Safety Section

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
This Post:

Has had an amazing discussion of a safety incident that happened to a member and has grown into almost a general safety thread. It could be a good addition to the site to add a section for safety discussions. It would be a place to discuss Near misses, safety equipment that people use, and even incidents that occur (without graphic photos).

I know that common sense should drive most things but complacency gets everyone at some point and a reminder to avoid complacency is always a boon in my eyes. There is a lot that can be learned from near misses and having a dedicated place for these discussions could be a good place for people to learn and discuss from others experience. It could also be a good place for a sticky thread for things like some hearing protection (I have seen more than a few threads on this), gloves, chainsaw chaps, and other safety equipment/ppe that usually end up in the Off Topic section.

It would probably be a slower section but would contain some very valuable information.

Reactions: 4 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
This Post:

Has had an amazing discussion of a safety incident that happened to a member and has grown into almost a general safety thread. It could be a good addition to the site to add a section for safety discussions. It would be a place to discuss Near misses, safety equipment that people use, and even incidents that occur (without graphic photos).

I know that common sense should drive most things but complacency gets everyone at some point and a reminder to avoid complacency is always a boon in my eyes. There is a lot that can be learned from near misses and having a dedicated place for these discussions could be a good place for people to learn and discuss from others experience. It could also be a good place for a sticky thread for things like some hearing protection (I have seen more than a few threads on this), gloves, chainsaw chaps, and other safety equipment/ppe that usually end up in the Off Topic section.

It would probably be a slower section but would contain some very valuable information.
I agree. Would love to see more topic about safe working load and proper rigging. I am always amazed what I see posted and discussed as normal use.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I think this would be a great addition to a great site.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Why don't we add a common sense forum also? We could also add spellin, punkunation, and grameer to the list. How about a mental health forum ?

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Why don't we add a common sense forum also? We could also add spellin, punkunation, and grameer to the list. How about a mental health forum ?
Sometimes as INTERNET acquaintances from years gone by I think a mental health forum might work well for the both of us…LOL

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Ever have a lapse in judgment and after the fact go "wow that was dumb" (not including ex SOs) or done something entirely new to you and afterwards go "wow that was really unsafe I need to make some changes before doing that again"? A safety forum would give a centralized place to learn from other people's (hopefully near miss) mistakes or ask for specifically safety advice (PPE, watch outs, common pitfalls, how to not end up in the hospital or the morgue).

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I thought the MEME post chain was the mental health forum.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Good point. Everyone is going to do (spell, write, etc.) what they want regardless of what the forum suggests.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Good point. Everyone is going to do (spell, write, etc.) what they want regardless of what the forum suggests.
They will, but a safety section isn't a rule book. It would be a location for useful information, questions, suggestions and discussion (just like everything else here). Nothing forces people to follow the advice there or even to read it for that matter. Just like nothing forces you not to put gasoline in the tank of a diesel tractor or truck, but they still stamp the cap with "low sulfur diesel only" as a "hey quick double check here buddy."

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Kubota must think that the Kubota buyer is smarter than the average bear because I have not seen any labels on Kubota tractors that are sold for homeowner use that says "Use diesel fuel only".

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
I like the idea of Safety, but Health.....now that isn't really related to tractors. I prefer to keep that separate and frankly off of tractor forums. Just my $.02

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
I like the idea of Safety, but Health.....now that isn't really related to tractors. I prefer to keep that separate and frankly off of tractor forums. Just my $.02
Agreed, the number of people on the forum that have the professional ability to help with health (of any kind) are probably in the low double digits and that should be handled on a different platform.

OntheRidge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L47 TLB, Homestead 55" grapple, LP 1684 rear blade, WR Long 84" snowplow
Nov 1, 2020
Kubota must think that the Kubota buyer is smarter than the average bear because I have not seen any labels on Kubota tractors that are sold for homeowner use that says "Use diesel fuel only".

Attachments

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
If I sell my 'oldie' orange to a young suburban person I may need to add a fast safety lesson.
There are NO safety switches. Do something really stupid and this tractor will run you over and the mower will spit out a thousand pieces. Tractor will stop when it hits a big tree or steep ditch.

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
They will, but a safety section isn't a rule book. It would be a location for useful information, questions, suggestions and discussion (just like everything else here). Nothing forces people to follow the advice there or even to read it for that matter. Just like nothing forces you not to put gasoline in the tank of a diesel tractor or truck, but they still stamp the cap with "low sulfur diesel only" as a "hey quick double check here buddy."
agree..... maybe can convey some learning to newbies who haven't grown up around tractors or had no mentors or experienced family members. Many urbanites who get first "tractor" can glean some learning.....

like put your dam ROPS up especially when running around your yard with bucket raised full height while cutting grass .... but neighbour having FL full height gives me better visibility ...... and ROPS down because my garage door is low.... I see a guy down the road from my cottage do this all the time cause he can't remember (or is too lazy) to lower his ROPS when done and doesn't understand center of gravity.

Probably a good idea for a forum that has a lot of first time tractor owners.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
A Safety - Health Board could also be a place for us to share bonehead stuff that hurt and maybe keep others from making the same mistake.

Would this be possible @Mr. K ?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
A Safety - Health Board could also be a place for us to share bonehead stuff that hurt and maybe keep others from making the same mistake.
Exactly and it gives the OP a chance to reflect on the mistake and what they should have done instead.

MaccGreen

Equipment
Sitka
Sep 5, 2022
New Jersey
Hey, that's a fantastic idea. A dedicated safety discussion section could really benefit everyone. I recall a time when a colleague's safety vest saved them from a potential accident – it made me realize the importance of proper gear. Threads on safety equipment like those from https://www.fullsource.com/safety-vests/ could be super informative.

Last edited: