Running a Grapple Off a Remote Circuit?

BoilerBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7060TH12 w/FEL, B2920 w/FEL B2401/FEL, B7100 w/60' deck,
Sep 22, 2020
Indiana
The Kubota circuit is not cheap as an add on and is "bang-bang". If anyone has experience running a grapple off the remote circuit, I would like to hear your input.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The Kubota circuit is not cheap as an add on and is "bang-bang". If anyone has experience running a grapple off the remote circuit, I would like to hear your input.
Whats to know? It will operate fine but not as operator friendly as the solenoid valve with joystick switch.

Dan

civlized

May 8, 2023
Central Alabama
Cheapest option is to get the diverter kit where you split off from your curl/lift function. My experience, you will probably end up wanting to be able to curl/lift at the same time you open or close the grapple. True third function is well worth the money, in my opinion. If you start with it, you will most likely save money in the long run due to not buying the diverter and being dissatisfied at some point to end up with the third function anyway.

Hoses running from the back are kind of a pain. Will work.

There are some aftermarket options out there for a little less money, and not difficult to install.

That was my experience, and I wasted money and time with the diverter. However, had I been on this forum at the time and been offered this advice, I would have still made the same mistake. I'm a little stubborn.:whistle: Don't tell anyone.

Which ever way you end up going, you will really enjoy a grapple!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea having to pull your hand off the loader control to close or open a grapple is not very user friendly.
I find myself running lift, roll, and squeeze all in one motion and all at the same time.

Reactions: 1 user

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Yea having to pull your hand off the loader control to close or open a grapple is not very user friendly.
I find myself running lift, roll, and squeeze all in one motion and all at the same time.
X2

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Mine is plumbed to the remote. It works “ok”. I agre that ”third function “ would be smoother and more convenient.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have a Landpride true 3rd function on my BX23S and an older grapple on the bucket. It works well and smoothly. In the winter I use the 3rd function to change the chute hood so the snow goes where I want it to. It was expensive when I bought it and today it is even more expensive, but I would still do it all over again just for the convenience.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I have a diverter on the curl circuit. Not as good as a true 3rd function. If I was doing something like loading logs on trailers 10 hours a day 6 days a week, I’m pretty sure I’d care; a lot. I don’t do that. So I’m fine with the loss of efficiency not being able to curl and open/close simultaneously. I would NOT be fine with having to take my hand off the stick to reach down by my right hip to move a rear remote lever every time I opened or closed the grapple. That’s even worse than the diverter as you can’t move the boom or curl while opening/closing the grapple because your hand is on the loader stick or remote lever but can’t be on both.

I’d rather make due with forks and skip the grapple rather than constantly going from stick to lever and back. And that’s a strong statement because if you deal with trees or brush, grapples are awesome.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Had I known 5 years ago, I'd be moving a small forest's worth of brush, I'd have gotten a 2601 and a grapple but I've been impressed with what the BX23S and the pallet forks can move !!! Almost 1100 hrs on the beastie, probably 1/3rd has been 'brush relocation'.
3rd function using 'button on joystick' works well for a grapple as you just 'open or close' then do something else, unlike requiring 'feathering' the controls for precise operations.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have run a grapple using a manual valve mounted just to the right of the loader joystick. It works fine but is not optimal. It was a quick and dirty way to get the grapple into service. I already had the valve and the means to mount and plumb it into the LA525 loader valve.

That manual valve will get replaced with a DIY electric valve with joystick control ASAP. The added cost is marginal and the advantages are too significant to forgo. I understand your concerns with the cost of the Kubota kits. Have you considered a DIY version?

Dan

20210912_190954.jpg

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Used a rear remote for 3rd function on a 80’s era M5030 for decades. Liked the ability to throttle and detents with remote valve. Also the placement of the remote valve was convenient.

Remotes options for my newer M59 and B26 are not placed as conveniently and went with OEM 3rd function on the FEL stalk.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Here’s a possibility: