Ruptured hydraulic line

Maine Kurby

Equipment
M5400
May 24, 2020
Maine
Was driving tractor and line up by FEL burst and sprayed on me - don’t know anything about hydraulic lines do I need to be worried re: personal safety?

Maine Kurby

Equipment
M5400
May 24, 2020
Maine
Not unless your skin was broken, an injection of high pressure fluid is not a good thing!
I don’t think it was broken anywhere - have what I’m pretty sure is bug bite bleeding. Does the distance matter? Would think I’d be okay since it burst up by the bucket?

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
No you'll be fine, rub some mud on that bug bite. :)
But always wear gloves when connecting and disconnecting HYD. lines that's the weak/wear point on the lines.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
As stated above, you are fine. You have to be pretty close to the leak point to be in danger.

Where I worked once there was a story about an operator of some machinery that developed a hydraulic leak, holding his finger/thumb over the leak to prevent a mess. It became a very serious issue as the hydraulic fluid was injected and his hand.

At a distance the spray is not dangerous aside from what risks exposure to it might be, which is likely minimal.

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Had the same thing happen on my loader. Got a warm shower in hydraulic fluid and needed it repaired ASAP. Wiped off my face and arms, took off the offending hose, tossed it in a bucket, and off to get a new hose. As soon as I walked in with the bucket, before he can even see what’s in the bucket, guy behind the counter says, “Let me guess. You need a hydraulic hose to match the busted one in the bucket and two gallons of hydraulic oil?” I’m still alive and have yet to lose any body parts.

No worse than motor oil, diesel fuel, or gasoline if it’s just on your skin (not injected). I think everyone has heard a story about a guy who ran his bare hand along a line trying to locate a pinhole leak and got a finger or two amputated due to oil injection. It does happen. The injection stuff is real but getting showered with it is just an inconvenience. Of course you shouldn’t bathe in it routinely but that should be obvious.

Maine Kurby

Equipment
M5400
May 24, 2020
Maine
Had the same thing happen on my loader. Got a warm shower in hydraulic fluid and needed it repaired ASAP. Wiped off my face and arms, took off the offending hose, tossed it in a bucket, and off to get a new hose. As soon as I walked in with the bucket, before he can even see what’s in the bucket, guy behind the counter says, “Let me guess. You need a hydraulic hose to match the busted one in the bucket and two gallons of hydraulic oil?” I’m still alive and have yet to lose any body parts.

No worse than motor oil, diesel fuel, or gasoline if it’s just on your skin (not injected). I think everyone has heard a story about a guy who ran his bare hand along a line trying to locate a pinhole leak and got a finger or two amputated due to oil injection. It does happen. The injection stuff is real but getting showered with it is just an inconvenience. Of course you shouldn’t bathe in it routinely but that should be obvious.
Good to know! Now I’ve just gotta learn how to replace it!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Simply use two wrenches to remove each end. Hold the one that does not turn and turn the other fitting loose. Do both ends and you're ready to go to town. Have them make the same length hose with the same fittings. A NAPA or other handy auto parts store can probably make your hose, you do not need to get a "Kubota" hose!

Whenever there is a hyd. leak spraying out fluid, never put any body part over the spray. If you have to block the spray use a heavy piece of cardboard of heavy coat. When you get your new hose it's best to blow high pressure air though it to make sure and crumbs from cutting the new hose are flushed out and not left in the line to get in your hyd. system.

Maine Kurby

Equipment
M5400
May 24, 2020
Maine
Simply use two wrenches to remove each end. Hold the one that does not turn and turn the other fitting loose. Do both ends and you're ready to go to town. Have them make the same length hose with the same fittings. A NAPA or other handy auto parts store can probably make your hose, you do not need to get a "Kubota" hose!

Whenever there is a hyd. leak spraying out fluid, never put any body part over the spray. If you have to block the spray use a heavy piece of cardboard of heavy coat. When you get your new hose it's best to blow high pressure air though it to make sure and crumbs from cutting the new hose are flushed out and not left in the line to get in your hyd. system.
That’s super helpful thank you!!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Next time you are ready to throw away an old pair of jeans…… cut the legs off… split them down one seam … and wrap the legging around the hoses up near wherever you sit or work…. like where all the hoses come into the FEL joystick, or at the rear outlets, etc. … then either use tye-wraps (or if you can get her to do it, get your wife to sew Velcro all along that seam you split to put the legging/sleeve to encapsulate the hose bundle.
Not only will this protect your from getting sprayed with hydraulic fluid should a hose burst… it will also prevent any jet of fluid from injecting your arm or skin.
Old denim jean leggings or sleeves cut off an old canvas welding jacket, etc etc can work fine for this task also.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Wait! We're not supposed to bathe in it???? When did that memo come out????
Just my opinion. If you can afford it and it makes you happy, do as you wish! (Until enough is absorbed through your skin that you can no longer do as you wish.) IMHO and YOLO and YMMV and all that other internet acronym disclaimer stuff. 😉

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
guy I used to work with, was previously employed by a logging company

I asked him the name of the company when i interviewed him initially, way back in I think 2011? He said it was "add another bucket logging". Straight faced monotone. I was like ok what'd you do for them? "Logging". Ok I'm getting nowhere so I went to other questions.

so later on after he hired on I asked about it. What is "add another bucket logging"? He explained it like this: The feller-buncher he ran leaked so much oil that he'd have to put a bucket in about once an hour. This went on for 4 YEARS of him working there. Mind you what a bucket of ISO46 costs, 4 years, avg 217 days a year, avg 8 buckets a day. Boss was too cheap to fix it yet after all that time the accountant wanted to know why there was so much hydraulic oil being charged. Cause the boss is too cheap to fix a busted hose. In defense, the hose ran up inside the machine and was roughly 2" diameter, 12 foot long, and a royal pain in the neck to access the one end-hence why he didn't want to change it (downtime).

Sorry to go astray but the topic reminded me of that deal.