Ruptured Fuel line

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Had something happen that I did not expect today. As I was aerating my lawn I noticed oil spots on the aerator. When I got off the tractor and checked I found the fuel line had ruptured. Evidently this was caused when I was changing from a flail mower to a scrape blade I hung a wrench on the bracket behind the seat. When I raised the 3PH the wrench was caught between the 3PH arm and the rear body of the tractor causing it to bend. At the time I thought it was only body damage but in actuality it pushed the fuel line into a bolt causing a rupture of the fuel line. When my tractor is idling it doesn't leak but when a load is placed on the transmission calling for more power it sprays fuel.

It would be a simple fix if I could easily reach the the connections at each end of the fuel line but they are difficult to access. Anyone else had to replace the fuel line that runs from the fuel tank on the right side of the tractor to a connection on the left side of the tractor? I am thinking about just cutting out the bad area and splicing in a new connection.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
I'm not intimate with your model machine but based on your description I'm both surprised and somewhat at a loss.

The problem is described as arising because a wrench hung on the 3-point lift---on the rear of the tractor---crushed a line when lifted.

The picture I'm getting is that the fuel line runs around the rear of the tractor behind the operator's seat. Is the fuel tank beneath the seat (I've had another brand where that was the case)?

Also mentioned is that the line sprays when the transmission is "loaded" or engaged.

Is it possible the damaged line is actually a hydraulic line? And the fluid observed leaking is a light-weight perhaps dark-color hydraulic oil instead of diesel?

If so, and if the line is a low-pressure return line you might get away with splicing a section of hose into place.

If the hose is a hydraulic hose and is high pressure, then you're stuck with installing a pressure rated replacement.

Have you consulted a parts schematic, perhaps online at Kubota or Merricks?

My curiosity is bouncing around: please post back your determination as to line type and your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep that fuel line is in a bad spot, you need to pull the pan (fenders and such) to get to it, I wouldn't suggest splicing it.