: